Nicolas Buchler, Assistant Professor of Biology and Physics
Office Location: 2353A CIEMAS
Office Phone: (919) 699-8209
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Page: http://buchler.phy.duke.edu
Nonlinear dynamics and complex systems
PhD, University of Michigan, 2001
BS, University of California, San Diego, 1995
Teaching (Summer2 2015):
- Biology 493.01, Research independent study
- Tba, 12:00 AM-12:00 AM
- G. Fritz and N. E. Buchler and T. Hwa and U. Gerland, Designing sequential transcription logic: a simple genetic circuit for conditional memory.,
Syst Synth Biol, vol. 1 no. 2
pp. 89-98 [abs].
- N. E. Buchler and U. Gerland and T. Hwa, Nonlinear protein degradation and the function of genetic circuits.,
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, vol. 102 no. 27
pp. 9559-64 [abs].
- N. E. Buchler and U. Gerland and T. Hwa, On schemes of combinatorial transcription logic.,
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, vol. 100 no. 9
pp. 5136-41 [abs].
Bistable and oscillatory dynamics in regulatory networks are essential for patterning, cell proliferation, and cell differentiation in biological systems. My lab takes an interdisciplinary approach (theory and experiment; physics and biology; synthetic and systems biology) to understand the diverse molecular and evolutionary mechanisms by which thresholds, combinatorial control, bistability, and oscillation have evolved in biological systems.
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Edgar Medina-Tovar
- Selcan Tuncay
- David Winski
- Mariana Gomez-Schiavon
- Anthony Burnetti
- Sargis Karapetyan
- Postdocs Mentored
- Anne M. Augustus (August 01, 2013 - present)
- Heungwon Park (September 01, 2010 - present)