Office Location: Room 216 Gray Building, Durham, NC 27708
Office Phone: (919) 660-3521
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Page: http://en.kadivar.com/
Ph.D., Tarbiat Modares University (Iran), 1999
Research Categories: Modern Qur’anic Studies, Classical Islamic Philosophy, Islamic Legal & Ethical Theories, Islamic Political Thought, Human Rights and Democracy in Islam, Classical and Modern Shi’a Theology
Teaching (Fall 2018):
- RELIGION 374S.01, Muslim philosophy and theology
- Social sciences 105, MW 04:40 PM-05:55 PM
- RELIGION 663.01, Islam and modernism
- Gray 319, Tu 04:55 PM-07:25 PM
- Kadivar, M, Human action within divine creation: A Muslim perspective,
in God's Creativity and Human Action: Christian and Muslim Perspectives
pp. 7-22 .
- Kadivar, M, Enqelab va nezam dar buteye Naqd-e Akhlaqi (Testing the Revolution and Regime with Ethical Criticism: Ayatollah S. Muhammad Rouhan, Slander and Authority),, vol. 3
pp. 233 pages, self-published e-book [abs].
- Kadivar, M, Ijtihad in Usul al-Fiqh: Reforming Islamic Thought through Structural Ijtihad, vol. 30 no. 3
pp. XX-XXVII, University of Toronto, Department of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations [abs].
- Kadivar, M, Sug-Name-ye Faqih-e Pakbaz (A Tribute of the Virtuous Theologian Ayatollah Montazeri)
pp. 427 pages, self-published e-book [abs].
- Kadivar, M, Dar Mahzar-e Faqih-e Azadeh (In the Presence of a Noble Theologian Ayatollah Montazeri (1922-2009) A Collection of Exchanges between the Mentor and the Disciple)
pp. 404 pages, self-published e-book [abs].
Mohsen Kadivar is a research professor of Islamic studies at the department of Religious Studies, Duke University since 2009. He earned the certificate of Ijtihad from the theologian seminary of Qom and received a PhD of Islamic Philosophy and theology from Tarbiate Modarress University in Tehran. Kadivar has published several books in Persian and Arabic and a dozen of essays in English. His interests span both classical and modern Islamic thought with a special focus on Islamic philosophy, theology, law, ethics, Qur'anic studies, Shi'i political thought, Islam and modernity (specially democracy and human rights), religion and science, religion and politics, comparative medieval philosophy and comparative religious studies. You can find more information about Kaivar’s recent works on his website: http://kadivar.com/