Paula D. McClain, Dean of the Graduate School and Professor of Political Science and Director, Ralph Bunche Institute
- Contact Info:
- PhD, Howard University, 1977
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Analysis Center, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 1982
- University of Michigan, Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research, 1979
- University of Michigan, Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research, 1978
- M.A., Howard University, 1974
- B.A., Howard University, 1972
Behavior and Identities
- Research Interests: Racial politics and Urban politics
Paula D. McClain is professor of political science, public policy and African and African American Studies at Duke University. A Howard University Ph.D., her primary research interests are in racial minority group politics, particularly inter-minority political and social competition, and urban politics, especially public policy and urban crime. Her most recent articles have appeared in the Political Research Quarterly, Journal of Politics, American Political Science Review, and American Politics Quarterly. Westview Press published the fifth edition of her book, "Can We All Get Along?": Racial and Ethnic Minorities in American Politics, coauthored with Joseph Stewart, Jr. in 2009. Her most recent book is "American Government in Black and White" published in 2010 by Paradigm Publishers. She is a past vice president of the American Political Science Association, a past president of the National Conference of Black Political Scientists, served as Program Co-Chair for the 1993 annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, served as Program Chair for the 1999 annual meeting of Midwest Political Science Association, and served as Program Co-Chair of the 2003 International Political Science Association World Congress to be held in Durban, South Africa. She also served on the Advisory Committee of the Directorate of the Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences of the National Science Foundation, and currently serves on the Board of Overseers for the American National Election Study (2008 and 2012). She is past president of the Southern Political Science Association (2005), and is Director of the Ralph Bunche Summer Institute, and Co-Director of the Center for the Study of Race, Ethnicity and Gender in the Social Sciences.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Recent Publications
- P.D. McClain, Review Symposium, Winner-Take-All Politics: How Washington Made the Rich Richer--And Turned its Back on the Middle Class, by Jacob S. Hacker and Paul Pierson,
Perspectives on Politics, vol. 9 no. 3
pp. 651-654 .
- P.D. McClain, Gerald F. Lackey, Efrén O. Peréz, Niambi M. Carter, Jessica Johnson Carew, Eugene Walton, Jr., Candis S. Watts, Monique L. Lyle and Shayla C. Nunnally., Intergroup Relations in Three Southern Cities.,
in .Just Neighbors? Research on African American and Latino Relations in the United States., edited by Edward Telles, Gaspar Rivera-Salgado and Sylvia Zamora, editors.
(2011), Russell Sage Foundation .
- James Alt, Simone Chambers, Geoffrey Garrett, Margaret Levi, Paula D. McClain, The Encyclopedia of Political Science
(October, 2010), Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly Press, 2010 (This encylclopedia consists of five volumes with a total of 1801 pages..) .
- P.D. McClain and Steven C. Tauber, American Government in Black and White
(February, 2010), Boulder, CO: Paradigm Publishers, 2010 .
- Paula D. McClain and Joseph Stewart, Jr., "Can We All Get Along?" Racial and Ethnic Minorities in American Politics 5th edition
(July, 2009), Boulder: Westview Press, 2010 (Published in July 2009) .