Associate Professor of Art and Art History and Gender, Sexuality & Feminist Studies and Director of Graduate Studies
|Office Location:|| 114 S. Buchanan Blvd., Smith Warehouse Bay 9, Room A289, Durham, NC 27708|
|Office Phone:|| (919) 684-2487 |
|Email Address: ||
|Web Page: || http://www.duke.edu/womstud/~sabe|
- Office Hours:
- Friday 2:00–3:00 and by appointment
- Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley 1989
- M.A. University of California at Berkeley 1984
- B.A. University of California at Berkeley 1981
Theory & Criticism
Representative Publications (More Publications)
- Research Interests: Chinese Art, Archaeology, Chinese Film, Critical Theory
Stanley Abe received his Ph.D. from the University of
California, Berkeley. His field of research is Chinese
Buddhist art. He is now developing a critical study of
the construction of a history of Buddhist art in China,
Japan, Europe, and the United States during the
nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. This study
pays special attention to the collecting, sale, and
movement of objects, museum practices, aesthetic
theory, and forms of knowledge organized by the
disciplines of art history, ethnography,
and religious studies in the context of colonialism and
an international art market.
- Abe, S. Ordinary Images. University of Chicago Press,
- Abe, S. A Freer Stela Reconsidered. Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Occasional Paper,
- "The Modern Moment of Chinese Sculpture." Misul Charyo 美術資料 (Fine Art Materials) 82 (December,
December, 2012): 63-82.
- Abe, S. "Rockefeller Home Decorating and Objects from China." Collecting China: The World, China, and a Short History of Collecting (2011): 107–23-107–23.
- Abe, S. "Locating World Art." The Migrant’s Time: Rethinking Art History and Diaspora (2011): 130-45.
- "China, The Buddha, and Modern Aestheticism." Re-Imagining Asia: A Thousand Years of Separation (2008): 124-133.
- Abe, S. "To Avoid the Inscrutable: Abstract Expressionism and the "Oriental Mode"." Discrepant Abstraction (2006): 52-73.