Harris M. Cooper, Hugo L. Blomquist Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Psychology and Neuroscience
- Contact Info:
- Ph.D. University of Connecticut 1975
- Social Psychology 1976
- PhD Social Psychology University of Connecticut 1976
- M.A. University of Connecticut 1974
- B.A. State University of New York, Stony Brook 1972
- BA Psychology and Sociology SUNY at Stony Brook 1972
- Research Interests:
My research interests follow two paths. The first concerns research synthesis. I study how research syntheses can best be carried out and how their results can be communicated to general audiences as well as scholars. My students and I have published research syntheses in varied fields, including personality and social psychology, developmental psychology, educational psychology, education policy, marketing, and developmental medicine and child neurology.
Second, I am interested in the application of social and developmental psychology to educational policy issues. Our recent research includes syntheses on the effects of (a) homework,(b) the length of the school day and year and (c) full-day kindergarten on academic performance. We are currently working on syntheses of research on the effectiveness of academic tutoring and have initiated a new series of reviews on how grades and grading strategies affect academic performance and related thoughts, feelings and behaviors.
Finally, after serving as editor of the Psychological Bulletin from 2003 through mid-2009, I now serve as the co-editor of Archives of Scientific Psychology, APA's first open access, data sharing journal. I also serve as the editorial advisor for the APA journals program.
I teach both graduate and undergraduate research methods classes.
- Areas of Interest:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Representative Publications
- Cooper, H; Koenka, AC, The overview of reviews: unique challenges and opportunities when research syntheses are the principal elements of new integrative scholarship.,
American Psychologist, vol. 67 no. 6
pp. 446-462 [doi] [abs].
- H. Cooper, Handbook of Research Methods in Psychology
(2012), American Psychological Association.
- Cooper, H, Research Synthesis and Meta-Analysis: A Step-by-Step Approach, 4th Edition
pp. 280 pages, SAGE PUBLICATIONS INC [abs].
- Cooper, H; Patall, EA, The Relative Benefits of Meta-Analysis Conducted With Individual Participant Data Versus Aggregated Data,
Psychological Methods, vol. 14 no. 2
pp. 165-176 [doi] [abs].
- Cooper, H; Robinson, JC; Patall, EA, Does homework improve academic achievement? A synthesis of research, 1987-2003,
Review of Educational Research, vol. 76 no. 1
pp. 1-62, American Educational Research Association (AERA) [doi] [abs].
- H.M. Cooper, Charlton, K., Valentine, J. & Muhlenbruck, L., Making the Most of Summer School, Monographs Series of the Society for Research in Child Development
Duke University * Arts & Sciences * Faculty * Staff * Reload * Login