Bonnie L. Schmittberger, Entered 2010/11
Office Location: FCIEMAS 3539
Office Phone: (919)660-5421
Email Address: email@example.com
Atomic, molecular, and optical physics
Nonlinear dynamics and complex systems
AM, Physics, Duke University, 2013
BA, Physics, Bryn Mawr College, 2010
Research Description: I study low-light-level nonlinear optics in cold atoms. Specifically, I am exploring strong light-matter interactions via spatio-temporal pattern formation.
For a list of recent talks and publications, please visit http://fds.duke.edu/db/aas/Physics/grad/bonnie.schmittberger
- Bonnie L. Schmittberger and Daniel J. Gauthier, Enhancing light-atom interactions via atomic bunching,
Phys. Rev. A, vol. 90 no. 013813
(July 11, 2014) [PhysRevA.90.013813] .
- J. A. Greenberg, B. L. Schmittberger, and D. J. Gauthier, Bunching-induced optical nonlinearity and instability in cold atoms [Invited],
Optics Express, vol. 19 no. 23
(November 7, 2011),
pp. 22535-22549 [abstract.cfm] .
- Selected Talks
- Optical Pattern Formation in Spatially Bunched Atoms: A Self-Consistent Model and Experiment, Jun. 5, 2014, 45th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics (DAMOP'14), Madison, WI 
- Ultra-Low-Threshold Optical Pattern Formation in a Cold Atomic Vapor, May 14, 2013, XIIIth International Quantum Electronics Conference, Munich, Germany
- Free-space, multimode spatial self-organization of cold, thermal atoms, June 06, 2012, 43rd Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics (DAMOP'12), Anaheim, CA 
- Pattern Formations for Optical Switching Using Cold Atoms as a Nonlinear Medium., June 17, 2011, 42nd Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics (DAMOP'11), Atlanta, GA 
- Selected Other
- Towards Single-Photon Nonlinear Optics via Pattern Formation in Spatially Bunched Atoms, August 7, 2014, Poster presented at International Conference on Atomic Physics (ICAP 2014), Washington, D.C.
- A Self-Consistent Model for Optical Pattern Formation in Cold Atoms, March 11-12, 2014, Poster presented at the Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics Annual Symposium, Duke University
- Optical Pattern Formation in Cold Atoms: Explaining the Red-Blue Asymmetry, June 05, 2013, Poster Presented at the 44th Annual DAMOP Meeting, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada 
- Optical Pattern Formation in Cold Atoms: The Role of Sisyphus Cooling, March 11, 2013, Poster presented at the Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics Annual Symposium, Duke University
- Free-space, multimode self-organization of cold, thermal atoms via transverse optical patterns, August 15, 2012, Poster presented at Quantum Science Conference in Easton, MA. Sponsored by Gordon Research Conferences.
- Optical Pattern Formation and Self-Organization of Cold Atoms, October 10, 2011, Poster presented at the Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics Annual Symposium, Duke University