Merlise Clyde, Professor and Chair
- Contact Info:
- 214A Old Chem Bldg, Box 90251, Durham, NC 27708
- (919) 681-8440
- Personal Web Page:
- Office Hours:
- See individual course pages for office hours associated with courses.
- Ph.D., University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 1993
- M.S., University of California at Riverside, 1988
- M.S., University of Alberta (Canada), 1986
- B.S., Oregon State University, 1985
- Research Interests: Model Choice, Experimental Design, Proteomics, Environmental Statistics
Model uncertainty and choice in prediction and variable selection problems for linear, generalized linear models and multivariate models. Bayesian Model Averaging. Prior distributions for model selection and model averaging. Wavelets and adaptive kernel non-parametric function estimation. Spatial statistics. Experimental design for nonlinear models. Applications in proteomics, bioinformatics, astro-statistics, air pollution and health effects, and environmental sciences.
- STA 122, Bayesian And Modern Statistics
- STA 290, Modern Statistical Data Analys
- STA 244, Linear Models
- Representative Publications
- Clyde, M., Ghosh, J. and Littman, M.. "Bayesian Adaptive Sampling for Bayesian Variable Selection." (Preprint, 2008).
- Liang, F; Paulo, R; Molina, G; Clyde, MA; Berger, JO. "Mixtures of g Priors for Bayesian Variable Selection." Journal of the American Statistical Association 103.481 (2008): 410-423. [pdf], [doi] [abs]
- Clyde, M; George, EI. "Model uncertainty." Statistical Science 19.1 (2004): 81-94. [pdf], [doi] [abs]
- Clyde, M; George, EI. "Flexible empirical Bayes estimation for wavelets." Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series B: Statistical Methodology 62.4 (2000): 681-698. [abs]
- Clyde, M. "Model uncertainty and health effect studies for particulate matter." Environmetrics 11.6 (2000): 745-763. [doi] [abs]
- Dominici, F; Sheppard, L; Clyde, M. "Health effects of air pollution: A statistical review." International Statistical Review 71.2 (2003): 243-276. [abs]
- Clyde, Merlise. "Bayesian model averaging and model search strategies (with discussion)." Bayesian Statistics 6 -- Proceedings of the Sixth Valencia International Meeting (1999): 157--185.
- MacEachern, SN; Clyde, M; Liu, JS. "Sequential importance sampling for nonparametric Bayes models: The next generation." Canadian Journal of Statistics 27.2 (1999): 251-267. [abs]
- Clyde, M; Parmigiani, G; Vidakovic, B. "Multiple shrinkage and subset selection in wavelets." Biometrika 85.2 (1998): 391-401. [abs]
- Clyde, MA; George, EI. "Empirical Bayes estimation in wavelet nonparametric regression." Bayesian Inference in Wavelet-Based Models. Ed. Muller, P; Vidakovic, B SPRINGER, 1999: 309-322. [pdf], [doi] [abs]
- Clyde, MA. "Experimental Design: Bayesian Designs." International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences. Ed. Smelser, NJ; Baltes, PB Science Direct, 2001: 5075-5081. [B0080430767004216], [doi] [abs]
- Clyde, M; Chaloner, K. "The equivalence of constrained and weighted designs in multiple objective design problems." Journal of the American Statistical Association 91.435 (1996): 1236-1244. [abs]
Typical Courses Taught: