Associate Professor of the Practice Emerita and Gender, Sexuality & Feminist StudiesEducation:
- Ph.D. Purdue University 1981
- Doctor of Philosophy in Sociology Purdue University 1981
- Master of Arts in Sociology, 1978
- Bachelor of Science, Major in Sociology, Minors in History and Anthropology, Ball State University 1975
- Research Interests:
My major interests in sociology include gender, sexuality, and inequality. My past research has focused on a diverse range of topics associated with gender inequality in work and family roles including an analysis of the structural determinants of gender composition of university and college faculties, a longitudinal examination of educational decision-making and its relationship to eventual marriage and fertility rates of young women in Cairo, Egypt (with John Gulick, Carolina Population Center), and a qualitative analysis of the work and family commitment of men and women managers (with Catherine Zimmer,University of North Carolina). My current work focuses on pedagogy and the impact of social inequality on the teaching and learning process. I am also beginning a study of the dramatic changes in the state sex education curriculum made by the North Carolina Legislature in the mid-1990's. I coordinate the sociology undergraduate internship program and teach SOC 118, Sex, Gender, and Society, SOC 149, Sexuality and Society, SOC 129, Gender, Work, and Organizations, SOC 199S, Sociology Internship Seminar and occasionally SOC 10D, Introduction to Sociology. In my leisure time, I enjoy watching women's and men's college basketball, going to movies, and reading mystery novels.
Recent Publications (More Publications)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Bach, RL. "Review of 'The Gender Knot: Rethinking Our Patriarchal Legacy'." Contemporary Sociology 27 (November,
- Bach, R; Weinzimmer, J. "Exploring the Benefits of Community-based Research in a Sociology of Sexualities Course." Teaching Sociology 39:1 (January,
2011): 57-72. [doi] [abs]
- with Julianne Weinzimmer. "Exploring the Benefits of Community-Based Research in a Sociology of Sexualities Course." Teaching Sociology 39 (2010): 57-72. [abs]
- Bach, R. "Team case study of a community organization." Sociology Through Active Learning: Student Exercises II (January,
2009): 131-134. [doi] [abs]
- Bach, RL. "'Comparable Worth' and 'Sex Education'." Encyclopedia of the Culture Wars (2008).