- Barnes, NE, Intimate Communities Wartime Healthcare and the Birth of Modern China, 1937-1945
pp. 324 pages, University of California Press [abs].
- Barnes, NE, China’s War with Japan 1937–1945: The Struggle for Survival, by Rana Mitter. London: Allen Lane, 2013. xxii+458 pp. £25.00 (cloth), £14.99 (eBook).,
The China Journal, vol. 75
pp. 128-130, University of Chicago Press [doi] .
- Barnes, NE, Regulating Prostitution in China: Gender and Local Statebuilding, 1900–1937. written by Elizabeth J. Remick, 2014,
Nan Nü, vol. 17 no. 2
pp. 352-355, Brill [doi] .
- Barnes, NE, Neither Donkey nor Horse: Medicine in the Struggle over China’s Modernity by Sean Hsiang-Lin Lei,
Bulletin of the History of Medicine, vol. 89 no. 4
pp. 835-836, Project Muse [Gateway.cgi], [doi] .
- Barnes, NE, Prosperity's Predicament: Identity, Reform, and Resistance in Rural Wartime China. By Isabel Brown Crook
Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield, 2013. xxiv, 301 pp. $85.00 (cloth).,
The Journal of Asian Studies, vol. 73 no. 3
pp. 786-787, Cambridge University Press (CUP) [Gateway.cgi], [doi] .
- Nicole Elizabeth Barnes, Disease in the Capital: Nationalist Health Services and the ‘Sick (Wo)man of East Asia’ in Wartime Chongqing,
European Journal of East Asian Studies, vol. 11 no. 2
pp. 283-303 .
- Barnes, NE; Watt, JR, The influence of war on China's modern health systems,
in Medical Transitions in Twentieth-Century China, edited by Bridie Andrews and Mary Brown Bullock
pp. 227-243, Indiana University Press .
- 江松月， Nicole Elizabeth Barnes, 《贝医生：一位美国医学传教士在重庆》(Dr. Basil: An American Medical Missionary in Chongqing),
in 开埠文化专辑：重庆市南岸区历史文化系列丛书 (Cultural Foundations: Historical Materials of Nan’an District, Chongqing)
pp. 255-61, Nan'an Zhengxie Publishing House .