Robert P Behringer, J. B. Duke Professor (secondary appts: Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering & Material Sciences)
Office Location: 095 Physics
Office Phone: (919) 660-2550, (919) 660-2553
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Page: http://behringer.phy.duke.edu
Experimental condensed matter physics
Nonlinear dynamics and complex systems
Research Categories: Condensed Matter
Research Description: Dr. Behringer's research interests include granular materials: friction, earthquakes, jamming; nonlinear dynamics; and fluids: Rayleigh-Benard convection, the flow of thin liquid films, porous media flow, and quantum fluids. His studies focus particularly on experiments (with some theory/simulation) that yield new insights into the dynamics and complex behavior of these systems. His experiments involve a number of highly novel approaches, including the use of photoelasticity for probing granular systems, innovative experiments to characterize the stability of surface flows and properties of gels, and magnetic resonance imaging to study flows in porous media.
Teaching (Spring 2014):
- Physics 513.01, Nonlinear dynamics
- Physics 150, WF 08:30 AM-09:45 AM
- Jie Ren, Joshua Dijksman and R. P. Behringer, Homoegneity and Packing Structure of a 2D shear Granular System,
Powders and Grains, 2013, AIP Conf. Proc. 1542
pp. 527 .
- Abram, H. Clark, Alec J. Petersen, R. P. Behringer, Collisional Model for Granular Impact Dynamics,
Phys, Rev. E--accepted, 2013
(Accepted, 2013) .
- Sumantra Sarkar, Dapeng Bi, Jie Zhang, R. P. Behringer and Bulbul Chakraborty, Origin of Rigidity in Dry Granular Solids,
Phys. Rev. Lett., vol. 1111
pp. 068301 .
- Dapeng Bi, Jie Zhang, R. P. Behringer, and Bulbul Chakrabory, Fluctuations in Shear-Jammed States: A Statistical Ensemble Approch,
Europhys. Lett., vol. 102
pp. 34002 .
- Abrahm Clark and R. P. Behringer, Granular Impact Model as an Energy-Depth Relation,
Europhys. Lett., vol. 101
pp. 64001 .
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Jonathan Bares (November 10, 2013 - present)
- Nicolas Brodu (October 01, 2012 - present)
- Joshua Dijksman (March 1, 2010 - January 01, 2014)
- Jie Zhang (2005 - present)
- Matthias Sperl (August, 2004 - November 28, 2006)
- Jean-Philippe Matas (2003/12-present)
- Brian Utter (2002/12-present)
- Karen Daniels (2002/12-present)
- Jeanman Sur (2002/12-present)
- Scott Paulson (2002/12-present)