Publications of Elizabeth L. GarciaOther Faculty Listings: Faculty Alphabetically | By Rank | By Area
Peer-reviewed journal articles published
- Ben-Eliyahu, A., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L.. "Extending self-regulated learning to include self-regulated emotion strategies.." Motivation & Emotion (in press).
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Patall, E. A., & Messersmith, E. E.. "Antecedents and consequences of situational interest." British Journal of Educational Psychology (in press).
- O’Keefe, P. A., Ben-Eliyahu, A., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L. "Shaping achievement goal orientations in a mastery-structured environment: An examination of concomitant changes in related contingencies of self-worth and interest." Motivation & Emotion (in press).
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Middleton, M. J., Ciani, K. D., Easter, M. A., O’Keefe, P. A, & Zusho, A.. "The strength of the relation between performance-approach and performance-avoidance goal orientations: Theoretical, methodological, and instructional implications." Educational Psychologist 47 (2012): 281-301.
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Pugh, K., Koskey, K L. K., & Stewart, V. "Developing conceptual understanding in high school biology: The role of interest, efficacy, and prior knowledge." Journal of Experimental Education 80 (2012): 45-68.
- Rogat, T. K. & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L. "Socially shared regulation in collaborative groups: An analysis of the interplay between quality of social regulation and group processes." Cognition & Instruction 29 (2011): 375-415.
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., & Pekrun, R.. "Students' emotions and academic engagement: Introduction to the special issue." Contemporary Educational Psychology 36 (2011): 1-3.
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Rogat, T. K., & Koskey, K. L. K.. "Affect and engagement during small group instruction." Contemporary Educational Psychology 36 (2011): 13-24.
- Snyder, K.E., Nietfeld, J. L., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L. "Giftedness and metacognition: A short-term longitudinal investigation of metacognitive monitoring in the classroom." Gifted Child Quarterly 55 (2011): 181-193.
- Pugh, K. J., Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Koskey, K. L. K., Stewart, V. C., Manzey, C.. "Teaching for transformative experiences and conceptual change: A case study and evaluation of a high school biology teacher’s experience." Cognition and Instruction 28 (2010): 273-316.
- Pugh, K. J., Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Koskey, K. L. K., Stewart, V. C., & Manzey, C. "Motivation, learning, and transformative experience: A study of deep engagement in science." Science Education 94 (2010): 1-28.
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Durik, A. M., Conley, A. M., Barron, K. E., Tauer, J. M., Karabenick, S. A., & Harackiewicz, J. M. "Measuring situational interest in academic domains." Educational and Psychological Measurement 70 (2010): 647-671.
- Tyson, D. F., Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., & Hill, N. E. "Regulating debilitating emotions in the context of performance: Achievement goal orientations, achievement-elicited emotions, and socialization contexts." Human Development 52 (2009): 329-356.
- Harackiewicz, J. M., Durik, A. M., Barron, K. E., Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., & Tauer, J. M. "The role of achievement goals in the development of interest: Reciprocal relations between achievement goals, interest and performance." Journal of Educational Psychology 100 (2008): 105-122.
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Tyson, D.F., & Patall, E. A. "When are achievement goal orientations beneficial for academic achievement? A closer look at moderating factors." International Review of Social Psychology 21 (2008): 19-70.
- Linnenbrink, E.A. "Emotion research in education: Theoretical and methodological perspectives on the integration of affect, motivation, and cognition." Educational Psychology Review 18 (2006): 307-314. [abs]
- Harackiewicz, J.M., & Linnenbrink, E.A. "Multiple achievement goals and multiple pathways for learning: The agenda and impact of Paul R. Pintrich." Educational Psychologist 40 (2005): 75-84.
- Linnenbrink, E.A.. "The dilemma of performance-approach goals: The use of multiple goal contexts to promote students’ motivation and learning." Journal of Educational Psychology 97 (2005): 197-213.
- Linnenbrink, E. A. & Pintrich, P.R.. "The role of self-efficacy beliefs in student engagement and learning in the classroom." Reading and Writing Quarterly 19 (2003): 119-137.
- Linnenbrink, E. A. & Pintrich, P.R.. "Achievement goal theory and affect: An asymmetrical bidirectional model." Educational Psychologist 37 (2002): 69-78.
- Linnenbrink, E. A. & Pintrich, P.R.. "Motivation as an enabler for academic success." School Psychology Review 31 (2002): 313-327.
- E.A. Linnenbrink. "The role of goals and affect in working memory functioning." Learning and Individual Differences 11 (1999): 213-230.
- Pekrun, R., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L. (Eds.). Handbook of Emotions and Education. Routledge, in preparation.
