for a printer-ready
version, or download
as a PDF file.
Dennis K. Stanley
Box 90103, Durham, NC 27708-0103
- Summer School The American Academy in Rome, 1959
- A.B. with High Honors University of Florida, 1957
Professional Experience / Employment History
Professor of Classical Studies, 1994-2002
Associate Professor, 1968-93
Assistant Professor, 1964-68
Instructor of Greek, 1961-64
ICCS in Rome
Faculty during initial term, 1965
The Bryn Mawr School
Instructor of Greek, 1959-60
The Johns Hopkins University
Instructor in McCoy College, 1959
Junior Instructor in Classics, 1958-59
- Stanley, DK. "De-intensifying Moreland-Fleischer." The New England Classical Newsletter .
- Stanley, DK. "Lexicography of Arts and Crafts." American Speech vol. 59.4 358-361.
- Stanley, DK. "The Role of Aphrodite in Sappho, Fr. 1." Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies vol. 17 305-321.
- Stanley, DK. "A New Caryatid Chalice." Archaeological News vol. 3 21-27.
- Stanley, DK. "An Instructive Fake at Duke." Archaeological News vol. 2 21-27.
- Stanley, DK. "An Archaic Cypriote Amphora at Duke University." Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies vol. 9 355-358.
- Stanley, DK. "Irony and Foreshadowing in Aeneid I, 462." American Journal of Philology vol. 86 267-277.
- Stanley, DK. "The Duke Collections and the Program in Classical Studies." Library Notes no. 38, 10-14.
- Stanley, DK. "Rome, Eros, and the Versus Romae." Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies vol. 4 241-249.
- Stanley, DK. "Notes on an Athenian Prytany Decree." Notes on an Athenian Prytany Decree vol. 82 425-427.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Nominated for the Goodwin Award of Merit for The Shield of Homer, American Philological Association, 1994
- Summer Grant, Cooperative Program in the Humanities, 1966
- Samuel Fels Fellowship, The Johns Hopkins University, 1960-61
- Woodrow Wilson Fellowship, The Johns Hopkins University, 1957-58
Organizer, Conference in Greek Vase-Painting in connection with exhibit of Duke Classical Collection, January 28, 1995
- Lecture on Duke Classical Collection, to DUMA docents (Fall), pottery classes from Durham Claymakers (Summer) and Duke Crafts Center, and to the Focus Program (Fall), 2003
- The Odyssey in the Iliad, Homeric conference at Washington University, St. Louis, October 1990
- Narrative Structure in the Iliad, Duke Departmental Colloquim, 1981
- Lecture on Duke Classical Collection for Symposium on Classical Art in Southern Collections, Classical Association of the Middle West and South, 1977
- Euripides' Alcestis: Tragedy on Holiday?, Duke Departmental Colloquim, 1976
- The Architectural Development of the Greek Theatre, Emory and Henry College Humanities Series, 1975
- The Romans as Art Collectors, Erasmus Club, 1969
- A History of Classics at Duke, Symposium on Classical Studies in North Carolina Colleges and Universities, North Carolina Classical Association, 1968
- A New Triptolemos-Krater by Polygnotos, North Carolina Classical Association, 1964
- Aeneid I, 462, Yet Again, North Carolina Classical Association, 1963
- Library Advisory Board, Member, 2002-present
- Arts and Sciences Council, Member, 2002-2003
- Provost's Museum Advisory Commitee, Member, 2001-present
- Duke Classical Collection, Curator, 1964-present
The two new pieces we purchased last spring
(thanks to the department’s generosity) have
been fine additions to the whole, and will
repay further study.
- Arts and Sciences Research Council, Member, 1994-2002
- Undergraduate Judicial Board, Member, 1999-2001
- Provost's Gothic Bookshop Committee, Member, 1992-2000
- Bryan Center Stores Renovation and Expansion Project, Architect's consultant, Fall 1999
- Elections Committee, Phi Beta Kappa, 1969-84
- Social Chairman, Duke Chapter Phi Beta Kappa, 1968-70
- Roman Studies, Assistant Editor, 1965-70
- Departmental Curriculum Committee, Member, 2002-present
- Duke Classical Studies, Departmental Director of Undergraduate Studies, 1968-70, 1979-85, 2002-present
- Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Monographs, Regular referee, 2001-present
- Three-day retreat for third-year leaders in the Gemeinschaft program of the Moravian Church in America, Southern Province, Conductor, June 2001
- Homeric studies for Johns Hopkins Press, Reader/advisor, 1999
I was asked by the Johns Hopkins
University Press to provide a final review of a
new translation of the Odyssey by the American
poet Edward McCrorie (my remarks on an earlier
version were described as "critical in the re-
working of the manuscript"). The book will appear
in Spring 2004 with (by permission) a blurb from
- Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies, Senior Editor, 1985-1999; I continue to referee papers
- Tenure/promotion committee for Northwestern University, Member, 1998
- Tenure/promotion committee for Washington University, Advisor, 1998
- Homeric studies for Oxford University Press , Princeton University Press, Reader/advisor, 1998
- Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Monographs, Senior Editor, 1994
- Installation of objects from Duke Classical Collection in St. John’s Museum, Walking tour guide, June 6, 1993
- Roman Studies, Editor, 1980-84
- American Institute of Archaeology, Vice-President of local chapter, 1970
- North Carolina Classical Association, Vice President, 1965-66
Last modified: 2021/05/15