Robert D Guenther, Adjunct Professor
Office Location: 2579 CIEMAS
Office Phone: (919) 660-5598, (919) 660-2569
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Atomic, molecular, and optical physics
PhD, University of Missouri, 1968
Research Categories: Photon Physics
Use of IR imaging in emergency room triage. Measurement of bilirubin in neonatal care
Research Description: Prof. Guenther uses femtosecond pulsed laser systems to study ultrafast phenomena. Current research includes characterization of quantum well devices, development of terahertz electronics, and analysis of bunched relativistic electron beams. Because these projects are of fundamental interest to physicists, engineers, and material scientists, Dr. Guenther's research involves collaboration with other departments at Duke and other major universities. He is presently working on the application of femtosecond technology to the study of solids, the development of terahertz sources, and new measurement techniques associated with electron beams. He has used a Michaelson Interferometer to observe the temporal characteristics of the electron-beam used in the FEL.
- Qi Hao and Brady, D.J. and Guenther, B.D. and Burchett, J.B. and Shankar, M. and Feller, S., Human tracking with wireless distributed pyroelectric sensors,
IEEE Sens. J. (USA), vol. 6 no. 6
pp. 1683 - 96 [JSEN.2006.884562] [abs].
- Jian-Shuen Fang and Qi Hao and Brady, D.J. and Guenther, B.D. and Hsu, K.Y., Real-time human identification using a pyroelectric infrared detector array and hidden Markov models,
Opt. Express (USA), vol. 14 no. 15
- John Burchett, Mohan Shankar, A. Ben Hamza, B.D. Guenther, Nikos Pitsianis, and David J. Brady, Lightweight Biometric Detection System for Human Classification using Pyroelectric Infrared Detectors,
- Cull, E.C. and Gehm, M.E. and Guenther, B.D. and Brady, D.J., Standoff raman spectroscopy system for remote chemical detection,
Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, vol. 5994
pp. 59940 - [12.626170] [abs].
- Shankar, M. and Burchett, J. and Feller, S.D. and Jones, B. and Swagart, R. and Guenther, B.D. and Brady, D.J., Biometric tracking with coded pyroelectric sensor clusters,
Proc. SPIE - Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. (USA), vol. 5796 no. 1
pp. 181 - 92 [abs].