Chuan-Hua Chen, Alfred M. Hunt Faculty Scholar and Assistant Professor
|Office Location:||178 Hudson Hall|
|Office Phone:||(919) 660-5343|
- PhD, Stanford University, 2004
- MS, Stanford University, 2000
- BS, Peking University, 1998
- MS, Stanford University, 2000
- Research Interests: Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Physicochemical Hydrodynamics
Our research deals with experimental and theoretical investigations of small-scale physicochemical hydrodynamics, where transport and interfacial phenomena closely interact with each other. By manipulating surface tension actively and passively, e.g. using electric fields and surface structures, we are develop innovative solutions for applications ranging from bioanalytical assays to microelectronics cooling.
- Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
Hunt Faculty Scholar, Duke University, 2012
Young Faculty Award, DARPA, June, 2010
Powe Award, ORAU, May, 2009
CAREER Award, NSF, April, 2009
- ME 431L.001, HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- Teer 203, TuTh 11:45 AM-01:00 PM
- ME 431L.01L, HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- Teer 211, M 04:40 PM-05:55 PM
- ME 431L.02L, HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- Hudson 224, Tu 03:05 PM-04:20 PM
- ME 431L.03L, HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- Hudson 224, Tu 04:40 PM-05:55 PM
- ME 431L.04L, HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- Hudson 216, Th 03:05 PM-04:20 PM
- ME 431L.05L, HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- Hudson 222, Th 04:40 PM-05:55 PM
- Representative Publications
- J.B. Boreyko, Y. Zhao, C.H. Chen, Planar jumping-drop thermal diodes, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 99 no. 234105 (2011) (First Poster Prize, 2011 Gordon Research Conference on Microfluidics.) .
- D.B. Bober, C.H. Chen, Pulsating electrohydrodynamic cone-jets: from choked jet to oscillating cone, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 689 (2011), pp. 552-563 .
- Y. Zhao, D.B. Bober, C.H. Chen, Nonclogging resistive pulse sensing with electrohydrodynamic cone-jet bridges, Physical Review X, vol. 1 no. 021007 (2011) .
- Y. Zhao, F. Liu, C.H. Chen, Thermocapillary actuation of binary drops on solid surfaces, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 99 no. 104101 (2011) .
- J.B. Boreyko, C.H. Baker, C.R. Poley, C.H. Chen, Wetting and dewetting transitions on hierarchical superhydrophobic surfaces, Langmuir, vol. 27 (2011), pp. 7502-7509 .
- C.H. Chen, Electrohydrodynamic stability, in Electrokinetics and Electrohydrodynamics in Microsystems, edited by A. Ramos (2011), pp. 177-220, Springer .
- J.B. Boreyko and C.H. Chen, Self-propelled jumping drops on superhydrophobic surfaces, Physics of Fluids, vol. 22 no. 091110 (2010) (Gallery of Fluid Motion.) .
- J.B. Boreyko and C.H. Chen, Self-propelled dropwise condensate on superhydrophobic surfaces, Physical Review Letters, vol. 103 no. 184501 (2009) (Highlighted in Science; Featured on the Discovery Channel.) .
- J.B. Boreyko and C.H. Chen, Resorting superhydrophobicity of lotus leaves with vibration-induced dewetting, Physical Review Letters, vol. 103 no. 174502 (2009) (Cover of Physical Review Letters; Featured in The New York Times.) .
- J.G. Santiago, C.H. Chen, Special issue on fundamental principles and techniques in microfluidics, Lab on a Chip, vol. 9 no. 2423-2424 (2009) .
- Current Ph.D. Students