|Office Location:|| 114 Buchanan Blvd, Smith Warehouse, Bay 9, A287c, Durham, NC 27708|
|Office Phone:|| (919) 684-2473 |
|Email Address: ||
|Web Page: || http://www.richardjpowell.com|
- Ph.D. Yale University 1988
- M.Phil. Yale University 1984
- M.A. Yale University 1982
- M.F.A. Howard University 1977
- B.A. Morehouse College 1975
Art of the United States
- Research Interests:
Richard J. Powell received his Ph.D. from Yale University. His research and teaching interests lie in American art, African American art, and theories of race and representation in the African diaspora. He is also interested in the media arts and conceptualizations of the "folk" in world art and culture. His books include Homecoming: The Art and Life of William H. Johnson and Black Art: A Cultural History.
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Katie Jentleson
- Rebecca Keegan
- Alfredo Rivera
- Representative Publications
- Powell, RJ, Linguists, Poets, and ‘Others’ on African American Art,
American Art, vol. 17
- Powell, RJ, Black Art: A Cultural History
(2002), London: Thames and Hudson, Ltd. (Revised & expanded edition of Black Art & Culture in the 20th Century, 1997; Spanish translation: Arte y Cultura Negros en el Siglo XX, Barcelona: Ediciones Destino, S.A., 1998.).
- Powell, RJ, Appreciation. Jacob Lawrence: Keep on Movin’,
American Art, vol. 15 no. 1
pp. 90-93 , [doi].
- Powell, RJ, To Be Real,
in The Barkley L. Hendricks Experience
pp. 13-15, New London, Connecticut: Lyman Allyn.
- Powell, RJ, Sartor Africanus,
in Dandies: Fashion and Finesse in Art and Culture, edited by Fillin-Yeh, S
pp. 217-242, New York: New York University Press.