Terrie E. Moffitt, Nannerl O. Keohane University Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience and Professor in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and Faculty Network Member of Duke Institute for Brain Sciences and Faculty Research Scholar of DuPRI's Center for Population Health & Aging and Faculty Research Scholar of DuPRI's Population Research Center and Affiliate of Center for Child and Family Policy
- Contact Info:
Teaching (Fall 2016):
- Psy 754s.01, Clinical assessment
- Soc/psych 237, M 04:40 PM-07:10 PM
|Ph.D.||University of Southern California||1984|
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Neuropsychiatric Institute, UCLA Medical School||1984|
|M.A.||University of Southern California||1981|
|B.A.||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||1977|
|BA, Psychology||University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill||1977|
- Research Interests: developmental psychopathology, behavioral genetics, mental health epidemiology
- Lab Website
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Daniel Belsky (2012/12-present)
- Salomon Israel (2012/12-present)
- Sidra Goldman-Mellor (2012/12-present)
- Michael Pluess (2012/12-present)
- Argyris Stringaris (2011/12-present)
- Helen Fisher (2011/12-present)
- Idan Shalev (2011/12-present)
- Madeline Meier (2010 - 2012)
- Guilherme Polanczyk (2008 - 2010)
- Karen Sugden (2011)
- Maria Melchior (2006 - 2007)
- Alice Gregory (2005 - 2006)
- Candice Odgers (2005 - 2007)
- Kali Trzesniewski (2003 - 2005)
- Jon Mill (2003 - 2004)
- Julia Kim-Cohen (2002 - 2005)
- Sara Jaffee (2001 - 2003)
- Louise Arseneault (1998 - 2001)
- Richard Miech (1997)
- Brad E. Wright (1996 - 1998)
- Lynn Magdol (1995 - 1996)
- Denise Newman (1995 - 1996)
- Representative Publications
- L Arseneault, M Cannon, HL Fisher, G Polanczyk, TE Moffitt and A Caspi (2011). Childhood trauma and children's emerging psychotic symptoms: A genetically sensitive longitudinal cohort study.. Am J Psychiatry, 168(1), 65-72. , [doi] [abs]
- DW Belsky, A Caspi, L Arseneault, W Bleidorn, P Fonagy, M Goodman, R Houts and TE Moffitt (2012).
Etiological features of borderline personality related characteristics in a birth cohort of 12-year-old children.. Dev Psychopathol, 24(1), 251-265. , [doi] [abs]
- Bowes, L., Maughan, B., Ball, H., Shakoor, S., Ouellet-Morin, I., Caspi, A., Moffitt, T.E., & Arseneault, L. (May, 2013).
Chronic bullying victimization across school transitions: The role of genetic and environmental influences. Development and Psychopathology, 25(2), 333-346. , [doi] [abs]
- A Danese, A Caspi, B Williams, A Ambler, K Sugden, J Mika, H Werts, J Freeman, CM Pariante, TE Moffitt and L Arseneault (2011). Biological embedding of stress through inflammation processes in childhood.. Mol Psychiatry, 16(3), 244-246. , [doi]
- NMG Fontaine, EJP McCrory, M Boivin, TE Moffitt and E Viding (2011). Predictors and Outcomes of Joint Trajectories of Callous-Unemotional Traits and Conduct Problems in Childhood. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 120(3), 730-742. [doi] [abs]
- AM Gregory, TE Moffitt, A Ambler, L Arseneault, RM Houts and A Caspi (2012).
Maternal insomnia and children's family socialization environments.. Sleep, 35(4), 579-582. , [doi] [abs]
- JR Grisham, MA Fullana, D Mataix Cols, TE Moffitt, A Caspi and R Poulton (In Press).
Childhood risk factors associated with adult obsessive-compulsive symptoms and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Psychological Medicine.
- DR Lynam, R Charnigo, TE Moffitt, A Raine, R Loeber and M Stouthamer-Loeber (2009). The stability of psychopathy across adolescence. Development and Psychopathology, 21(4), 1133-1153. [doi] [abs]
- TE Moffitt, L Arseneault, D Belsky, N Dickson, RJ Hancox, H Harrington, R Houts, R Poulton, BW Roberts, S Ross, MR Sears, WM Thomson and A Caspi (2011). A gradient of childhood self-control predicts health, wealth, and public safety.. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 108(7), 2693-2698. , [doi] [abs]
- Ouellet-Morin, I., Danese, A., Bowes, L., Shakoor, S., Ambler, A., Pariante, C., Papadopoulos, A., Caspi, A Moffitt, T.E., & Arseneault, L. (2011). A discordant MZ twin design shows blunted cortisol reactivity among bullied children. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 50, 574-582.
- I Ouellet-Morin, CL Odgers, A Danese, L Bowes, S Shakoor, AS Papadopoulos, A Caspi, TE Moffitt and L Arseneault (2011). Blunted cortisol responses to stress signal social and behavioral problems among maltreated/bullied 12-year-old children.. Biol Psychiatry, 70(11), 1016-1023. , [doi] [abs]
- S Shakoor, SR Jaffee, L Bowes, I Ouellet-Morin, P Andreou, F Happé, TE Moffitt and L Arseneault (2012).
A prospective longitudinal study of children's theory of mind and adolescent involvement in bullying. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 53(3), 254-261. [doi] [abs]
- S Shakoor, SR Jaffee, P Andreou, L Bowes, AP Ambler, A Caspi, TE Moffitt and L Arseneault (2011). Mothers and children as informants of bullying victimization: results from an epidemiological cohort of children.. J Abnorm Child Psychol, 39(3), 379-387. , [doi] [abs]
- Shearer, DM, Thomson, WM, Caspi, A, Moffitt, TE, Poulton R. (2011). Family history and oral health: findings from the Dunedin Family History Study. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology.
- DM Shearer, WM Thomson, A Caspi, TE Moffitt, JM Broadbent and R Poulton (2011). Inter-generational continuity in periodontal health: findings from the Dunedin family history study.. J Clin Periodontol, 38(4), 301-309. , [doi] [abs]
- W Slutske, TE Moffitt, R Poulton and A Caspi (2012).
Under-controlled child temperament predicts adult problem gambling. Psychological Science, 23(5), 510-516. , [doi] [abs]
- WM Thomson, A Caspi, R Poulton, TE Moffitt and JM Broadbent (2011). Personality and oral health.. Eur J Oral Sci, 119(5), 366-372. , [doi] [abs]
- R Uher, A Caspi, R Houts, K Sugden, B Williams, R Poulton and TE Moffitt (2011). Serotonin transporter gene moderates childhood maltreatment's effects on persistent but not single-episode depression: replications and implications for resolving inconsistent results.. J Affect Disord, 135(1-3), 56-65. , [doi] [abs]
- P Zimmermann, T Brückl, A Nocon, H Pfister, EB Binder, M Uhr, R Lieb, TE Moffitt, A Caspi, F Holsboer and M Ising (2011). Interaction of FKBP5 gene variants and adverse life events in predicting depression onset: results from a 10-year prospective community study.. Am J Psychiatry, 168(10), 1107-1116. , [doi] [abs]
Ute Wittmann Pair