Haiyan Gao, Henry Newson Professor of Physics and Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs At DKU
Office Location: Ffsc 2313, Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
Office Phone: (919) 660-2622
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Page: http://www.tunl.duke.edu/~mep
Experimental nuclear physics
Ph.D., California Institute of Technology, 1994
B.S., Tsinghua University (China), 1988
Neutron EDM, Precision measurement of proton charge radius, Polarized Compton scattering, neutron and proton transversity, search for phi-N bound state, polarized photodisintegration of 3He
Research Description: Prof. Gao's research focuses on understanding the structure of the nucleon in terms of quark and gluon degrees of freedom of Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD), search for QCD exotics, and fundamental symmetry studies at low energy to search for new physics beyond the Standard Model of electroweak interactions.
Most of her work utilizes the novel experimental technique of scattering polarized electrons or photons from polarized gas targets. Her group has built a number of state-of-the-art polarized gas targets including H/D internal gas target and a high-pressure polarized 3He target for photon experiments using the High Intensity Gamma Source (HIGS) facility at the Duke Free Electron Laser Laboratory (DFELL). Currently, her group and collaborators from Indiana University are also employing such a high-pressure, thin-window polarized 3He target in a new search for spin-dependent short-range forces.
She and her group are also collaborating on a challenging experiment aiming at a major improvement over the current limit on the neutron electric dipole moment. Such an experiment will make important contributions to the understanding of CP violation and to the search of New Physics beyond the Standard Model. Her research is being carried out at Duke University, the Thomas Jefferson
National Accelerator Facility (JLab),the HIGS facility at DFELL, and the Fundamental Neutron Beam Line at the Spallation Neutron Source at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
Areas of Interest:
Nucleon structure (QCD Physics), Fundamental symmetry study, test of the Standard Model of Physics, development of polarized targets
- H Gao, C Peng and ZW Zhao, Experimental progress and status on nucleon electromagnetic form factors, edited by C Elster and DR Phillips and CD Roberts,
EPJ Web of Conferences, vol. 113
pp. 01012-01012 [doi] .
- C Peng and H Gao, Proton Charge Radius (PRad) Experiment at Jefferson Lab, edited by C Elster and DR Phillips and CD Roberts,
EPJ Web of Conferences, vol. 113
pp. 03007-03007 [doi] .
- I Akushevich, H Gao, A Ilyichev and M Meziane, Radiative corrections beyond the ultra relativistic limit in unpolarized ep elastic and Møller scatterings for the PRad Experiment at Jefferson Laboratory,
The European Physical Journal A, vol. 51 no. 1
(January, Accepted, 2015) [doi] .
- M Mihovilovič, G Jin, E Long, YW Zhang, K Allada, B Anderson, JR Annand, T Averett, W Boeglin, P Bradshaw, A Camsonne, M Canan, GD Cates, C Chen, JP Chen, E Chudakov, R De Leo, X Deng, A Deltuva, A Deur, C Dutta, L El Fassi, D Flay, S Frullani, F Garibaldi, H Gao, S Gilad, R Gilman, O Glamazdin, J Golak, S Golge, J Gomez, O Hansen, DW Higinbotham, T Holmstrom, J Huang, H Ibrahim, CW de Jager, E Jensen, X Jiang, M Jones, H Kang, J Katich, HP Khanal, A Kievsky, P King, W Korsch, J LeRose, R Lindgren, HJ Lu, W Luo, LE Marcucci, P Markowitz, M Meziane, R Michaels, B Moffit, P Monaghan, N Muangma, S Nanda, BE Norum, K Pan, D Parno, E Piasetzky, M Posik, V Punjabi, AJ Puckett, X Qian, Y Qiang, X Qui, S Riordan, A Saha, PU Sauer, B Sawatzky, R Schiavilla, B Schoenrock, M Shabestari, A Shahinyan, S Širca, R Skibiński, JS John, R Subedi, V Sulkosky, WA Tobias, W Tireman, GM Urciuoli, M Viviani, D Wang, K Wang, Y Wang, J Watson, B Wojtsekhowski, H Witała, Z Ye, X Zhan, Y Zhang, X Zheng, B Zhao and L Zhu, Measurement of double-polarization asymmetries in the quasielastic (3)He[→](e[→],e(')d) process.,
Physical review letters, vol. 113 no. 23
pp. 232505 [abs].
