Richard J. Powell, John Spencer Bassett Distinguished Professor of Art and Art History
- Contact Info:
|Office Location:|| 114 Buchanan Blvd, Smith Warehouse, Bay 9, A287c, Durham, NC 27708|
|Office Phone:|| (919) 684-2473 |
|Email Address: || |
|Web Page: || http://www.richardjpowell.com|
Teaching (Fall 2022):
- Arthist 384.01, Art of the us
- Smith wrhs a290, M 10:15 AM-12:45 PM
- Arthist 546s.01, The american artist
- Smith wrhs a266, Tu 01:45 PM-04:15 PM
- Ph.D. Yale University 1988
- M.Phil. Yale University 1984
- M.A. Yale University 1982
- M.F.A. Howard University 1977
- B.A. Morehouse College 1975
Art of the United States
- Research Interests:
Richard J. Powell received his Ph.D. from Yale University. His research and teaching interests lie in American art, African American art, and theories of race and representation in the African diaspora. He is also interested in the media arts and conceptualizations of the "folk" in world art and culture. His books include Homecoming: The Art and Life of William H. Johnson and Black Art: A Cultural History.
- Representative Publications
- Powell, RJ, Linguists, Poets, and ‘Others’ on African American Art,
American Art, vol. 17
- Powell, RJ, Black Art A Cultural History
pp. 360 pages, London: Thames and Hudson, Ltd. (Revised & expanded edition of Black Art & Culture in the 20th Century, 1997; Spanish translation: Arte y Cultura Negros en el Siglo XX, Barcelona: Ediciones Destino, S.A., 1998.) [abs].
- Powell, RJ, Appreciation. Jacob Lawrence: Keep on Movin’,
American Art, vol. 15 no. 1
pp. 90-93 , [doi].
- Powell, RJ, To Be Real,
in The Barkley L. Hendricks Experience
pp. 13-15, New London, Connecticut: Lyman Allyn.
- Powell, RJ, Sartor Africanus,
in Dandies: Fashion and Finesse in Art and Culture, edited by Fillin-Yeh, S
pp. 217-242, New York: New York University Press.
Duke University * Arts & Sciences * Faculty * Staff * Reload * Login