Linda K George, Professor
I received my B.A. and M.A. in sociology from the Miami University of Ohio. My Ph.D. in sociology is from Duke University (1975) and my postdoctoral training, in aging, was performed at Duke University School of Medicine. I am a sociologist interested in social psychology, aging and adult development, medical sociology, and family relationships. I have performed extensive research in these areas. My most recent work examines social precursors of depression, the effects of stress on health, and the relationships between religion and health. I enjoy teaching Social Psychology (SOC 106/PSY 116),and graduate seminars in medical sociology and life course and aging. In 1991, I won the Trinity College Distinguished Teaching Award for my outstanding work in the classroom. I collect murder mysteries.
- Steinhauser, K.E., Alexander, S.C., Byock, I.R., & George, L.K. "Do Preparation and Life Completion Discussions Improve Functioning and Quality of Life in Seriously Ill Patients? A Pilot Randomized Control Trial." 2009: 1234-1240.
- Zeng, Y. & George, L.K. "Population Aging and Old Age Insurance in China." Handbook of Social Gerontology.
Ed. Dannefer, W.D. & Phillipson, C. Sage, forthcoming
- George, L.K. "Social Factors, Mental Health, and Aging." Handbook of Aging and the Social Sciences (7th edition).
Ed. Binstock, R.H. & George, L.K. Academic Press, forthcoming
- George, L.K. "Conceptualizing and Measuring Trajectories." The Craft of Life Course Research.
Ed. Elder, G.H., Jr. & Giele, J.Z. Guilford Press, 2009
- George, L.K. "Matilda White Riley." Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development.
Ed. Carr, D. Gale Publishing, 2009
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Steven Foy
- Wendy Brynildsen
- Rebekah Burroway
- Hui Zheng
- Steven Frenk
- Patricia Thomas
- Jessica Sautter
- Alexandra F Dalton
- Lijun Song
- Postdocs Mentored
- Philippa Clarke (2002/10-2004/09)
- Dorothy Smith-Ruiz (1998/09-2001/08)