Nicolas Buchler, Assistant Professor of Biology and Physics
Office Location: 2353A CIEMAS
Office Phone: (919) 699-8209
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Page: http://buchler.phy.duke.edu
Nonlinear dynamics and complex systems
PhD, University of Michigan, 2001
BS, University of California, San Diego, 1995
Teaching (Fall 2015):
- Physics 414.01, Introduction to biophysics
- Physics 154, MW 11:45 AM-01:00 PM
- M Zhou, W Wang, S Karapetyan, M Mwimba, J Marqués, NE Buchler, X Dong, Redox rhythm reinforces the circadian clock to gate immune response,
Nature, vol. 523
pp. 472-476 [doi] [abs].
- Y Tanouchi, A Pai, H Park, S Huang, R Stamatov, NE Buchler, L You, A noisy linear map underlies oscillations in cell size and gene expression in bacteria.,
Nature, vol. 523
pp. 357-360 [html], [doi] [abs].
- A Mazo-Vargas, H Park, M Aydin, NE Buchler, Measuring fast gene dynamics in single cells with time-lapse luminescence microscopy,
Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 25 no. 22
pp. 3699-708 [long], [doi] [abs].
- FR Cross, NE Buchler, JM Skotheim, Evolution of networks and sequences in eukaryotic cell cycle control.,
Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological sciences, vol. 366 no. 1584
pp. 3532-44 [doi] [abs].
- NE Buchler, FR Cross, Protein sequestration generates a flexible ultrasensitive response in a genetic network.,
Molecular Systems Biology, vol. 5
pp. 272 [doi] [abs].
- NE Buchler, M Louis, Molecular titration and ultrasensitivity in regulatory networks.,
Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 384 no. 5
pp. 1106-19 [doi] [abs].
Bistable and oscillatory dynamics in regulatory networks are essential for patterning, cell proliferation, and cell differentiation in biological systems. My lab takes an interdisciplinary approach (theory and experiment; physics and biology; synthetic and systems biology) to understand the diverse molecular and evolutionary mechanisms by which thresholds, combinatorial control, bistability, and oscillation have evolved in biological systems.
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Edgar Medina-Tovar
- Selcan Tuncay
- David Winski
- Mariana Gomez-Schiavon
- Anthony Burnetti
- Sargis Karapetyan
- Postdocs Mentored
- Anne M. Augustus (August 01, 2013 - present)
- Heungwon Park (September 01, 2010 - present)