for a printer-ready
version, or download
as a PDF file.
233 Allen Building, Durham, NC 27708-0103
(919) 684-3244 (office)
- Ph.D. La Sapienza University of Rome (Italy), 1993
Areas of Research
Digital knowledge of the past, Classical Archaeology, Iron Age, Etruscology, Cybernetics, Neuro-Art, Simulations, Memetics
- Forte, M; Danelon, N; Johnston, D; McKusker, K; Newton, E; Morelli, G; Catanzariti, G. "Vulci 3000: A digital challenge for the interpretation of Etruscan and Roman cities." Digital Cities Between History and Archaeology. Edited
by Forte, M; Murteira, H. Oxford University Press, USA 13-36.
- Zhao, Y; Forte, M; Kopper, R. "VR Touch Museum." 25th Ieee Conference on Virtual Reality and 3d User Interfaces, Vr 2018 Proceedings IEEE 741-742. [doi]
- Forte, M; Pescarin, S. "Behaviours, interactions and affordance in virtual archaeology." Paradata and Transparency in Virtual Heritage 189-202. [doi]
- Seaman, W. "Emergent Relationality System / The Insight Engine." Digital Methods and Remote Sensing in Archaeology: Archaeology in the Age of Sensing. Edited
by Forte, M; Campana, S. .
- Forte, M. "Virtual worlds, Virtual Heritage and Immersive Reality: the case of the Daming Palace at Xi’an (China)." Handbook on the Economics of Cultural Heritage. Edited
by Rizzo, R; Mignosa, A. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham 499-507.
- Forte, M; Dell Unto, N; Haddow, S; Lercari, N. "3D Documentation at Çatalhöyük: New Perspectives for Digital Archaeology." Proceedings of Digital Heritage 2013, Marseille, 2013, IEEE IEEE .
- Lercari, N; Forte, M; Zielinski, D; Kopper, RL; R,. "Virtual reconstruction and immersive visualization of a Neolithic building." In Proceedings of Digital Heritage 2013, Marseille, 2013, Ieee.In Proceedings of Digital Heritage 2013, Marseille, 2013, IEEE. IEEE .
- Forte, M; Issavi, J; Unto, ND; Lercari, N. "Burials at Neolithic Çatalhöyük." . (Poster presented at the SAA conference (Society for
American Archaeology, Honolulu, Hawaii. April 3 - April 7,
- Forte, M. "Cyberarchaelogy: a Post-Virtual Perspective." Humanities and the Digital. A Visioning Statement. Edited
by Golberg, DT; Svensson, P. M I T PRESS .
- Forte, M. "Virtual Reality, Cyberarchaeology, Teleimmersive Archaeology." Campana S., Remondino F., 3D surveying and modeling in archaeology and cultural heritage. Theory and best practices BAR ARCHAEOPRESS .
- Forte, M. "Immersive 3D applications in archaeology." Oxford Companion to Archaeology. Edited
by Silberman, NA. Oxford University Press .
- Forte, M. "Virtual Worlds." Oxford Companion to Archaeology. Edited
by Silberman, NA. Oxford University Press .
- Forte, M; Pescarin, S. "Behaviours, interactions and affordance in virtual archaeology." Paradata and Transparency in Virtual Heritage 189-201.
- Forte, M; Lercari, N; Onsurez, L; Issavi, J; Prather, E. "The Fort Ross Virtual Warehouse Project: A serious game for research and education." Proceedings of the 2012 18th International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, Vsmm 2012: Virtual Systems in the Information Society IEEE 315-322. [doi]
- Forte, M; Kurillo, G; Matlock, T. "Teleimmersive archaeology: Simulation and cognitive impact." Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Including Subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics) vol. 6436 LNCS Springer Berlin Heidelberg 422-431. [doi]
- Forte, M; Kurillo, G. "Cyberarchaeology: Experimenting with teleimmersive archaeology." 2010 16th International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, Vsmm 2010 IEEE 155-162. [doi]
- Kurillo, G; Forte, M; Bajcsy, R. "Teleimmersive 3D collaborative environment for cyberarchaeology." 2010 Ieee Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops, Cvprw 2010 IEEE 23-28. [doi]
- Pietroni, E; Rufa, C; Forte, M. "Embodied virtual communities: A new opportunity for the research in the field of cultural heritage." International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences Isprs Archives vol. 38 no. 5W1, .
- Pietroni, E; Forte, M. "A virtual collaborative environment for archaeology through multi-user domain in the web." International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences Isprs Archives vol. 36 no. 5/C53, .
