Bonnie L. Schmittberger, Entered 2010/11
Office Location: 185 Physics
Office Phone: (919)660-2508
Email Address: email@example.com
Atomic, molecular, and optical physics
Nonlinear dynamics and complex systems
AM, Physics, Duke University, 2013
BA, Physics, Bryn Mawr College, 2010
Research Description: I study ultra-low light-level nonlinear dynamics in cold atoms. Specifically, I am exploring collective light-matter interactions via spatio-temporal pattern formation.
- J. A. Greenberg, B. L. Schmittberger, and D. J. Gauthier, Bunching-induced optical nonlinearity and instability in cold atoms,
Optics Express, vol. 19 no. 23
(November 7, 2011),
pp. 22535-22549 .
- Selected Talks
- Ultra-Low-Threshold Optical Pattern Formation in a Cold Atomic Vapor, May 14, 2013, XIIIth International Quantum Electronics Conference, Munich, Germany
- Free-space, multimode spatial self-organization of cold, thermal atoms, June 06, 2012, DAMOP 2012: Anaheim, CA 
- Pattern Formations for Optical Switching Using Cold Atoms as a Nonlinear Medium., June 17, 2011, DAMOP 2011: Atlanta, GA 
- Selected Other
- Optical Pattern Formation in Cold Atoms: Explaining the Red-Blue Asymmetry, June 05, 2013, Poster Presented at the 44th Annual DAMOP Meeting, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada 
- Optical Pattern Formation in Cold Atoms: The Role of Sisyphus Cooling, March 11, 2013, Poster presented at the annual Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics Symposium, Duke University
- Free-space, multimode self-organization of cold, thermal atoms via transverse optical patterns, August 15, 2012, Poster presented at Quantum Science Conference in Easton, MA. Sponsored by Gordon Research Conferences.
- Optical Pattern Formation and Self-Organization of Cold Atoms, October 10, 2011, Poster presented at the annual Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics Symposium, Duke University