Assoicate Professor of the Practice of and DanceEducation:
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin at Madison 2000
- Ph.D. Performance Studies and Ethnography University of Wisconsin, Madison 2000
- MA in Dance Ethnology University of California, Los Angeles 1992
- M.A. University of California at Los Angeles 1992
Representative Publications (More Publications)
- Shah, P. "Performing Migration: the Journeys of Indian Dance in America." Attendance: the Dance Annual of India 15 (2013): 54-61.
- Shah, Purnima. Documentary film, Dancing with the Goddess: the Ras-Garba Traditions of Gujarat.. 2012.
- Shah, P. "“Dance: 1200-1900 CE” Cultural Sociology of West, Central and South Asia.." Cultural Sociology of the Middle East, Asia and Africa Encyclopedia. Sage Reference IV, part II (2012).
- Shah, P. Bhakti Andolana Prerita Natya ane Nrtya Prakaromam Bhaktirasa ane Madhuryabhava = The Concept of Bhaktirasa and Madhurabhava in the Bhakti Genre of Indian Dance-Theatre.. B. J. Institue of Learning and Research,
- Shah, P. "Physio-Spiritual Transcendence through the Practice of Devotional Dance-Theatre in India." Repertorio: Teatro & Danca, University of Bahia 15:18 (2012): 43-48. [abs]
- Shah, Purnima. Editor, South Asia and South-east Asia Volume,. 2006-09.
- Shah, Purnima. Garba Dance and Goddess Worship in Gujarat, India (in-progress). 2013.
- Shah, P. "Randala Ritual: Women’s Heritage and Identity in Gujarat, India." Ritual, Heritage and Identity: The Politics of Culture and Performance in a Globalized World (2011).
- Shah, P. "Innovative Approaches in Contemporary Kathak Dance: a Choreographic Appreciation." Nartanam, a Quarterly Journal of Indian Dance XI:3 (September,
- Shah, P. "Some Issues on Gender Politics in the Bhakti Genre of Dance-Theatre Performance." Samipya Journal of Indology XXV:3-4 (October,
- Shah, P. "Negotiating Gender in Contemporary Kathak Dance Choreography." Samipya Journal of Indology XXV:1-2 (April,