Click here for a printer-ready
version, or download as a PDF file.
- Anderson, A; Felski, R; Moi, T. Character Three Inquiries in Literary Studies. Trios, 2019: 160 pages. [abs]
- Moi, T. Revolution of the Ordinary Literary Studies After Wittgenstein, Austin, and Cavell. University of Chicago Press, May, 2017: 306 pages. [abs]
- Moi, T. Toril Moi leser A.O. Vinje [Toril Moi reads A. O. Vinje]. Nasjonalbiblioteket, 2016: 62 pages.
- Moi, T. Henrik Ibsen and the Birth of Modernism: Art, Theater, Philosophy. Oxford University Press, 2006: xvi + 396 pages. Norwegian translation: Ibsens
translated by Agnete Øye (Oslo: Pax, 2006;
English language paperback published 2008.
- Moi, T. Sex, Gender and the Body: The Student Edition of What Is a Woman?. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2005: xv + 274 pages. (Contains the first two essays in What Is a
Woman? and a new preface.)
- Moi, T. What Is a Woman? and Other Essays. Oxford University Press, January, 1999: xv + 517 pages. The two first chapters appeared as two separate books in
Norwegian, translated by Rakel Christina Granaas: Hva er
(Pax, 1998) and Jeg er en kvinne (Pax, 2001).
- Moi, T. Simone de Beauvoir: The Making of an Intellectual Woman. Blackwell, 1994: xii + 324 pages. Translated into five languages: French (with
a preface by
Norwegian (by the author), Swedish, German and
- Various,. French Feminist Thought. edited by Moi, T Blackwell, 1987: x + 260 pages.
- Kristeva, J. The Kristeva Reader. edited by Moi, T Oxford: Blackwell, and New York: Columbia, 1986: viii + 327 pages.
- Moi, T. Sexual/Textual Politics: Feminist Literary Theory. Methuen, 1985: xviii + 206 pages. Translated into eleven languages: Spanish,
German, Finnish, Korean, Chinese (twice),
Slovenian, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Greek,
Russian. A 2nd
edition with a new afterword appeared in
Articles in a Journal
- Moi, T. "Acknowledging the other: Reading, writing, and living in the mandarins." Yale French Studies 2019-January:135-136 (January, 2019): 100-115.
- Moi, T. "Thinking through examples: What ordinary language philosophy can do for feminist theory." New Literary History 46:2 (March, 2015): 191-216. [doi]
- Bauer, N; Beckwith, S; Crary, A; Laugier, S; Moi, T; Zerilli, L. "Introduction." New Literary History 46:2 (2015): v-xiii. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- Moi, T. "Fem røde epler: Fra navn til bruk. En kommentar til §1 i Wittgensteins Filosofiske undersøkelser” [Five red apples: from names to use, A commentary on §1 in Wittgenstein’s Philosophical Investigations]." Edda 114:4 (2014): 348-353.
- Moi, T. "Hedda's Silences: Beauty and Despair in Hedda Gabler." Modern Drama 56:4 (Winter, 2013): 434-456. [Gateway.cgi], [doi] [abs]
- Moi, T. "Shame and Openness: On Karl Ove Knausgård." translated by Moi, T; Lunde, AF
Salmagundi Magazine 107:Winter (2013): 205-210.