- Pekrun, R., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L. "Academic emotions and student engagement." The handbook of research on student engagement. Ed. S. L. Christenson, A. L. Reschly, & C. Wylie. Springer, 2012
- Rogat, T. K., Linnenbrink-Garcia, L. & DiDonato, N. "Motivation in collaborative groups." International handbook of collaborative learning. Ed. C. Hmelo-Silver, A. O’Donnell, C. Chan, & C. Chinn. Taylor & Francis, in press
- Rogat, T. K., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L. "Understanding quality variation in socially shared regulation: A focus on methodology." Interpersonal regulation of learning and motivation: Methodological advances. Ed. M. Vauras & S. Volet,. Taylor & Francis, 2012
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Maehr, M. L., & Pintrich, P. R.. "Motivation and achievement.." MENC handbook of research on music learning. Ed. R. Colwell & P. R. Webster. 1Oxford University Press, 2011
- Linnenbrink, E. A., & Fredricks, J. A. "Developmental perspectives on achievement motivation: Personal and contextual influences." Handbook of Motivation Science: The Social Psychological Perspective. Ed. J. Y. Shah & W. L. Gardner. New York: Guilford, 2008
- Linnenbrink, E.A.. "The role of affect in student learning: A multi-dimensional approach to considering the interaction of affect, motivation, and engagement." Emotions in Education. Ed. P. Schutz & R. Pekrun. Academic Press, 2007
- Kempler, T. M., & Linnenbrink, E. A.. "Helping behaviors in collaborative groups in math: A descriptive analysis." Help seeking in academic settings: Goals, groups, and contexts. Ed. S. Karabenick & R. Newman. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2006
- Linnenbrink, E.A. "Person and context: Theoretical and practical concerns in achievement goal theory." Advances in motivation and achievement: Motivating students, improving schools: The legacy of Carol Midgley. Ed. P.R. Pintrich; M.L. Maehr. 13Greenwich, CT: Elsevier - JAI, 2004
- Linnenbrink, E.A. & Pintrich, P.R. "Role of affect in cognitive processing in academic contexts." Motivation, emotion, and cognition: Integrative perspectives on intellectual functioning and development. Ed. D.Y. Dai; J. Sternberg. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2004
- Linnenbrink, E. A. & Pintrich, P.R. "Achievement goals and intentional conceptual change." Intentional conceptual change. Ed. G. M. Sinatra; P. R. Pintrich. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2003
- Anderman, L. H., Patrick, H., Hruda, L. Z., & Linnenbrink, E. A. "Observing classroom goal structures to clarify and expand goal theory." Goals, goal structures, and patterns of adaptive learning. Ed. C. Midgley. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2002
- Linnenbrink, E. A. & Pintrich, P.R. "The role of motivational beliefs in conceptual change." Reconsidering conceptual change: Issues in theory and practice. Ed. M. Limon; L. Mason. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002
- Maehr, M. L., Pintrich, P. R., & Linnenbrink, E. A. "Motivation and achievement." The new handbook of research on music teaching and learning. Ed. R. Colwell; C. Richardson. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002
- E.A. Linnenbrink; P.R. Pintrich. "Multiple goals, multiple contexts: The dynamic interplay between personal goals and contextual goal stresses." Motivation in learning contexts: Theoretical advances and methodological implications. Ed. S. Volet; S. Järvelä. The Netherlands: Pergamon Press, 2001
- Shi, K., Wang, P., Wang, W., Zuo, Y., Liu, D., Maehr, M. L., Mu, X., Linnenbrink, E. A., & Hruda, L. Z.. "Goals and motivation of Chinese students – Testing the adaptive learning model." Student motivation: The culture and context of learning. Ed. F. Salili, C. Chiu, & Y. Hong. New York: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001
- E.A. Linnenbrink; P.R. Pintrich. "Multiple pathways to learning and achievement: The role of goal orientation in fostering adaptive motivation, affect, and cognition." Intrinsic and extrinsic motivation: The search for optimal motivation and performance. Ed. C. Sanson; J.M. Harackiewicz. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2000
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., & Pekrun, R.. Students' emotions and academic engagement. Contemporary Educational Psychology 36 (2011).
Peer-reviewed journal articles under review
- Pugh, K., Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Phillips, M., & Perez, T. "Supporting the development of transformative experience and interest.." Interest, the self, and K-16 mathematics and science learning (under review).
- Snyder, K. E., Malin, J., Dent., A., & Linnenbrink-Garcia. "The message matters: The role of implicit beliefs about giftedness and failure experiences in academic self-handicapping." Journal of Educational Psychology (revise & resubmit).
- O'Keefe, P. A., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L.. "The role of interest in effective and efficient goal pursuit." Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin (under review).
- Pugh, K., Koskey, K. L. K., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L.. "High school biology students’ transfer of the concept of natural selection: A mixed methods approach." Journal of Biological Education (revise & resubmit).
- Ben-Eliyahu, A., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L.. "Achievement goal orientations, emotions, and engagement: A focus on the varying role of emotions in favorite and least-favorite classes." Journal of Educational Psychology (under review).
- Zusho, A., Linnnenbrink-Garcia, L., & Rogat, T. K.. "Reevaluating the evidence regarding achievement goal schemas in the classroom." Educational Psychologist (revise & resubmit).
- Snyder, K. E., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L.. "A developmental, person-oriented approach to exploring multiple motivational pathways in gifted underachievement." Educational Psychologist (revise & resubmit).
- Kempler, T. M., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L.. "Exploring self-regulation in group contexts.." Proceedings of the 8th Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning Conference International Society of the Learning Sciences. (2007): 357-360.