- Y Zhang, X Qian, K Allada, C Dutta, J Huang, J Katich, Y Wang, K Aniol, JRM Annand, T Averett, F Benmokhtar, W Bertozzi, PC Bradshaw, P Bosted, A Camsonne, M Canan, GD Cates, C Chen, J-P Chen, W Chen, K Chirapatpimol, E Chudakov, E Cisbani, JC Cornejo, F Cusanno, MM Dalton, W Deconinck, CW de Jager, R De Leo, X Deng, A Deur, H Ding, PAM Dolph, D Dutta, L El Fassi, S Frullani, H Gao, F Garibaldi, D Gaskell, S Gilad, R Gilman, O Glamazdin, S Golge, L Guo, D Hamilton, O Hansen, DW Higinbotham, T Holmstrom, M Huang, HF Ibrahim, M Iodice, X Jiang, G Jin, MK Jones, A Kelleher, W Kim, A Kolarkar, W Korsch, JJ LeRose, X Li, Y Li, R Lindgren, N Liyanage, E Long, H-J Lu, DJ Margaziotis, P Markowitz, S Marrone, D McNulty, Z-E Meziani, R Michaels, B Moffit, C Muñoz Camacho, S Nanda, A Narayan, V Nelyubin, B Norum, Y Oh, M Osipenko, D Parno, JC Peng, SK Phillips, M Posik, AJR Puckett, Y Qiang, A Rakhman, RD Ransome, S Riordan, A Saha, B Sawatzky, E Schulte, A Shahinyan, MH Shabestari, S Širca, S Stepanyan, R Subedi, V Sulkosky, L-G Tang, WA Tobias, GM Urciuoli, I Vilardi, K Wang, B Wojtsekhowski, X Yan, H Yao, Y Ye, Z Ye, L Yuan, X Zhan, Y-W Zhang, B Zhao, X Zheng, L Zhu, X Zhu and X Zong, Measurement of “pretzelosity” asymmetry of charged pion production in semi-inclusive deep inelastic scattering on a polarized target,
Physical Review C, vol. 90 no. 5
(November, 2014) [doi] .
Prof. Gao's research focuses on understanding the structure of the nucleon in terms of quark and gluon degrees of freedom of Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD), search for QCD exotics, and fundamental symmetry studies at low energy to search for new physics beyond the Standard Model of electroweak interactions. Most of her work utilizes the novel experimental technique of scattering polarized electrons or photons from polarized gas targets. Over the years, her group built a number of state-of-the-art polarized gas targets including H/D internal gas target and a high-pressure polarized 3He target for photon experiments using the High Intensity Gamma Source (HIGS) facility at the Duke Free Electron Laser Laboratory (DFELL). Currently, her group and collaborators are focusing on a novel new experiment on a precise determination of the proton charge radius at the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (JLab) in Newport News, VA, and the SoLID project aiming at a three-dimensional imaging of the internal structure of proton and neutron in momentum space, i.e. nucleon tomography, at JLab. Her research is being carried out at the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (JLab),and the HIGS facility at DFELL.
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Sucheta Jawalkar (January 15, 2012 - September 04, 2013)
- Pinghan Chu (September, 2011 - October 10, 2014)
- Mehdi Meziane (June, 2011 - present)
- Simona Malace (August 1, 2010 - June 30, 2012)
- Bawitlung Lalremruata (May 15, 2010 - May 14, 2011)
- Qiang Ye (September 1, 2008 - January 31, 2011)
- Yi Qiang (May 1, 2007 - January 31, 2010)
- Xiaofeng Zhu (January 15, 2006 - November 30, 2008)
- Kevin Kramer (2003/08-2006/07)
- Krishni Wijesooriya (2003/02-2003/07)
- Wang Xu (November 1, 2002 - May 15, 2005)
- Xiang Hong (1999/11-2002/10)
- Dipangkar Dutta (1999/02-2003/01)
- Timothy Black (1998/03-1999/06)
- Selected Invited Lectures
- ``TMD Experimental Overview'', Invited talk at the International Workshop on Physics Opportunities at an Electron Ion Collider, August 20-22, 2012, Bloomington, IN., August 20, 2012
- ``New Results from HIGS'', Invited talk at the Gordon Research Conference on Photonuclear Reactions, August 5-10, 2012, Holderness, NH., August 08, 2012
- ``Probing the Three-Dimensional Structure of the Nucleon at 12-GeV Jefferson Lab and Beyond'', Invited talk at the US-Korea Workshop: International Cooperation on Particle, Nuclear and Astrophysics, April 24-25, 2012, KAIST, Dae Jeon, South Korea., April 24, 2012
- The Radial Distribution of the Proton and its Constituents, July 25, 2011, Invited plenary talk at the 19th Particles and Nuclei International Conference (PANIC11), July 24-29, 2011, Cambridge, MA, U.S.A.
- Hadron Physics at Low Energies, February 23, 2011, Invited opening talk at the ``Many-body structure of strongly interacting systems'', Conclusive symposium, CRC443, Feb 23-25, 2011, Mainz, Germany
- Frontiers in Nuclear Physics and Personal Research Experience, November 11, 2010, University public lecture, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
- Future Spin Physics at JLab, September, 2010, Invited Plenary talk at the 19th International Spin Physics Symposium (SPIN2010), Sep. 27 - Oct. 2, 2010, Juelich, Germany
- Recent results on structure functions, July, 2010, Invited Plenary talk at the 35th International Conference Ion High Energy Physics, July 22-28, 2010, Paris, France
- The Study of Neutron Transversity Using a Polarized 3He Target at Jefferson Lab, June, 2009, Invited plenary talk at the 4th International Symposium on Symmetries in Subatomic Physics (SSP 2009)
- Nuclear and Nucleon Structure: Review, May, 2009, Invited plenary talk at the at the 10th Conference on the Intersections of Particles and Nuclear Physics (CIPANP 2009), San Diego, CA