Joshua Socolar, Professor of Physics and CNCS: Center for nonlinear and complex systems
Prof. Socolar is interested in the principles that determine collective behavior in condensed matter and dynamical systems. His current research interests include:
- Limit-periodic structures, quasicrystals, packing problems, and tiling theory.
- Self-assembly of colloidal particles with designed interactions.
- Organization and function of complex dynamical networks, especially biological networks, but also including electronic circuits and social interaction networks;
- Mechanistic models of genetic regulatory networks;
- Contact Info:
Teaching (Fall 2015):
- PHYSICS 161D.001, FUNDAMENTALS OF PHYSICS I
- Physics 154, TuTh 10:20 AM-11:20 AM
- PHYSICS 161D.01D, FUNDAMENTALS OF PHYSICS I
- Physics 154, W 01:15 PM-03:15 PM
|Ph.D.||University of Pennsylvania||1987|
|BA||Haverford College, Haverford, PA||1980|
Nonlinear dynamics and complex systems
Theoretical condensed matter physics
- Research Interests: Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics
Prof. Socolar is interested in the principles that determine
collective behavior in condensed matter and dynamical systems.
His current research interests include:
- Organization and function of complex dynamical networks, especially genetic regulatory networks;.
- The spatial distribution of stresses granular materials (e.g.
bins of sand, coal, pills, or grain) and jamming phenomena;
- Controlling chaos, or understanding feedback mechanisms that can stabilize otherwise unstable ordered behavior in chaotic dynamical systems;
- Quasicrystals, packing problems, and tiling theory.
- Areas of Interest:
- Theoretical condensed matter physics
Nonlinear dynamics and control theory
Statistical mechanics in nonequilibrium systems
Complex Boolean networks
Genetic regulatory networks
- Algorithms • Animals • Arrhythmias, Cardiac • Biological Clocks • Biological Evolution • Biophysics • Bone and Bones • Boolean networks • Cell Cycle • Cell Differentiation • Cell Physiological Phenomena • Cell Proliferation • Computational Biology • Computer Graphics • Computer Simulation • Condensed matter • Control theory • Cyclin-Dependent Kinases • Cyclins • Data Interpretation, Statistical • Diffusion • Disease Outbreaks • Electrophysiology • Embryo, Nonmammalian • Embryonic Development • Feedback • Feedback, Physiological • G1 Phase • Gastrula • Gene Expression • Gene Expression Regulation • Gene Expression Regulation, Developmental • Gene Expression Regulation, Fungal • Gene Regulatory Networks • Genetic regulatory networks • Granular materials • Growth • Heart • Humans • Logistic Models • Mathematical Computing • Mathematical Concepts • Membrane Potentials • Mesoderm • Models, Biological • Models, Cardiovascular • Models, Chemical • Models, Genetic • Models, Statistical • Models, Theoretical • Mutation • Myocardium • Neural Networks (Computer) • Nonlinear dynamics • Nonlinear Dynamics • Nuclear Reprogramming • Periodicity • Physical Phenomena • Physics • Plant Development • Politics • Population Dynamics • Probability • Proteome • Public Opinion • S Phase • Saccharomyces cerevisiae • Sensitivity and Specificity • Signal Processing, Computer-Assisted • Signal Transduction • Social Support • Statistics as Topic • Systems Theory • Tiling theory • Time Factors • Transcription Factors • Transcription, Genetic • Variations • Ventricular Fibrillation • Yeasts
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Sargis Karapetyan
- Catherine Marcoux
- Postdocs Mentored
- Xianrui Cheng (September 01, 2012 - March 01, 2013)
- Volkan Sevim (March, 2008 - August, 2010)
- Bjorn Samuelsson (November, 2005 - August 31, 2007)
- Recent Publications
- Y Yang, L Fu, C Marcoux, JE Socolar, P Charbonneau and BB Yellen, Phase transformations in binary colloidal monolayers.,
Soft matter, vol. 11 no. 12
pp. 2404-2415, ISSN 1744-683X [doi] [abs]
- Y. Yang, L. Fu, C. Marcoux, P. Charbonneau, J.E.S. Socolar, B. B. Yellen, Phase transformations in binary colloidal monolayers,
(February, 2015) [doi] [abs]
- M. Sun, X. Cheng, and J. E. S. Socolar, Regulatory logic and pattern formation in the early sea urchin embryo.,
Journal of theoretical biology, vol. 363
pp. 80-92, ISSN 0022-5193 [doi] [abs]
- Y. Yang, L. Fu, C. Marcoux, J. E. S. Socolar, P. Charbonneau, B. B. Yellen, Martensitic transformations in binary colloidal monolayers,
(Submitted, October, 2014)
- Marcoux, Catherine and Byington, Travis W. and Qian, Zongjin and Charbonneau, Patrick and Socolar, Joshua E. S., Emergence of limit-periodic order in tiling models.,
Physical review. E, Statistical, nonlinear, and soft matter physics, vol. 90 no. 1
pp. 012136, American Physical Society, ISSN 1539-3755 [PhysRevE.90.012136], [doi] [abs]
- Selected Invited Lectures
- Autonomous Boolean modeling of gene regulatory networks, May 07, 2012, Mathematical Biosciences Institute, Ohio State U.
- Hierarchical freezing in a limit-periodic structure, October 15, 2011, Princeton Center for Theoretical Science
- Periodicity and chaos in delayed Boolean networks, July 19, 2011, ICIAM Conference, Vancouver, Canada
- Relaxation to a limit-periodic ground state, May 23, 2011, Haverford College, Haverford, PA
- Dynamics of Random Networks and Boolean Models, June 28, 2009, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA
For more information, see
Prof. Socolar's Home Page.