Nicolas Buchler, Assistant Professor of Biology and Physics
Office Location: 2353A CIEMAS
Office Phone: (919) 699-8209
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Page: http://buchler.phy.duke.edu
Nonlinear dynamics and complex systems
PhD, University of Michigan, 2001
BS, University of California, San Diego, 1995
Teaching (Spring 2015):
- Housecs 59.08, House course (sp top)
- Few ff, Tu 04:45 PM-06:15 PM
- Biology 201l.001, Molecular biology
- Bryan center griffith f, MWF 10:05 AM-11:20 AM
- N. E. Buchler and F. R. Cross, Protein sequestration generates a flexible ultrasensitive response in a genetic network.,
Mol Syst Biol, vol. 5
pp. 272 [abs].
- N. E. Buchler and M. Louis, Molecular titration and ultrasensitivity in regulatory networks.,
J Mol Biol, vol. 384 no. 5
pp. 1106-19 [abs].
- G. Fritz and N. E. Buchler and T. Hwa and U. Gerland, Designing sequential transcription logic: a simple genetic circuit for conditional memory.,
Syst Synth Biol, vol. 1 no. 2
pp. 89-98 [abs].
- N. E. Buchler and U. Gerland and T. Hwa, Nonlinear protein degradation and the function of genetic circuits.,
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, vol. 102 no. 27
pp. 9559-64 [abs].
- N. E. Buchler and U. Gerland and T. Hwa, On schemes of combinatorial transcription logic.,
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, vol. 100 no. 9
pp. 5136-41 [abs].
Bistable and oscillatory dynamics in regulatory networks are essential for patterning, cell proliferation, and cell differentiation in biological systems. My lab takes an interdisciplinary approach (theory and experiment; physics and biology; synthetic and systems biology) to understand the diverse molecular and evolutionary mechanisms by which thresholds, combinatorial control, bistability, and oscillation have evolved in biological systems.
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Edgar Medina-Tovar
- Selcan Tuncay
- David Winski
- Mariana Gomez-Schiavon
- Anthony Burnetti
- Sargis Karapetyan
- Charlie Cooper
- Postdocs Mentored
- Anne M. Augustus (August 01, 2013 - present)