Bruce B. Lawrence
Nancy and Jeffrey Marcus Humanities Professor Emeritus of Religion
Office Location: 314 Gray Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
Office Phone: (919) 660-3506
Email Address: email@example.com
Honorary PhD, Virginia Theological Seminary, 2006
Ph.D., Yale University, 1972
Research Categories: Islam, India, and Religion in Cyberspace
manifesto on contemporary Islam, , minorities - Muslim-Christian and Christian-Muslim, , prophecy and power
Research Description: The Comparative Study of Religious Movements; Institutional Islam, especially in Asia; Indo-Persian Sufism; the Religious Masks of Violence; Contemporary Islam as Abrahamic Faith and Religious Ideology
Typical Courses Taught:
- Lawrence, BB, The Koran in English: A Biography
pp. 280 pages, Princeton University Press [abs].
- Lawrence, BB, The Study Quran: A New Translation and Commentary SeyyedHossein Nasr, Editor-in-Chief General Editors: Caner K.Dagli, Maria MassiDakake, Joseph E. B.Lumbard Assistant Editor: MohammedRustom San Francisco: HarperOne, 20152048pp. Cloth, $59.99, ISBN: 978-00,
Muslim World, vol. 106 no. 3
pp. 633-638, WILEY [doi] .
- Kurzman, C; Lawrence, BB, Muslim modernities: Interdisciplinary insights across time and space, edited by Ray, DE; Gedacht, J,
Muslim World, vol. 105 no. 4
pp. 440-445, WILEY [doi] .
- Lawrence, BB, The Millennial Sovereign: Sacred Kingship and Sainthood in Islam By A. AZFAR MOIN,
Journal of Islamic Studies, vol. 26 no. 1
pp. 69-72, Oxford University Press (OUP) [doi] .
- Lawrence, BB, Applying Ibn Khaldun: The Recovery of a Lost Tradition in Sociology,
Middle East Journal, vol. 69 no. 2
pp. 318-319 .
The Comparative Study of Religious Movements; Institutional Islam, especially in Asia; Indo-Persian Sufism; the Religious Masks of Violence; Contemporary Islam as Abrahamic Faith and Religious Ideology