Dewey T. Lawson, Adjunct Professor of Physics and Faculty Network Member of Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
Office Location: 184 Physics, Durham, NC 27701
Office Phone: (919) 688-3249
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Page: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~dtl/
Ph.D., Duke University, 1972
Research Categories: Acoustics
Research Description: Acoustics has been the common thread connecting Prof. Lawson's various research interests, which have included phonon scattering in solid helium-4, zero sound propagation in normal and superfluid phases of liquid helium-3, restoration of human hearing through direct electrical stimulation of the inner ear and brainstem, the psychophysics of music perception, and musical acoustics.
Teaching (Fall 2016):
- Physics 136.01, Acoustics and music
- Physics 128, TuTh 04:40 PM-05:55 PM
- Buss, E; Pillsbury, HC; Buchman, CA; Pillsbury, CH; Clark, MS; Haynes, DS; Labadie, RF; Amberg, S; Roland, PS; Kruger, P; Novak, MA; Wirth, JA; Black, JM; Peters, R; Lake, J; Wackym, PA; Firszt, JB; Wilson, BS; Lawson, DT; Schatzer, R; D'Haese, PS; Barco, AL, Multicenter U.S. bilateral MED-EL cochlear implantation study: speech perception over the first year of use.,
Ear and Hearing, vol. 29 no. 1
pp. 20-32 [doi] [abs].
- Wilson, BS; Schatzer, R; Lopez-Poveda, EA; Sun, X; Lawson, DT; Wolford, RD, Two new directions in speech processor design for cochlear implants.,
Ear and Hearing, vol. 26 no. 4 Suppl
pp. 73S-81S  [abs].
- BS Wilson, DT Lawson, JM Muller, RS Tyler, J Kiefer, Cochlear implants: some likely next steps.,
Annual review of biomedical engineering, United States, vol. 5
pp. 207-49 [abs].
- DT Lawson, BS Wilson, M Zerbi, C van den Honert, CC Finley, JC Farmer, JT McElveen, PA Roush, Bilateral cochlear implants controlled by a single speech processor.,
The American journal of otology, UNITED STATES, vol. 19 no. 6
pp. 758-61 [abs].
- BS Wilson, S Rebscher, FG Zeng, RV Shannon, GE Loeb, DT Lawson, M Zerbi, Design for an inexpensive but effective cochlear implant.,
Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, UNITED STATES, vol. 118 no. 2
pp. 235-41 [abs].
- Wilson, BS; Finley, CC; Lawson, DT; Zerbi, M, Temporal representations with cochlear implants.,
The American journal of otology, vol. 18 no. 6 Suppl
pp. S30-S34  [abs].
- DT Lawson, BS Wilson, CC Finley, M Zerbi, LA Cartee, PA Roush, JC Farmer, DL Tucci, Cochlear implant studies at Research Triangle Institute and Duke University Medical Center.,
Scandinavian audiology. Supplementum, DENMARK, vol. 46
pp. 50-64 [abs].
Acoustics has been the common thread connecting Prof. Lawson's various research interests, which have included phonon scattering in solid helium-4, zero sound propagation in normal and superfluid phases of liquid helium-3, restoration of human hearing through direct electrical stimulation of the inner ear and brainstem, the psychophysics of music perception, and musical and architectural acoustics.