Arlie O Petters, Benjamin Powell Professor of Mathematics, secondary appt: Fuqua and Physics
Office Phone: (919) 660-2812
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Page: http://www.math.duke.edu/~petters
Research Categories: Gravitational Lensing, General Relativity, and Cosmology
Research Description: I develop physically based mathematical theories of
gravitational lensing (light deflection by gravitational
fields) in a variety of astrophysical contexts and
investigate the observational consequences of the
associated theorems. I am currently researching flux
ratio anomalies with applications to the nature of dark
matter and exploring relativistic gravitational lensing
with applications to supermassive black holes. One of
my goals is to emphasize the stable and generic
features of lensing, drawing conclusions essentially
independent of the oversimplifying approximations of a
chosen lens system model. At the same time, I also
analyze in depth specific physically realistic models
having predictive power. The mathematical tools
employed draw upon the theory of singularities,
differential geometry, and probability theory. My
research involves collaborations with astrophysicists,
mathematicians, and physicists.
- A. O. Petters and M. C. Werner, Gravitational Lensing and Black Holes
(July, 2016), Springer, in preparation .
- A. O. Petters and X. Dong, An Introduction to Mathematical Finance: Understanding and Building Financial Intuition, SUMAT
(July, 2015), Springer, in preparation .
- A. Aazami, C. Keeton, and A.O. Petters, Lensing by Kerr Black Holes. II. Analytical Study of Quasi-Equatorial Lensing Observables, vol. 52
pp. 102501 .
- A. Aazami, C. Keeton, and A.O. Petters, Lensing by Kerr Black Holes. I. General Lens Equation and Magnification Formula,
J. Math. Phys., vol. 52
pp. 092502 .
- A. B. Aazami, A. O. Petters, and J. M. Rabin, Orbifolds, the A, D, E Family of Caustic Singularities, and Gravitational Lensing,
J. Math. Physics, vol. 52
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Carla Cederbaum (2011/07-2014/06)
- Marcus Werner (2009/07-2011/06)
- Kumar Virbhadra (2000/09-2002/02)