Sara E Benjamin Neelon
Associate Professor of Community and Family Medicine and Global Health, Director of DGHI Postdoctoral Fellowship Program and Faculty Fellow of the Center for Child and Family Policy
Sara Benjamin Neelon is a child nutritionist and assistant professor in the Department of Community and Family Medicine at the Duke University Medical Center and the Duke Global Health Institute. She came to Duke in 2009, after completing a PhD and MPH at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a postdoctoral fellowship at Harvard Medical School. Benjamin Neelon's research focuses on policy and environmental approaches to obesity prevention in vulnerable populations. Her studies target young children and women during pregnancy, with several focusing on child care and school environments. Members of the research team include public health professionals, those with extensive experience developing and testing interventions, and others with backgrounds in early childhood development. Her team conducts studies both domestically and globally.
Nutrition and Obesity
- Ph.D. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - 2006
Teaching Spring 2014:
- GLHLTH 670S.01, GLOBAL NUTRITION
Trent 124, Tu 04:40 PM-06:40 PM
Representative Publications (More Publications)
- SE Benjamin Neelon, E Oken, EM Taveras, SL Rifas-Shiman, MW Gillman (2012). Age of achievement of gross motor milestones in infancy and adiposity at age 3 years.. Maternal and child health journal, 16(5), 1015-20. [doi] [abs]
- SE Benjamin Neelon, A Vaughn, SC Ball, C McWilliams, DS Ward (2012). Nutrition practices and mealtime environments of North Carolina child care centers.. Childhood obesity (Print), 8(3), 216-23. [doi] [abs]
- Kim J, Kaste, L.M., Fadavi, S, Benjamin Neelon, S.E. Are state child care regulations meeting national oral health and nutritional standards? Pediatric Dentistry Jul-Aug 2012;34(4):317-324..
- Kim, J., Kaste, L.M., Fadavi,S., Benjamin Neelon, S.E. Are state child care regulations meeting the national oral health and nutrition standards? Pediatric Dentistry. 2012;34(4):317-324..
- Martinie A, Brouwer RJ, Benjamin Neelon SE. Mebane on the Move: A community-based initiative to reduce childhood obesity. North Carolina Medical Journal. 2012;73(5):382..
- SE Benjamin Neelon, ME Briley, American Dietetic Association (2011). Position of the American Dietetic Association: benchmarks for nutrition in child care.. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 111(4), 607-15. [doi] [abs]
- Larson N, Ward DS, Neelon SB, Story M. What role can child-care settings play in obesity prevention? A review of the evidence and call for research efforts. Journal of the American Dietetic Association Sep;111(9):1343-62..
- Larson, N.I., Ward, D.S., Neelon, S.B., Story, M. What Role Can Child-care Settings Play in Obesity Prevention? A Review of the Evidence and Call for Research Efforts. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2011 Sep;111(9):1343-62..
- SE Benjamin Neelon, KA Copeland, SC Ball, L Bradley, DS Ward (2010). Comparison of menus to actual foods and beverages served in North Carolina child-care centers.. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 110(12), 1890-5. [doi] [abs]
- AL Cradock, EM O'Donnell, SE Benjamin, E Walker, M Slining (2010). A review of state regulations to promote physical activity and safety on playgrounds in child care centers and family child care homes.. Journal of physical activity & health, 7 Suppl 1, S108-19. [abs]
- C McWilliams, SC Ball, SE Benjamin, D Hales, A Vaughn, DS Ward (2009). Best-practice guidelines for physical activity at child care.. Pediatrics, 124(6), 1650-9. [doi] [abs]
- SE Benjamin, SL Rifas-Shiman, EM Taveras, J Haines, J Finkelstein, K Kleinman, MW Gillman (2009). Early child care and adiposity at ages 1 and 3 years.. Pediatrics, 124(2), 555-62. [doi] [abs]
- SE Benjamin, EM Taveras, AL Cradock, EM Walker, MM Slining, MW Gillman (2009). State and regional variation in regulations related to feeding infants in child care.. Pediatrics, 124(1), e104-11. [doi] [abs]
- SE Benjamin, KA Copeland, A Cradock, B Neelon, E Walker, MM Slining, MW Gillman (2009). Menus in child care: a comparison of state regulations with national standards.. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 109(1), 109-15. [doi] [abs]
- SE Benjamin, J Haines, SC Ball, DS Ward (2008). Improving nutrition and physical activity in child care: what parents recommend.. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 108(11), 1907-11. [doi] [abs]
- DS Ward, SE Benjamin, AS Ammerman, SC Ball, BH Neelon, SI Bangdiwala (2008). Nutrition and physical activity in child care: results from an environmental intervention.. American journal of preventive medicine, 35(4), 352-6. [doi] [abs]
- SE Benjamin, DF Tate, SI Bangdiwala, BH Neelon, AS Ammerman, JM Dodds, DS Ward (2008). Preparing Child Care Health Consultants to address childhood overweight: a randomized controlled trial comparing web to in-person training.. Maternal and child health journal, 12(5), 662-9. [doi] [abs]
- SC Ball, SE Benjamin, DS Ward (2008). Dietary intakes in North Carolina child-care centers: are children meeting current recommendations?. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 108(4), 718-21. [doi] [abs]
- JK Bower, DP Hales, DF Tate, DA Rubin, SE Benjamin, DS Ward (2008). The childcare environment and children's physical activity.. American journal of preventive medicine, 34(1), 23-9. [doi] [abs]
- SE Benjamin, A Cradock, EM Walker, M Slining, MW Gillman (2008). Obesity prevention in child care: a review of U.S. state regulations.. BMC public health, 8, 188. [doi] [abs]
- BA Laraia, JM Dodds, S Benjamin, SJ Jones, ET Carbone (2008). Can distance education prepare future public health nutritionists? A case study.. Journal of nutrition education and behavior, 40(1), 34-8. [doi] [abs]
- D Ward, D Hales, K Haverly, J Marks, S Benjamin, S Ball, S Trost (2008). An instrument to assess the obesogenic environment of child care centers.. American journal of health behavior, 32(4), 380-6. [doi] [abs]
- AS Ammerman, DS Ward, SE Benjamin, SC Ball, JK Sommers, M Molloy, JM Dodds (2007). An intervention to promote healthy weight: Nutrition and Physical Activity Self-Assessment for Child Care (NAP SACC) theory and design.. Preventing chronic disease, 4(3), A67. [abs]
- SC Ball, SE Benjamin, DS Ward (2007). Development and reliability of an observation method to assess food intake of young children in child care.. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 107(4), 656-61. [doi] [abs]
- SE Benjamin, A Ammerman, J Sommers, J Dodds, B Neelon, DS Ward (2007). Nutrition and physical activity self-assessment for child care (NAP SACC): results from a pilot intervention.. Journal of nutrition education and behavior, 39(3), 142-9. [doi] [abs]
- SE Benjamin, B Neelon, SC Ball, SI Bangdiwala, AS Ammerman, DS Ward (2007). Reliability and validity of a nutrition and physical activity environmental self-assessment for child care.. The international journal of behavioral nutrition and physical activity, 4, 29. [doi] [abs]
- SS Girdler, CA Pedersen, PA Straneva, J Leserman, CL Stanwyck, S Benjamin, KC Light (1998). Dysregulation of cardiovascular and neuroendocrine responses to stress in premenstrual dysphoric disorder.. Psychiatry research, 81(2), 163-78. [abs]
Sara E Benjamin Neelon
Office: 2200 West Main Street, Room 625
Phone: (919) 681-6920
2200 West Main Street, Room 625 DUMC Box 104006 Durham, NC 27710