April S. Brown, John Cocke Professor
Dr. April Brown recieved her B.S.E.E. from North Carolina State University in 1981, her M.S.E.E. and Ph.D. from Cornell University in 1984 and 1985, respectively. She worked at the Hughes Research Laboratories (now HRL LLC) in Malibu, Ca. from 1986-1993, and spent one year at the Army Research Office in the Physics Division (1988). She joined the Georgia Insitutute of Technology in 1994 as an Associate Professor and was promoted to Professor in 1999. She was Associate Dean in the College of Engineering from 1999-2001 and Executive Assistant to the President from 2001-2002. In addition, she was named Pettit Professor in Microelectronics in 2001. She joined Duke University as Professor and Chair in July 2002. She is currently Sr. Associate Dean for Research in the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke
|Office Location:||3573 Fitzpatrick Center|
|Office Phone:||(919) 660-5498|
- M.Sc., Cornell University, 1994
- D.Sc, Cornell University, 1985
- B.Sc., NC State University, 1981
- D.Sc, Cornell University, 1985
Nanomaterial manufacturing and characterization
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Nanoscale/microscale computing systems
Integrated Nanoscale Systems
- Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
Fellow, American Physical Society, 2011
1992 John Rappaport Award - best journal article, IEEE Electron Device Society, 1995
Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Electron Device Society, 1995
Fellow, IEEE, 1998
Georgia Tech Women's Leadership Award, Georgia Tech, 2001
IEEE MTT National Lecturer, IEEE, 1988-1989
John M. McMullen Fellowship, Cornell University, 1981-1982
Omicron Kappa Delta, 2000
Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for the development of InP-based materials for electronic devices, Hughes Research Laboratories, 1988
- ECE 545.01, FOUND NANOELEC & NANOPHOTONICS
- Hudson 224, TuTh 01:25 PM-02:40 PM
- ECE 590.11, ADVANCED TOPICS IN ECE
- TBA, W 11:45 AM-02:40 PM
- Recent Publications
- P. C. Wu and M. Losurdo and T. H. Kim and M. Giangregorio and G. Bruno and H. O. Everitt and A. S. Brown, Plasmonic Gallium Nanoparticles on Polar Semiconductors: Interplay between Nanoparticle Wetting, Localized Surface Plasmon Dynamics, and Interface Charge, Langmuir, vol. 25 no. 2 (January, 2009), pp. 924 -- 930 [abs].
- M. A. Garcia and M. Losurdo and S. D. Wolter and W. V. Lampert and J. Bonaventura and G. Bruno and C. Yi and A. S. Brown, Comparison of Functionalized III-V Semiconductor Response for Nitric Oxide, Sensor Letters, vol. 6 no. 4 (August, 2008), pp. 627 -- 634 [abs].
- M. Losurdo and M. M. Giangregorio and G. Bruno and T. H. Kim and S. Choi and A. S. Brown and G. Pettinari and M. Capizzi and A. Polimeni, Behavior of hydrogen in InN investigated in real time exploiting spectroscopic ellipsometry, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91 no. 8 (August, 2007) [abs].
- K. S. Mckay and F. P. Lu and J. Kim and C. H. Yi and A. S. Brown and A. R. Hawkins, Band discontinuity measurements of the wafer bonded InGaAs/Si heterojunction, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90 no. 22 (May, 2007) [abs].
- J. Uhlrich and M. Garcia and S. Wolter and A. S. Brown and T. F. Kuech, Interfacial chemistry and energy band line-up of pentacene with the GaN (0001) surface, Journal Of Crystal Growth, vol. 300 no. 1 (March, 2007), pp. 204 -- 211 [abs].
- April Brown is recieved her Ph.D. in 1985 from Cornell University. Her research is focused on the synthesis and design of nanostructures to microelectronic devices.