Robert P Behringer, J. B. Duke Professor (secondary appts: Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering & Material Sciences)
Office Location: 095 Physics
Office Phone: (919) 660-2550, (919) 660-2553
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Page: http://behringer.phy.duke.edu
Experimental condensed matter physics
Nonlinear dynamics and complex systems
Research Categories: Condensed Matter
Research Description: Dr. Behringer's research interests include granular materials: friction, earthquakes, jamming; nonlinear dynamics; and fluids: Rayleigh-Benard convection, the flow of thin liquid films, porous media flow, and quantum fluids. His studies focus particularly on experiments (with some theory/simulation) that yield new insights into the dynamics and complex behavior of these systems. His experiments involve a number of highly novel approaches, including the use of photoelasticity for probing granular systems, innovative experiments to characterize the stability of surface flows and properties of gels, and magnetic resonance imaging to study flows in porous media.
- J. Ren, J.A. Dijksman, and R.P. Behringer, Reynolds Pressure and Relaxation in a Sheared Granular System,
Phys, Rev, Lett
(Accepted, December, 2012) .
- A.H. Clark, P. Mort and R.P. Behringer, Coarse Graining for an Impeller-Driven Mixer System,
Granular Matter, vol. 14
(March, 2012) .
- L.Kondic, X. Fang, W Losert, C.S. O'Hern and R.P. Behringer, Microstructure Evolution during an Impact on a Granular Matter,
Phys, Rev, E, vol. 85 no. 011305
- A Tordesillas, D.M. Walker, G. Froyland, J. Zhang and R.P. Behringer, Transition Dynamics of Frictional Granular Clusters,
Phys, Rev, E, vol. 86
pp. 011306 .
- R.P. Behringer, D. Bi, J. Zhang and B. Chakraborty, Sheared Granular Materials near Jamming,
Proceedings of the 8th European Solid Mechanics Society
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Nicolas Brodu (October 01, 2012 - present)
- Joshua Dijksman (March 01, 2010 - present)
- Jie Zhang (2005 - present)
- Matthias Sperl (August, 2004 - November 28, 2006)
- Jean-Philippe Matas (2003/12-present)
- Brian Utter (2002/12-present)
- Karen Daniels (2002/12-present)
- Jeanman Sur (2002/12-present)
- Scott Paulson (2002/12-present)