Marc A. Sommer, Associate Professor
|Office Location:||1153 CIEMAS|
|Office Phone:||(919) 684-7015|
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1995
- MS, Stanford University, 1990
- BS, Stanford University, 1989
- MS, Stanford University, 1990
- Research Interests:
Dr. Marc Sommer studies neuronal circuits of the brain. Research in his laboratory involves recording from single neurons and studying the effects of inactivating or stimulating well-defined brain areas. His goals are to understand how individual areas process signals and how multiple areas interact to cause cognition and behavior. Results from the work are guiding the design of vision-based models and robots.
- Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, 2005, 2006
Fellow Award for Research Excellence, National Institutes of Health, 1999
Member, International Neuropsychological Symposium, 2007
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, Neurosciences, National Science Foundation, 1990-1993
- BME 517.01, NEURONAL CONTROL OF MOVEMENT
- CIEMAS 1464, MW 03:05 PM-04:20 PM
- NEUROBIO 720C.01, SENSORY/MOTOR INTEGRATION
- BrynResMed 301, MWF 08:45 AM-11:15 AM
- Representative Publications
- Ashmore, Robin A. and Sommer, Marc A., Delay activity of saccade-related neurons in the caudal dentate nucleus of the macaque cerebellum, Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 109 (2013), pp. 2129-2144 [pdf], [doi] [abs].
- Smith, Matthew A. and Sommer, Marc A., Spatial and temporal scales of neuronal correlation in visual area V4, Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 33 (2013), pp. 5422-5432 [pdf], [doi] [abs].
- Mayo, J. Patrick and Sommer, Marc A., Neuronal correlates of visual time perception at brief timescales, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 110 no. 4 (2013), pp. 1506-1511 [pdf], [doi] [abs].
- Shin, SooYoon and Sommer, Marc A., Division of labor in frontal eye field neurons during presaccadic remapping of visual receptive fields, Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 108 (2012), pp. 2144-2159 [pdf], [doi] [abs].
- Middlebrooks, Paul G. and Sommer, Marc A., Neuronal correlates of metacognition in primate frontal cortex, Neuron, vol. 75 no. 3 (2012), pp. 517-530 [pdf], [doi] [abs].
- Crapse, Trinity B. and Sommer, Marc A., Frontal eye field neurons assess visual stability across saccades, Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 32 no. 8 (2012), pp. 2835–2845 [pdf], [doi] [abs].
- Shin, SooYoon and Sommer, Marc A., Activity of neurons in monkey globus pallidus during oculomotor behavior compared with that in substantia nigra pars reticulata, Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 103 no. 4 (2010), pp. 1874-1887 [pdf], [doi] [abs].
- Crapse, Trinity B. and Sommer, Marc A., Corollary discharge across the animal kingdom, Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 9 no. 8 (2008), pp. 587-600 [pdf], [doi] [abs].
- Sommer, Marc A. and Wurtz, Robert H., Influence of the thalamus on spatial visual processing in frontal cortex, Nature, vol. 444 no. 7117 (2006), pp. 374-377 [pdf], [doi] [abs].
- Sommer, Marc A. and Wurtz, Robert H., A pathway in primate brain for internal monitoring of movements, Science, vol. 296 no. 5572 (2002), pp. 1480-1482 [pdf], [doi] [abs].
- Selected Seminars
- New Faculty Lecture Series, 2012 [sommer]