Victoria S Akin, Assistant Professor of the Practice
I am interested in Math Education. In particular, I am studying retention of women in STEM and the effect of intervention programs on girls' attitudes and beliefs about math.
I am interested in mapping class groups of orientable surfaces. In particular, can a subgroup of the mapping class group with a natural topological or geometric definition be characterized purely algebraically? Does the algebraic characterization reveal properties of the mapping class group? Currently, I would like to characterize the disk-pushing subgroup, handle-pushing subgroup, and braid group inside of their respective mapping class groups.
- Contact Info:
Teaching (Spring 2019):
- MATH 112L.002, LABORATORY CALCULUS II
- West Duke 105, MW 10:20 AM-11:10 AM; Bio Sci 111, Th 11:45 AM-01:00 PM
- MATH 112L.003, LABORATORY CALCULUS II
- West Duke 105, MW 12:00 PM-12:50 PM; Bio Sci 111, Th 11:45 AM-01:00 PM
- Office Hours:
- 112L: Spring 2019 TBA
|Ph.D.||University of Chicago||2017|
- Education and instruction in mathematics • Geometric group theory