- Moi, T. "Afterword: How the French Read." New Literary History 44:2 (Spring, 2013): 299-314. [doi]
- Toril, M. "Henrik Ibsen and idealism: Rethinking literary history of the XIX century." Etudes Germaniques 62:4 (December, 2007): 915-932. [abs]
- Dupont, N; Moi, T. "The poetic piping of Christian Prigent: Ventiloquits framework and glottic phrase." Contemporary French and Francophone Studies 10:2 (December, 2006): 127-140. [doi]
- MOI, T. "ANOTHER COLETTE - THE QUESTION OF GENDERED WRITING - HUFFER,L." French Forum 20:2 (May, 1995): 250-252. [Gateway.cgi]
- Moi, T. ""Am I That Name": Reply to Deborah Knight." New Literary History 26:1 (1995): 57-62. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- MOI, T; MITCHELL, J. "PSYCHOANALYSIS, FEMINISM, AND POLITICS, A CONVERSATION WITH MITCHELL,JULIET." South Atlantic Quarterly 93:4 (1994): 925-949. [Gateway.cgi]
- Moi, T. "Review Article Femininity Revisited." Journal of Gender Studies 1:3 (May, 1992): 324-334. [doi]
- Moi, T. "She died because she came too late…" knowledge, doubles and death in thomas's tristan." Exemplaria 4:1 (January, 1992): 105-133. [doi]
- Moi, T. "Simone de Beauvoir's L'Invitée: an existentialist melodrama." Paragraph 14:2 (July, 1991): 151-169. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- MOI, T. "Review. Subject to Change: Reading Feminist Writing. Miller, Nancy K.." French Studies 45:1 (January, 1991): 112-112. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- MOI, T. "Review. Politics, Philosophy, Culture: Interviews and Other Writings 1977-1984. Edited with an introduction by Lawrence D. Kritzman. Foucault, Michel." French Studies 44:3 (July, 1990): 370-370. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- MOI, T. "BOOKS OR SPINNING-WHEELS - ON WOMEN, PHILOSOPHY, ET-CETERA - FRENCH - LEDOEUFF,M." Tls the Times Literary Supplement :4549 (June, 1990): S13-S13. [Gateway.cgi]
- MOI, T. "SEXUAL SUBVERSIONS - 3 FRENCH FEMINISTS - GROSZ,E." Tls the Times Literary Supplement :4549 (June, 1990): S13-S13. [Gateway.cgi]
- MOI, T. "A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE - JOHNSON,B." Substance :59 (1989): 120-122. [Gateway.cgi]
- DANIUS, S; MOI, T. "AN INTERVIEW WITH MOI,TORIL ON LITERATURE AND SEXUAL POLITICS." Blm Bonniers Litterara Magasin 57:4 (September, 1988): 258-264. [Gateway.cgi]
- MOI, T. "Review. Simone de Beauvoir: Witness to a Century. Wenzel, Helene Vivienne (ed.)." French Studies 42:2 (April, 1988): 235-236. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- Moi, T. "Leo Bersani, The Freudian Body: Psychoanalysis and Art, New York: Columbia University Press, 1986, £15.45, 126 pp." History of the Human Sciences 1:2 (January, 1988): 276-279. [doi]
- MOI, T. "Review. Feminism in France. From May '68 to Mitterrand. Duchen, Claire." French Studies 41:4 (October, 1987): 494-494. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- MOI, T. "Review. Theory as Fiction. Bowie, Malcolm, Freud, Proust and Lacan.." French Studies 41:4 (October, 1987): 469-469. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- MOI, T. "Review. Cross-References. Modern French Theory and the Practice of Criticism. Kelley, David and Llasera, Isabelle (eds)." French Studies 41:3 (July, 1987): 371-371. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- MOI, T. "FRENCH FEMINIST CRITICISM, WOMEN, LANGUAGE, AND LITERATURE, AN ANNOTATED-BIBLIOGRAPHY - GELFAND,ED, HULES,VT." French Studies 41:1 (January, 1987): 114-116. [Gateway.cgi]
- MOI, T. "FEMMES, RECENT WRITINGS ON FRENCH WOMEN - WEITZ,MC." French Studies 41:1 (January, 1987): 114-116. [Gateway.cgi]
- MOI, T. "Review. The Knowledge of Ignorance. From Genesis to Jules Verne. Martin, Andrew." French Studies 40:2 (April, 1986): 246-246. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- MOI, T. "CIXOUS,HELENE, WRITING THE FEMININE - CONLEY,VA." Quinquereme New Studies in Modern Languages 9:1 (January, 1986): 80-83. [Gateway.cgi]
- MOI, T. "Review. Cousins, Mark and Hussain, Athar, Michel Foucault." French Studies 40:1 (January, 1986): 113-113. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
Articles in a Collection
- Anderson, A; Moi, T; Felski, R. "Introduction & Rethinking Character." Character Three Inquiries in Literary Studies. University of Chicago Press,
2019, 1-76. [abs]
- Moi, T. "Lidenskapens grammatikk: Om Vigdis Hjorth og Annie Ernaux (The Grammar of Passion: About Vigdis Hjorth and Annie Ernaux)." Fem kvinner, tre menn og en datter skriver om Vigdis Hjorth Ed. Grøner, E. Cappelen Damm,
- Moi, T. "From femininity to finitude: Freud, lacan, and feminism, again." Dialogues on Sexuality, Gender and Psychoanalysis. March, 2018, 93-135.
