Vahid Tarokh, Rhodes Family Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science
A pioneer in communications and signal processing, Vahid Tarokh helped invent the space-time codes that provide signal redundancy during data transmission and are now used in most cellular phones, and also developed foundational approaches to cognitive radios and distributed communication techniques that are currently being deployed for sharing valuable spectral resources. Dr. Tarokh’s research has since evolved to pursuing new formulations and approaches to getting the most out of datasets. Current projects are focused on representation, modeling, inference and prediction from data such as determining how different people will respond to exposure to certain viruses, predicting rare events from small amounts of data, formulation and calculation of limits of learning from observations, and privacy and security for the Internet of Things.
- Contact Info:
|Ph.D.||University of Waterloo (Canada)||1995|
- Recent Publications
- Tarokh, V; Naguib, A; Seshadri, N; Calderbank, AR, Erratum: Space-time codes for high data rate wireless communications: Performance criteria in the presence of channel estimation errors, mobility, and multiple paths (IEEE Trans. Commun. (1999) 47, (199-207)),
IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 51 no. 12
pp. 2141- [doi]
- Tarokh, V; Jafarkhani, H; Calderbank, AR, Space-time block codes from orthogonal designs,
IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 45 no. 5
pp. 1456-1467 [doi] [abs]
- Tarokh, V; Jafarkhani, H; Calderbank, AR, Space-time block coding for wireless communications: Performance results,
IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 17 no. 3
pp. 451-460 [doi] [abs]
- Tarokh, V; Naguib, A; Seshadri, N; Calderbank, AR, Recent progress in space-time block and trellis coding,
IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory - Proceedings
pp. 314 [doi] [abs]
- Tarokh, V; Jafarkhani, H; Calderbank, AR, The application of orthogonal designs to wireless communication,
1998 Information Theory Workshop, ITW 1998
pp. 46-47, ISBN 0780344081 [doi] [abs]
- Recent Grant Support
- Optimal Online Data-Driven Optimization with Multiple Time-Varying Non-Convex Objectives, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, FA8650-18-1-7837, 2018/04-2919/04.
- Closed-Loop Multisensory Brain-Computer Interface for Enhanced Decision Accuracy, University of Southern California, W911NF-16-1-0368, 2018/01-2021/08.
- Decentralized Perception from Online Learning and Semantic Understanding, Office of Naval Research, N00014-18-1-2244, 2018/05-2021/04.
- Beyond Shannon Inspired Approaches to Limits of Learning, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, 2018/04-2019/03.