Terrie E. Moffitt, Nannerl O. Keohane University Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience and Professor in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and Faculty Network Member of Duke Institute for Brain Sciences and Faculty Research Scholar of DuPRI's Center for Population Health & Aging and Faculty Research Scholar of DuPRI's Population Research Center and Affiliate of Center for Child and Family Policy
- Contact Info:
|Ph.D.||University of Southern California||1984|
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Neuropsychiatric Institute, UCLA Medical School||1984|
|M.A.||University of Southern California||1981|
|B.A.||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||1977|
|BA, Psychology||University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill||1977|
- Research Interests: developmental psychopathology, behavioral genetics, mental health epidemiology
- Lab Website
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Daniel Belsky (2012/12-present)
- Salomon Israel (2012/12-present)
- Sidra Goldman-Mellor (2012/12-present)
- Michael Pluess (2012/12-present)
- Argyris Stringaris (2011/12-present)
- Helen Fisher (2011/12-present)
- Idan Shalev (2011/12-present)
- Madeline Meier (2010 - 2012)
- Guilherme Polanczyk (2008 - 2010)
- Karen Sugden (2011)
- Maria Melchior (2006 - 2007)
- Alice Gregory (2005 - 2006)
- Candice Odgers (2005 - 2007)
- Kali Trzesniewski (2003 - 2005)
- Jon Mill (2003 - 2004)
- Julia Kim-Cohen (2002 - 2005)
- Sara Jaffee (2001 - 2003)
- Louise Arseneault (1998 - 2001)
- Richard Miech (1997)
- Brad E. Wright (1996 - 1998)
- Lynn Magdol (1995 - 1996)
- Denise Newman (1995 - 1996)
- Representative Publications
- Arseneault, L; Cannon, M; Fisher, HL; Polanczyk, G; Moffitt, TE; Caspi, A (2011). Childhood trauma and children's emerging psychotic symptoms: A genetically sensitive longitudinal cohort study.. American Journal of Psychiatry, 168(1), 65-72. , [doi] [abs]
- Belsky, DW; Caspi, A; Arseneault, L; Bleidorn, W; Fonagy, P; Goodman, M; Houts, R; Moffitt, TE (2012).
Etiological features of borderline personality related characteristics in a birth cohort of 12-year-old children.. Development and Psychopathology, 24(1), 251-265. , [doi] [abs]
- Bowes, L., Maughan, B., Ball, H., Shakoor, S., Ouellet-Morin, I., Caspi, A., Moffitt, T.E., & Arseneault, L. (May, 2013).
Chronic bullying victimization across school transitions: The role of genetic and environmental influences. Development and Psychopathology, 25(2), 333-346. , [doi] [abs]
- Danese, A; Caspi, A; Williams, B; Ambler, A; Sugden, K; Mika, J; Werts, H; Freeman, J; Pariante, CM; Moffitt, TE; Arseneault, L (2011). Biological embedding of stress through inflammation processes in childhood.. Molecular Psychiatry, 16(3), 244-246. , [doi]
- Fontaine, NMG; McCrory, EJP; Boivin, M; Moffitt, TE; Viding, E (2011). Predictors and Outcomes of Joint Trajectories of Callous-Unemotional Traits and Conduct Problems in Childhood. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 120(3), 730-742. [doi] [abs]
- Gregory, AM; Moffitt, TE; Ambler, A; Arseneault, L; Houts, RM; Caspi, A (2012).
Maternal insomnia and children's family socialization environments.. Sleep, 35(4), 579-582. , [doi] [abs]
- Grisham, JR; Fullana, MA; Mataix Cols, D; Moffitt, TE; Caspi, A; Poulton, R (In Press).
Childhood risk factors associated with adult obsessive-compulsive symptoms and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Psychological Medicine.
- Lynam, DR; Charnigo, R; Moffitt, TE; Raine, A; Loeber, R; Stouthamer-Loeber, M (2009). The stability of psychopathy across adolescence. Development and Psychopathology, 21(4), 1133-1153. [doi] [abs]
- Moffitt, TE; Arseneault, L; Belsky, D; Dickson, N; Hancox, RJ; Harrington, H; Houts, R; Poulton, R; Roberts, BW; Ross, S; Sears, MR; Thomson, WM; Caspi, A (2011). A gradient of childhood self-control predicts health, wealth, and public safety.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, 108(7), 2693-2698. , [doi] [abs]
- Ouellet-Morin, I., Danese, A., Bowes, L., Shakoor, S., Ambler, A., Pariante, C., Papadopoulos, A., Caspi, A Moffitt, T.E., & Arseneault, L. (2011). A discordant MZ twin design shows blunted cortisol reactivity among bullied children. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 50, 574-582.
- Ouellet-Morin, I; Odgers, CL; Danese, A; Bowes, L; Shakoor, S; Papadopoulos, AS; Caspi, A; Moffitt, TE; Arseneault, L (2011). Blunted cortisol responses to stress signal social and behavioral problems among maltreated/bullied 12-year-old children.. Biological Psychiatry, 70(11), 1016-1023. , [doi] [abs]
- Shakoor, S; Jaffee, SR; Bowes, L; Ouellet-Morin, I; Andreou, P; Happé, F; Moffitt, TE; Arseneault, L (2012).
A prospective longitudinal study of children's theory of mind and adolescent involvement in bullying. The Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 53(3), 254-261. [doi] [abs]
- Shakoor, S; Jaffee, SR; Andreou, P; Bowes, L; Ambler, AP; Caspi, A; Moffitt, TE; Arseneault, L (2011). Mothers and children as informants of bullying victimization: results from an epidemiological cohort of children.. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 39(3), 379-387. , [doi] [abs]
- Shearer, DM, Thomson, WM, Caspi, A, Moffitt, TE, Poulton R. (2011). Family history and oral health: findings from the Dunedin Family History Study. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology.
- Shearer, DM; Thomson, WM; Caspi, A; Moffitt, TE; Broadbent, JM; Poulton, R (2011). Inter-generational continuity in periodontal health: findings from the Dunedin family history study.. Journal of Clinical Periodontology, 38(4), 301-309. , [doi] [abs]
- Slutske, W; Moffitt, TE; Poulton, R; Caspi, A (2012).
Under-controlled child temperament predicts adult problem gambling. Psychological Science, 23(5), 510-516. , [doi] [abs]
- Thomson, WM; Caspi, A; Poulton, R; Moffitt, TE; Broadbent, JM (2011). Personality and oral health.. European Journal of Oral Sciences, 119(5), 366-372. , [doi] [abs]
- Uher, R; Caspi, A; Houts, R; Sugden, K; Williams, B; Poulton, R; Moffitt, TE (2011). Serotonin transporter gene moderates childhood maltreatment's effects on persistent but not single-episode depression: replications and implications for resolving inconsistent results.. Journal of Affective Disorders, 135(1-3), 56-65. , [doi] [abs]
- Zimmermann, P; Brückl, T; Nocon, A; Pfister, H; Binder, EB; Uhr, M; Lieb, R; Moffitt, TE; Caspi, A; Holsboer, F; Ising, M (2011). Interaction of FKBP5 gene variants and adverse life events in predicting depression onset: results from a 10-year prospective community study.. American Journal of Psychiatry, 168(10), 1107-1116. , [doi] [abs]
Ute Wittmann Pair