Linda K. George, Arts and Sciences Professor of Sociology and Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience and Professor in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences and Professor of Nursing and Faculty Research Scholar of DuPRI's Center for Population Health & Aging and Associate Director of Center for the Study of Aging and Human Dev
- Contact Info:
Teaching (Spring 2017):
- Sociol 641s.02, Proseminar medical sociology
- Soc/psych 329, MW 03:05 PM-04:20 PM
|M.A. in Sociology||Miami University, Oxford, OH||1972|
|M.A.||Miami University, Ohio||1972|
|BA in Sociology||Miami University, Oxford, Ohio||1969|
|B.A.||Miami University, Ohio||1969|
- Research Interests:
Social support in religious communities, Social antecedents of depression in late life, Explaining the link between religion and health, Examining effects of long-term trajectoris of stress, Impact of medical technology on population health
I received my B.A. and M.A. in sociology from the Miami University of Ohio. My Ph.D. in sociology is from Duke University (1975) and my postdoctoral training, in aging, was performed at Duke University School of Medicine. I am a sociologist interested in social psychology, aging and adult development, medical sociology, and family relationships. I have performed extensive research in these areas. My most recent work examines social precursors of depression, the effects of stress on health, and the relationships between religion and health. I enjoy teaching Social Psychology (SOC 106/PSY 116),and graduate seminars in medical sociology and life course and aging. In 1991, I won the Trinity College Distinguished Teaching Award for my outstanding work in the classroom. I collect murder mysteries.
- Areas of Interest:
- social antecedents of physical and mental health
social factors affecting recovery from illness
stress and social support
religion and health
life course trajectories
- Curriculum Vitae
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Steven Foy
- Wendy Brynildsen
- Rebekah Burroway
- Hui Zheng
- Steven Frenk
- Patricia Thomas
- Jessica Sautter
- Alexandra F Dalton
- Lijun Song
- Postdocs Mentored
- Philippa Clarke (2002/10-2004/09)
- Dorothy Smith-Ruiz (1998/09-2001/08)
- Recent Publications
- George, LK; Ferraro, KF (2015).
Aging and the Social Sciences: Progress and Prospects. In George, LK; Ferraro, KF (Ed.).
Handbook of Aging and the Social Sciences: Eighth Edition (pp. 3-22). Academic Press. [doi] [abs]
- George, LK; Ferraro, KF; Carr, D; Wilmoth, JM; Wolf, DA "Handbook of Aging and the Social Sciences: Eighth Edition." September, 2015: 1-531. [doi] [abs]
- Fu, Q; George, LK (2015). Socioeconomic determinants of childhood overweight and obesity in China: the long arm of institutional power.. Sociology of Health & Illness, 37(6), 805-822. [doi] [abs]
- Fu, Q; George, LK (2015). Sex, Socioeconomic and Regional Disparities in Age Trajectories of Childhood BMI, Underweight and Overweight in China. Asian Population Studies, 11(2), 134-148. [doi]
- George, LK (2015).
Health and Human Development. In Wright, JD (Ed.).
International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences. Elsevier.