Michael C. Munger, Professor Political Science and Professor of Economics
- Contact Info:
Teaching (Fall 2013):
- POLSCI 145.01, INTRO TO POLITICAL ECONOMY
- White 107, TuTh 10:05 AM-11:20 AM
- POLSCI 331.01, PRISONER'S DILEMMA/DISTR JUSTI
- LSRC B101, MW 04:40 PM-05:55 PM
- Office Hours:
- By Appointment--Contact email@example.com
- PhD, Washington University, 1984
- MA, Washington University, 1982
- BA, Davidson College, 1980
- Research Interests: Institutions, Public Policy, Political Behavior and Parties
Book under contract with Cambridge U Press on regulating financial and energy markets
Professor of Political Science, and Director of the PPE Certificate Program. His primary research focus is on the functioning of markets and regulatory policies. His other work includes a variety of policy monographs and reports, for private organizations and government agencies at the federal, state, and local level. He has taught at Dartmouth College, University of Texas, and University of North Carolina (where he was Director of the Master of Public Administration Program), as well as working as a staff economist at the Federal Trade Commission during the Reagan Administration. He is a past President of the Public Choice Society, an international academic society of political scientists and economists with members in 16 countries.
- Areas of Interest:
- The economics and policy of mass transit in Latin America.
Problems of exchange and market - government coordination in developed economies
- Curriculum Vitae
- Representative Publications
- M. Munger, Policy Analysis
(2000), W.W. Norton and Co., Inc. .
- M. Munger with Melvin J. Hinich, Analytical Politics
pp. 253, Cambridge University Press (published in both hardback and paperback editions. This book was reprinted, in a new Japanese language edition, by Keiso Shobo Publishers, in 1998) (This book was reprinted in a new Spanish edition in 2005) This book was reprinted in a new Chinese edition, and a new Korean edition, in 2010)..) .
- M. Munger with Melvin J. Hinich, Ideology and the Theory of Political Choice
pp. 267, University of Michigan Press (paperback edition published September 1996..) .
- M.C. Munger, “Locking Up Political Speech: How Electioneering Communications Laws Stifle Free Speech and Civic Engagement”
(June, 2009), Institute for Justice [pdf] .
- Wm Keech and M.C. Munger, Political Economy,
in International Encyclopedia of Political Science, edited by Garrett, Levi, McClain, Alt, and Chambers
(2011), Congressional Quarterly Press .
- M.C. Munger, Euvoluntary or Not, Exchange is Just, Summer,
Social Philosophy and Policy, vol. 28 no. 2
(Summer, 2011) .
- M.C. Munger, Self-Interest and Public Interest: Motivations of Political Actors.,
Critical Review, vol. 25 no. 1-2
pp. 1-19 .
- M.C. Munger, Basic Income’ is Not an Obligation, But It Might Be a Legitimate Choice,
Basic Income Studies, vol. 6 no. 2
pp. 1-13 .
- M.C. Munger, Persuasion, Psychology, and the Future of Public Choice,
Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, vol. 80 no. 2
pp. 290-300 .
- M.C. Munger, Blogging and Political Information: Truth or ‘Truthiness’?”,
Public Choice, vol. 134 no. 1
pp. 125-138 .