Nicolas Buchler, Assistant Professor of Biology and Physics
Office Location: Rm 2353a, Ciemas Bldg, 101 Science Drive, Duke Box 3382, Durham, NC 27710
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Page: http://buchler.phy.duke.edu
Nonlinear dynamics and complex systems
Ph.D., University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 2001
M.S., University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1998
B.S., University of California at San Diego, 1995
Teaching (Fall 2015):
- Physics 414.01, Introduction to biophysics
- Physics 154, MW 11:45 AM-01:00 PM
- AJ Burnetti, M Aydin and NE Buchler, Cell cycle Start is coupled to entry into the yeast metabolic cycle across diverse strains and growth rates.,
Molecular biology of the cell
(November, 2015) [abs].
- A Rienzo, D Poveda-Huertes, S Aydin, NE Buchler, A Pascual-Ahuir and M Proft, Different Mechanisms Confer Gradual Control and Memory at Nutrient- and Stress-Regulated Genes in Yeast.,
Molecular and cellular biology, vol. 35 no. 21
pp. 3669-3683 [doi] [abs].
- M Zhou, W Wang, S Karapetyan, M Mwimba, J Marqués, NE Buchler, X Dong, Redox rhythm reinforces the circadian clock to gate immune response.,
Nature, vol. 523 no. 7561
pp. 472-476 [doi] [abs].
- Y Tanouchi, A Pai, H Park, S Huang, R Stamatov, NE Buchler, L You, A noisy linear map underlies oscillations in cell size and gene expression in bacteria.,
Nature, vol. 523 no. 7560
pp. 357-360 [html], [doi] [abs].
- A Mazo-Vargas, H Park, M Aydin, NE Buchler, Measuring fast gene dynamics in single cells with time-lapse luminescence microscopy.,
Molecular biology of the cell, vol. 25 no. 22
pp. 3699-3708 [long], [doi] [abs].
Our lab is interested in the systems biology and evolution of epigenetic switches (bistability) and clocks (oscillators) in gene regulatory networks, two functions that are essential for proper patterning, cell proliferation, and cellular differentiation in biological systems. We also study biochemical oscillators such as the cell cycle, metabolic rhythms, and circadian clocks, which co-exist in the same cells and interact with one another through shared chemical and energy resources.
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Edgar Medina-Tovar
- Selcan Tuncay
- David Winski
- Mariana Gomez-Schiavon
- Anthony Burnetti
- Sargis Karapetyan
- Postdocs Mentored
- Anne M. Augustus (August 01, 2013 - present)
- Heungwon Park (September 01, 2010 - present)