Calvin R Howell, Professor and Director, TUNL and Duke FEL Lab
Office Location: 414 TUNL
Office Phone: (919) 660-2632
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Page: http://www.tunl.duke.edu/Directory/Faculty/howell/
Experimental nuclear physics
Doctor of Philosophy, Duke University, 1984
Master of Art, Duke University, 1980
Bachelor of Science, Davidson College, 1978
Research Categories: Experimental Nuclear Physics
Study of the Star Anomaly in neutron-deuteron breakup, Measurement of the neutron-neutron scattering length, Carbon and nitrogen accumulation and translocation in plants, Element imaging in materials, Explosive nucleosynthesis
Professor Howell is the Director of the Triangle Universities Nuclear Laboratory (TUNL). His research interests are the quantum chromodynamics (QCD) description of structure and reactions of few-nucleon systems, Big Bang and explosive nucleosynthesis, and applications of nuclear physics in biology, medicine and national security. His research includes: studies of few-nucleon reaction dynamics, measurements of the neutron-neutron scattering length, photodisintegration of the deuteron and beryllium at energies relevant to astrophysics processes, and studies of the carbon and nitrogen accumulation and translocation in plants using short-lived radioactive isotopes and positron emission tomography.
Areas of Interest:
experimental nuclear physics
ecology and plant physiology
material analysis and imaging with gamma-rays and neutrons
- L.J. Broussard, H.O. Back, M.S. Boswell, A.S. Crowell, P. Dendooven, C.R. Howell, M.F. Kidd, K. Jungmann, W.L. Kruithof, C.J.G. Onderwater, R.W. Pattie, Jr., P.D. Shidling, M. Sohani, D.J. van der Hoek, A. Rogachevskiy, E. Traykov, O.O. Versolato, L. Willmann, H.W. Wilschut, and A.R. Young, New limits on Beyond Standard Model physics from a measurement of the half-life of the T=1/2 mirror decay of 19Ne,
Physical Review Letters
(Submitted, 2013) .
- A.G. Weisenberger, B. Kross, S.J. Lee, J. McKisson, J.E. McKisson, W. Xi, C. Zorn, C.R. Howell, A.S. Crowell, C.D. Reid and M. Smith, Nuclear physics detector technology applied to plant biology research,
Nucl.Instrum.Meth. A, vol. 718
pp. 157 .
- M.W. Ahmed, A.E. Champagne, B.R. Holstein, C.R. Howell, W.M. Snow, R.P. Springer, and W.K. Wu., Parity Violation in Photonuclear Reactions at HIGS -- Submission to Snowmass 2013: Intensity Frontier,
(Preprint, 2013) .
- S. MacMullin, M. Kidd, R. Henning, W. Tornow, C.R. Howell, and M. Brown, Measurement of the elastic scattering cross section of neutrons from argon and neon,
Physical Review C, vol. 87
pp. 054613 .
- C.W. Arnold, T.B. Clegg, C. Iliadis, H.J. Karwowski, G.C. Rich, J.R. Tompkins and C.R. Howell, Cross Section Measurement of 9Be(gamma,n)8Be and Implications for alpha + alpha +n --> 9Be in the r-Process,
Physical Review C, vol. 85
pp. 044605 .
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Robert A. Macri (March 01, 2004 - September 30, 2004)
- Shigeyuki Tajima (January 1, 2004 - August 31, 2004)
- Alexander S. Crowell (January 1, 2002 - December 31, 2007)
- Steve Churchwell (1998/01-2001/08)