M Kathy Rudy, Professor
|Office Location:|| 210 East Duke Building|
|Office Phone:|| (919) 684-4063 |
|Email Address: ||
Teaching (Fall 2015):
- Womenst 366s.01, Nature, culture, and gender
- Tba, W 04:40 PM-07:10 PM
- Womenst 367s.01, Feminist ethics
- West duke 202, TuTh 04:40 PM-05:55 PM
- (also cross-listed as ETHICS 204S.05, POLSCI 383.06)
- PhD Duke University 1993
- M.Div. Duke University 1989
- Research Interests: Ethics, Animals, Feminism, Religion, Food Politics, Conservation, Ecofeminism
Rudy's early research included reproductive ethics, religious ethics, sexuality, and feminist theory. Among publications in her early years are Sex and the Church Gender, Sexuality, and the Transformation of Christian Ethics (Beacon Press 1997), Beyond Pro-Life and Pro-Choice: Moral Diversity in the Abortion Debate (Beacon Press, 1996), as well as many scholarly articles. Her new work focuses on animals and ethics, nature, food politics, ecology, and ecofeminism. Her new book is Loving Animals, Minnesota 2011. She also has several essays coming out in the next year, including “LGBTQ…Z?,” “Locavorism, Feminism, and the Question of Meat,” “On Changing the (Post) Human Subject,” and "Bestial Imaginings."
Recent Publications (More Publications)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Kathy Rudy. "LGBTQ…Z." Hypatia 27:3 (2012): 601-615.
- Kathy Rudy. "If We Could Talk to the Animals: On Changing the (Post) Human Subject." Speaking for Animals: Animal Autobiographical Writing. Edited by Margo DeMello. 2012.
- Kathy Rudy. "Locavores, Feminism, and The Question of Meat." Nominated for the Wayne D. Rasmussen Award for best 2012 article in agricultural history
Journal of American Culture 35:1 (2012): 26-37.
- Kathy Rudy, "Review of Lori Gruen’s Ethics and Animals". Ethics and Environment (2012).
- Kathy Rudy. "Bestial Imaginings." Routledge Handbook of Human-Animal Studies. Edited by Susan McHugh and Gary Marvin. 2012.