Robert P Behringer, J. B. Duke Professor (secondary appts: Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering & Material Sciences)
Office Location: 095 Physics
Office Phone: (919) 660-2550, (919) 660-2553
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Page: http://behringer.phy.duke.edu
Experimental condensed matter physics
Nonlinear dynamics and complex systems
Research Categories: Condensed Matter
Research Description: Dr. Behringer's research interests include granular materials: friction, earthquakes, jamming; nonlinear dynamics; and fluids: Rayleigh-Benard convection, the flow of thin liquid films, porous media flow, and quantum fluids. His studies focus particularly on experiments (with some theory/simulation) that yield new insights into the dynamics and complex behavior of these systems. His experiments involve a number of highly novel approaches, including the use of photoelasticity for probing granular systems, innovative experiments to characterize the stability of surface flows and properties of gels, and magnetic resonance imaging to study flows in porous media.
- Abram, H. Clark, Alec J. Petersen, and R.P. Behringer, Collisional Model for Granular Impact Dynamics,
Phys. Rev. E, vol. 89
pp. 012201 .
- R.P. Behringer, Daping Bi, Bulbul Chakraborty, Abram Clark, Joshua Dijksman, Jie Ren and Jie Zhang, Statistical Properties of Granular Materials near Jamming,
J. Stat. Mech., vol. 6
pp. P06004 .
- C. Coulais, R.P. Behringer, and O. Dauchot, How the ideal Jamming point illuminates the world of granular media,
(2014) [doi] .
- David M. Walker, Antoinette Tordesillas, Michael Small, R.P. Behringer,and Chi K. Tse, A complex systems analysis of stick-slip dynamics of a laboratory fault,
Chaos, vol. 24
pp. 013132 .
- Somayeh Farhadi and R.P. Behringer, Dynamics of Sheared Ellipses and Circular Disks: Effects of Particle Shape,
Phys. Rev. Lett., vol. 112
pp. 148301 .
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Jonathan Bares (November 10, 2013 - present)
- Nicolas Brodu (October 1, 2012 - April 01, 2014)
- Joshua Dijksman (March 1, 2010 - February 01, 2014)
- Jie Zhang (2005 - January 01, 2010)
- Matthias Sperl (August, 2004 - November 28, 2006)
- Jean-Philippe Matas (2003/12-present)
- Brian Utter (2002/12-present)
- Karen Daniels (2002/12-present)
- Jeanman Sur (2002/12-present)
- Scott Paulson (2002/12-present)