Professor of Classical Studies and Gender, Sexuality & Feminist Studies
- Office Hours:
Tu 4:30 - 5:30 PM; W 11:30-12:30 PM; or by appointment
Office Location: Allen 231
- Ph.D. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor 1980
- Ph.D. in Classical Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 1980
- Michigan Assoc., American Academy, Rome, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 1977
- M.A. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor 1975
- M.A. in Classical Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 1975
- Laurea, voto ottimo, in Etruscologiá Universitá per Stranieri, Perugia, Italy 1974
- B.A. Stanford University 1973
- Certificato in Corso Medio di Italiano, Universitá per Stranieri, Perugia, Italy 1973
- Research Interests: Roman history, especially the social and political history of the empire; topography of Rome; Rome's northern frontiers; Roman women; Latin historiography
Article on representations of women and families on Roman-Pannonian tombstones, Topography of the Via Flaminia in Rome
Roman history, especially the social and political history of the empire; topography of Rome; Rome's northern frontiers; Roman women; Latin historiography
Representative Publications (More Publications)
- Curriculum Vitae
- with Boatwright, MT; Gargola, DJ; Lenski, N; Talbert, RJA. The Romans From Village to Empire: A History of Rome from Earliest Times to the End of the Western Empire. Oxford University Press,
2011: 624 pages. (2nd, expanded edition. Czech translation
published 12/12) [available here] [abs]
- Boatwright, MT. "The Elogia of the Volusii Saturnini at Lucus Feroniae, and the Education of their Domestic Service." L’écriture dans la maison romaine (2012): 99-112. [available here]
- Boatwright, MT. "Antonine Rome: Security in the Homeland." The Emperor and Rome: Space, Representation and Ritual (2010): 169-197.
- Boatwright, MT. Hadrian and the Cities of the Roman Empire. Princeton University Press,
- Boatwright, MT. "The City Gate of Plancia Magna in Perge." Roman Art in Context: An Anthology (1993): 189-207.
- Boatwright, MT. Hadrian and the City of Rome. Princeton University Press,
- Boatwright, MT. "Trajan Outside Rome: Buildings and Sculptural Commissions in Italian and Provincial Cities." Sage and Emperor (2003): 259-277.
- Boatwright, MT. "Faustina the Younger, Mater Castrorum." (2003): 249-68.
- Boatwright, MT. "Tacitus and the Final Rites of Agrippina: Annals 14, 9." Studies in Latin Literature and Roman History Collection LatomusXIV (2008): 375-93.
- Boatwright, MT, "'Res bene gestae’: Ricerche di storia urbana su Roma antica in onore di Eva Margareta Steinby". (2009). [html]
- Boatwright, MT. "Just Window Dressing? Imperial Women as Architectural Sculpture." I Claudia II (2000): 61-75.