Berndt Mueller, J. B. Duke Professor and Director of the Center for Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences
Office Location: 250 Physics
Office Phone: (919) 660-2570
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Page: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~muller/
Theoretical nuclear physics
Dr. phil. nat., J.W. Goethe Universität, Frankfurt, Germany, 1973
Dipl. phys., J.W. Goethe Universität, Frankfurt, Germany, 1972
Research Categories: Theoretical Nuclear and Particle Physics
Research Description: Prof. Mueller's work focuses on nuclear matter at extreme energy density. Quantum chromodynamics, the fundamental theory of nuclear forces, predicts that nuclear matter dissolves into quarks and gluons, the elementary constituents of protons and neutrons, when a critical density or temperature is exceeded. He and his collaborators are theoretically studying the properties of this "quark-gluon plasma", its formation, and its detection in high-energy nuclear collisions. His other research interests include symmetry violating processes in the very early universe and the chaotic dynamics of elementary particle fields. Prof. Mueller is the coauthor of textbooks on the Physics of the Quark-Gluon Plasma, on Symmetry Principles in Quantum Mechanics, on Weak Interactions, and on Neural Networks.
- Monnai, A. and Müller, B., Collinear parton splitting in early thermalization and chemical equilibration
(Submitted, 2014) [pdf] [abs].
- Qin, G.Y. and Müller, B., Elliptic and triangular flow anisotropy in deuteron-gold collisions at RHIC and proton-lead collisions at the LHC ,
Phys. Rev. C, vol. 89
pp. 044902 [PhysRevC.89.044902] [abs].
- Müller, B., Wu, S.Y. and Yang, D.L., Elliptic flow from thermal photons with magnetic field in holography,
Phys. Rev. D, vol. 89
pp. 025019 [PhysRevD.89.026013] [abs].
- Burke, K.M., et al. (JET Collaboration), Extracting jet transport coefficient from jet quenching at RHIC and LHC,
Phys. Rev. C, vol. 90
pp. 015909 [PhysRevC.90.014909] [abs].
- Coleman-Smith, C.E. and Müller, B., Mapping the proton's fluctuating size and shape,
Phys. Rev. D, vol. 89
pp. 025019 [PhysRevD.89.025019] [abs].
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Christopher E. Coleman-Smith
- Dilun Yang
- Hung-Ming Tsai
- Postdocs Mentored
- Guangyou Qin (October 1, 2009 - present)
- Hannah Petersen (January 1, 2010 - present)
- Young-ho Song (September 01, 2008 - March 31, 2010)
- Abhijit Majumder (November 1, 2005 - August 31, 2008)
- Jörg Ruppert (2004/10-2006/08)
- Thorsten Renk (2004/01-2005/08)
- Rainer J. Fries (2002/01-2003/08)
- Steffen A. Bass (1999/01-2000/08)
- Dirk H. Rischke (1996/09-1997/08)
- Carsten Greiner (1994/01-1996/12)
- Sen-Ben Liao (1992/09-1995/08)
- Xin-Nian Wang (1991/09-1992/08)
- Klaus Kinder-Geiger (1990/01-1991/08)
- Alec J. Schramm (1990/01-1992/08)