Elizabeth M. Brannon, Professor
Dr. Brannon's research program examines the evolution and development of quantitative cognition. She studies how number, time, and spatial extent are represented by adult humans, infants, young children and nonhuman animals without language. With her many collaborators at Duke she applies behavioral techniques, event-related potentials, functional magnetic resonance imaging, and single-unit physiology to explore the cognitive and neural underpinnings of numerical cognition in nonhuman primates and throughout the human lifespan.
Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience
- Jordan, K.E., MacLean, E., & Brannon, E.M. (2008). Monkeys match and tally quantities across senses. Cognition, 108(3), 617-625.
- Brannon, E.M., Libertus, M. Meck, W.H., Woldorff, M. (2008). Electrophysiological measures of time processing in infant and adult brains: Weber's law holds. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 20(2), 193-203.
- Cordes, S., Brannon, E.M (2008). The difficulties of representing continuous extent in infancy: Using number is just easier. Child Development, 79(2), 476-489.
- Cantlon, J.F. & Brannon, E.M. (2007).
Basic math in monkeys and college students. PLoS Biology, 5(12), e328.
- Roitman, J., Brannon. E.M. & Platt, M.L. (2007). Monotonic coding of numerosity in Macaque lateral intraparietal area. PLoS Biology, 5(8), e208.
- Brannon E.M., Suanda, U., Libertus, K (2007). Temporal discrimination increases in precision over development and parallels the development of numerosity discrimination. Developmental Science, 10(6), 770-777.
- Brannon, E.M. (2006). The representation of numerical magnitude. Current Opinion in Neurobiology, 16, 222-229.
- Cantlon, J., & Brannon, E.M., Carter, E.J., & Pelphrey, K. (2006). Functional imaging of numerical processing in adults and 4-y-old children. PLOS Biology, 4(5), e125, 1-11.
Joonkoo Park (post-doc)
Michal Pinhas (post-doc)
Monica Carlson (monkey lab manager)
Celia Litovsky (developmental lab manager)
Courses (Fall 2013):
- Evanth 495s.01, Adv research evol/anthopology
- Bio sci 013, W 06:15 PM-07:30 PM
- Psy 757s.01, Cog neuro presentation i
- Lsrc b240, M 12:00 PM-01:30 PM
- Postdocs Mentored
- JoonKoo Park (2011/12-present)
- Michal Pinhas (2011 - 2013)
- Dustin Merritt (October 1, 2006 - 2012)
- Sara Cordes (October 1, 2005 - 2009)
- Jamie Roitman (August 1, 2005 - June 1, 2006)
- Donna Lutz (July 15, 2003 - 2005)
- Kerrie Lewis (January 15, 2003 - 2004)
- Tatiana Gautier (2002/08-2003/08)