Ashutosh Chilkoti, Theo Pilkington Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Director of Graduate Studies
Ashutosh Chilkoti is a professor with Duke's Department of Biomedical Engineering, and Director of the Center for Biologically Inspired Materials and Materials Systems (CBIMMS).
My research in biomolecular engineering and biointerface science focuses on the development of new molecular tools and technology's that borrow from molecular biology, protein engineering, polymer chemistry and surface science that we then exploit for the development of applications that span the range from bioseparations, plasmonic biosensors, low-cost clinical diagnostics, and drug delivery.
|Office Location:||3381 CIEMAS|
|Office Phone:||(919) 660-5373|
Center for Biologically Inspired Materials and Materials systems
- Ph.D., University of Washington, 1991
- B. Tech., Indian Institute of Technology, 1985
- Research Interests:
Chilkoti's research focuses on biomolecular materials and biointerface science and emphasizes the development of applications that span the range from bioseparations, biosensors, patterned biomaterials, and targeted drug delivery.
- Areas of Interest:
- Biomolecular materials
Polymer and Protein Engineering
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Cancer diagnostics and therapy
- Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
Distinguished Alumnus Award , Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, India
Fellow, National Academy of Inventors
Pritzker Distinguished Lecture Award, Biomedical Engineering Society, 2013
Clemson Award for Contributions to the Literature, Society for Biomaterials, 2011
Clemson Award for Contributions to the Literature, Society for Biomaterials
Humboldt Senior Researcher Award, Alexander Von Humboldt Foundation, 2010
Stansell Family Distinguished Research Award, Duke University Pratt School of Engineering, 2008
Distinguished Research Award, Duke University, Pratt School of Engineering, 2005
Fellows, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- Representative Publications
- Bellucci, JJ; Amiram, M; Bhattacharyya, J; McCafferty, D; Chilkoti, A, Three-in-one chromatography-free purification, tag removal, and site-specific modification of recombinant fusion proteins using sortase A and elastin-like polypeptides., Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 52 no. 13 (March, 2013), pp. 3703-3708, WILEY-VCH Verlag , [doi] .
- McDaniel, JR; Bhattacharyya, J; Vargo, KB; Hassouneh, W; Hammer, DA; Chilkoti, A, Self-assembly of thermally responsive nanoparticles of a genetically encoded peptide polymer by drug conjugation., Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 52 no. 6 (February, 2013), pp. 1683-1687, WILEY-VCH Verlag , [doi] .
- Amiram, M; Luginbuhl, KM; Li, X; Feinglos, MN; Chilkoti, A, Injectable protease-operated depots of glucagon-like peptide-1 provide extended and tunable glucose control., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol. 110 no. 8 (February, 2013), pp. 2792-2797, National Acad Sciences , [doi] [abs].
- Hubbell, JA; Chilkoti, A, Chemistry. Nanomaterials for drug delivery., Science, vol. 337 no. 6092 (July, 2012), pp. 303-305, American Association for the Advancement of Science , [doi] .
- Amiram, M; Quiroz, FG; Callahan, DJ; Chilkoti, A, A highly parallel method for synthesizing DNA repeats enables the discovery of 'smart' protein polymers., Nature Materials, vol. 10 no. 2 (February, 2011), pp. 141-148, Nature Publishing Group , [doi] [abs].
- Gao, W; Liu, W; Christensen, T; Zalutsky, MR; Chilkoti, A, In situ growth of a PEG-like polymer from the C terminus of an intein fusion protein improves pharmacokinetics and tumor accumulation., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol. 107 no. 38 (September, 2010), pp. 16432-16437, National Acad Sciences , [doi] [abs].
- MacKay, JA; Chen, M; McDaniel, JR; Liu, W; Simnick, AJ; Chilkoti, A, Self-assembling chimeric polypeptide-doxorubicin conjugate nanoparticles that abolish tumours after a single injection, Nature Materials, vol. 8 no. 12 (December, 2009), pp. 993-999, Nature Publishing Group , [doi] [abs].
- Hucknall, A; Rangarajan, S; Chilkoti, A, In pursuit of zero: Polymer brushes that resist the adsorption of proteins, Advanced Materials, vol. 21 no. 23 (2009), pp. 2441-2446 [doi] [abs].