||Research Interests: Anthropology, History and Literature of the French Caribbean and the Atlantic World
I am a specialist on the history and culture of the Atlantic world, with a focus on the Caribbean and particularly Haiti. I am the faculty director of the Forum for Scholars and Publics at Duke University, and write for magazines including the New Republic, Sports Illustrated, and the New Yorker.
My current research and writing focuses on the Afro-Atlantic history of the banjo. I am completing a book (under contract with Harvard University Press) on the topic. I have received a Mellon New Directions Fellowship, a National Humanities Fellowship, and a Guggenheim Fellowship to support this work.
My most recent book Haiti: The Aftershocks of History (2012) tells the history of the country from it's founding revolution to the present day. In 2010 I published Soccer Empire: The World Cup and the Future of France, and continue to write about soccer at my blog Soccer Politics. I have also recently co-edited, with Julius Scott, a reader entitled Origins of the Black Atlantic and, with Thomas Bender and Richard Rabinowitz, the catalogue for the exhibit Revolution!: The Atlantic World Reborn, for which I was co-chair of the scholar's committee. I am also co-editing the "Haiti Reader" for Duke University Press.
I advise graduate students in both History and Romance Studies, working on a range of topics in Caribbean and French colonial and post-colonial studies.
- Recent Papers, Books and Preprints
- Haiti's Traces,
Small Axe: A Caribbean Journal of Criticism, vol. 39
- Dubois, L, The Hijab on the Pitch,
The Feminist Wire
(August, 2012) [available here].
- Dubois, L, Haiti: The Aftershocks of History
(2012), Metropolitan Books  [abs].
- Bender, T; Rabinowitz, R; Dubois, L, Revolution! The Atlantic World Reborn
(2011), Giles Ltd [available here].
- Casimir, J; Dubois, LM, Reckoning in Haiti,
in Haiti Rising: Haitian History, Culture, and the Earthquake of 2010, edited by Munro, M
(2010), University of West Indies Press.
- Dubois, L, Egalite for All: Human Rights and the Haitian Revolution
(2008) (I was the head historical consultant for
Koval Films on a documentary on the Haitian
Revolution, aired on PBS in January 2009..) [html].
- Bell, MS, The Haitian Revolution at the Crossroads: A Discussion Between Madison Smartt Bell and Laurent Dubois,
Common Place.Org, vol. 7 no. 4
(July, 2007) [available here].
- Dubois, LM, Eloge Pour Michel-Rolph Trouillot,
Transition, vol. 109
- Wolff, A, French World Cup Hero Thuram Working to Battle Racism in Soccer and Society,
(June, 2012) [html].
- Dubois, L, Soccer empire: The World cup and the future of France
(June, 2010), University of California Press [abs].
- Dubois, L; Scott, JS, Origins of the Black Atlantic
(2009), Routledge [product_detail.asp].
- With Michel Giraud, Marc-Olivier Padis, and Patrick Weil, “Une histoire à transmettre,” interview with Lilian Thuram,,
pp. 117-123 [details.php].
- Dubois, LM, Dessalines Toro d'Haiti,
William and Mary Quarterly, vol. 69 no. 3
pp. 541-548 [Gateway.cgi], [doi].
- Founding Editor, Soccer Politics Blog
(Fall, 2009) [wcwp].
- Dubois, L, Thinking with Haiti, Ayiti Kraze/Haiti in Fragments,
Social Text: Periscope
(January, 2010) [available here].
- Les Vengeurs du Nouveau Monde: Histoire de la Révolution haïtienne
(2006), Editions Les Perseides [index.php].
- Dubois, L, An atlantic revolution,
French Historical Studies, vol. 32 no. 4
pp. 655-661, Duke University Press [Gateway.cgi], [doi].
- Dubois, L, Avengers of the New World: The Story of the Haitian Revolution
(2004), The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press [html].
- Dubois, L, A colony of citizens: Revolution and slave emancipation in the French Caribbean, 1787-1804
pp. 1-452, Published for the Omohundro Institute by the University of North Carolina Press [html] [abs].
- Dubois, LM; Camier, B, Voltaire, Zaïre, Dessalines: Le Théâtre des Lumières dans L’Atlantique français,
Revue D'Histoire Moderne Et Contemporaine, vol. 54 no. 4
- Dubois, LM, Capturing Louverture,
Small Axe, vol. 23
- Dubois, L, Les esclaves de la République: l'histoire oubliée de la première émancipation, 1789-1794
(1998), Calmann-Lévy [abs].
- Dubois, LM, The Haitian Revolution and the Sale of Louisiana,
The Southern Quarterly: a Journal of Arts in the South, vol. 44 no. 3
- Dubois, LM, Histoires d’esclavage en France et aux Etats-Unis,
pp. 71-80 [details.php].
- Dubois, LM; Josué, E, Le Vodou, Miroir de l’histoire: Dialogue,
Tabou: Revue Du Musée D’Ethnologie De Genève, vol. 5
pp. 325-340 [edition.php].
- Dubois, L, An enslaved Enlightenment: Rethinking the intellectual history of the French Atlantic,
Social History, vol. 31 no. 1
pp. 1-14, Informa UK Limited [doi].
- Dubois, LM, ’Citoyens et Amis!’ Esclavage, citoyenneté et République dans les Antilles françaises à l’époque révolutionnaire, vol. 58 no. 2
pp. 281-304 [htm].
- Dubois, LM, Republican Racism and Anti-Racism: A Caribbean Genealogy,
French Politics, Culture and Society, vol. 18 no. 3
- Dubois, LM, Republic At Sea: On the Margins of the New Europe,
Transition, vol. 79
- Dubois, LM, ‘The Price of Liberty’: Victor Hugues and the Administration of Freedom in Guadeloupe, 1794-1802,
William and Mary Quarterly, vol. Quarterly 3rd series, LVI no. 2
- Dubois, LM, A Spoonful of Blood: Blaming Haitians for AIDS,
Science as Culture, vol. 6 no. 26