- Alix-Garcia, J; Fullerton, D; Olmstead, SM; Timmins, C. "Introduction." Camille The Lady of the Camellias, by Alexandre Dumas Fils. Signet Classics,
September, 2017, iii. [doi] [abs]
- Moi, T. "The adulteress wife." On Ne Nait Pas Femme: On Le Devient the Life of a Sentence. January, 2017, 103-113. [doi] [abs]
- Moi, T. "Hedda’s words: The work of language in Hedda Gabler." Ibsen's Hedda Gabler: Philosophical Perspectives. January, 2017, 152-173. [doi] [abs]
- Moi, T. "'Nothing Is Hidden’: From Confusion to Clarity, Or Wittgenstein on Critique." Rethinking Critique Ed. Anker, E; Felski, R. Duke University Press,
- Moi, T. "Foreword." The Utopian, by Michael Westlake. Verbivoraciouspress,
2016, VII-XIV. [abs]
- Moi, T. "‘Øyeblikkets bedrageriske fylde’: Handling, språk og eksistens i Liv Køltzows forfatterskap." Å forsvinne i teksten Ed. Køltzow, L; Blad, HP. Flamme Forlag,
- Showalter, E; Moi, T. "Elaine showalter a literature of their own." Feminist Literary Criticism. January, 2014, 24-52. [doi] [abs]
- Moi, T. "Ibsen’s Late Style." Henrik Ibsen, The Master Builder and Other Plays. Penguin Books,
2014. (9,000 words)
- Moi, T. "Stumhet og kjærlighet: En lesning av Amtmandens Døttre [Muteness and Love: A Reading of The District Governor’s Daughters].." Å bli en stemme: Nye studier i Camilla Colletts forfatterskap Ed. Haugen, T. Novus Forlag,
- Moi, T. "’Something That Might Resemble a Kind of Love’: Fantasy and Realism in Henrik Ibsen’s Little Eyolf." Understanding Love Through Philosophy, Film, and Fiction, ed. Susan Wolfe and Christopher Grau Ed. Susan Wolf and Christopher Grau. Oxford University Press,
December, 2013, 185-208.
- Moi, T. "‘To Make them Other, and Face Them’: Literature, Philosophy and ‘La Femme rompue’." Women, Genre and Circumstance: Essays in Memory of Elizabeth Fallaize Ed. Atack, M; Holmes, D; Knight, D; Still, J. Oxford: Legenda,
- Moi, T. "Access to the Universal: Language, Literature and the Humanities." The Critical Pulse: Thirty-Six Credos by Contemporary Critics Ed. Williams, J; Steffen, H. Columbia University Press,
- Moi, T. "Response to eight respondents to my book Revolution of the Ordinary." Nonsite.Org (May, 2019).
- Moi, T. "Describing My Struggle." The Point (December, 2017).
- Moi, T. "Naised: sugu, soolisus ja vabadus [Translation of “Women: Sex, Gender, and Freedom: Thoughts about Equality and Difference” Manuscript written for the Ministry for Equality’s Feminist Research Conference in Tallinn, Estonia, on June 1, 2015]." translated by Larin, L; Talvik, R
Sirp: Eesti Kultuurileht (July, 2015): 3-5.