- Lercari, N; Mortara, M; Forte, M. "Unveiling California history through serious games: Fort Ross Virtual Warehouse." Proceedings of First International Games and Learning Alliance, Paris, 2013 SPRINGER .
- Calori, L; Camporesi, C; Pescarin, S; Forte, M; Guidazzoli, A. "Openheritage: An integrated approach to web 3d publication of virtual landscapes." International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences Isprs Archives vol. 36 no. 5/W17, .
- Forte, M; Pietroni, E; Rufa, C; Bizzarro, A; Tilia, A; Tilia, S. "DVR-Pompei: A 3D Information System for the House of the Vettii in OpenGL Environment." Proceedings Vast 2001 Virtual Reality, Archeology, and Cultural Heritage 307-314.
- Forte, M; Pietroni, E; Rufa, C; Bizzarro, A; Tilia, A; Tilia, S. "DVR-Pompei project: Reconstructions of archaeological contexts in Desktop-OpenGL environments." Proceedings 7th International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, Vsmm 2001 IEEE Comput. Soc 77-85. [doi]
- Lercari, N; Shiferaw, E; Forte, M; Kopper, R. Immersive Visualization and Curation of Archaeological Heritage Data: Çatalhöyük and the Dig@IT App. Journal of Archaeological Method and Theory vol. 25 no. 2, Springer Nature : 368-392. [doi]
- Berggren, Å; Dell’Unto, N; Forte, M; Haddow, S; Hodder, I; Issavi, J; Lercari, N; Mazzucato, C; Mickel, A; Taylor, JS. Revisiting reflexive archaeology at Çatalhöyük: integrating digital and 3D technologies at the trowel's edge. Antiquity vol. 89 no. 344, Antiquity Publications : 433-448. [doi]
- Forte, M. 3D Archaeology at Çatalhöyük. 3d Imaging in Mediterranean/European Archaeology . [available here]
- Lercari, N; Forte, M; Onsurez, L; Schultz, J. Multimodal reconstruction of landscape in serious games for heritage: An insight on the creation of Fort Ross Virtual Warehouse serious game. Proceedings of the Digitalheritage 2013 Federating the 19th Int'L Vsmm, 10th Eurographics Gch, and 2nd Unesco Memory of the World Conferences, Plus Special Sessions Fromcaa, Arqueologica 2.0 Et Al. vol. 2 IEEE : 231-238. [doi]
- Forte, M. 3D Archaeology at Catalhoyuk. Journal of Eastern Mediterranean Archaeology and Heritage Studies. Edited
by Killebrew, AE; Scham, SA. .
- Kurillo, G; Forte, M. Telearch - Integrated visual simulation environment for collaborative virtual archaeology. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry: International Scientific Journal vol. 12 no. 1, : 11-20.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Thomas Langford Lectureship Award for the academic year 2013-14, Duke University, October, 2013
- Bass Chair for teaching excellence, Duke University, Duke University, April, 2013
- Special Award, 2012
- 2010 Best Paper Award, 2010
- Best Paper Award, VSMM 2008 Cyprus, 2008
- E-content Award Italy, 2008
- E-content Award Italy, 2008
- Tartessos Prize on Virtual Archaeology, Spanish Society of Virtual Archaeology (SEAV), 2008-2009
- E-content Award, 2005
- Best paper award for the cultural merit at the world conference “Creative and digital culture”, VSMM 2002 Gyeongju, South Korea, 2002
Space2Place, Workshop on Remote Sensing in Archaeology : Space2Place, Digital Heritage 2013, Space2Place, Workshop on Remote Sensing in Archaeology : Space2Place, Digital Heritage 2013. October 28, 2013 - November 2, 2013, October 28, 2013 - November 02, 2013
1st International Workshop on Virtual Archaeology, Museums and Cultural Tourism, 1st International Workshop on Virtual Archaeology, Museums and Cultural Tourism. September 25, 2013 - September 28, 2013, September 25, 2013 - September 28, 2013
- Historic Urban Landscapes, Paris-UNESCO, December 13, 2013
- New Horizons Information Technology connecting Culture, Community, Time and Place, December 12, 2013
- Envisioning 3D Archaeological Excavation: the case of Çatalhöyük., SAO PAOLO, Brasil, November 24, 2013
- Archéologie et Philologie d'Orient et d'Occident, October 18, 2013
- Virtual Archaeology, Museums and Cultural Tourism, September 25, 2013
- High Tech Heritage, Umass, University of Massachusetts, May 03, 2013
- VSMM 2012, September 2-5, 2012 [available here]
- “High Tech Heritage, UMASS University, Massachussett, May 2, 2012
Last modified: 2021/06/22