Roxanne Springer, Professor
Office Location: 252 Physics
Office Phone: (919) 660-2676
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Page: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rps/
PhD, California Institute of Technology, 1990
Research Categories: Theoretical Nuclear and Particle Physics
Research Description: Prof. Roxanne Springer works on weak interactions (the force responsible for nuclear beta decay) and quantum chromodynamics (QCD, the force that binds quarks into hadrons). The weak interactions are an excellent place to look for fundamental symmetry violations which may occur in nature, while the study of QCD is necessary for understanding protons, neutrons, and their partner particles. Dr. Springer uses effective theories involving these forces to study processes in both nuclear and particle physics.
Teaching (Spring 2015):
- Physics 153l.01, Applications of physics
- Physics 154, MW 11:45 AM-01:00 PM
- Physics 153l9.01, Appl of physics (lab)
- Physics 147, M 01:15 PM-03:15 PM
- Physics 153l9.02, Appl of physics (lab)
- Physics 147, M 03:30 PM-05:30 PM
- Physics 153ld.01, Appl of physics (dis)
- Physics 299, Tu 01:15 PM-03:15 PM
- J Vanasse, D Egolf, J Kerin, S Konig, and R Springer, He-3 and pd scattering to next-to-leading order in pionless effective field theory,
Physical Review C, vol. 89
(12 June 2014),
pp. 064003 .
- M. Schindler and R. Springer, Parity Violation in the Few-Nucleon System, edited by A. Faessler,
Progress in Particle and Nuclear Physics, vol. 72
pp. 1-43 [doi] .
- M. Ahmed, A. Champagne, B. Holstein, C. Howell, M. Snow, R. Springer, and Y. Wu, Parity Violation in Photonuclear Reactions at HIGS – Submission to Snowmass 2013: Intensity Frontier, arXiv:1307.8178
(July, 2013) [author's comments].
- H. Gao, S.S. Jawalker, M.R. Schindler, W.M. Snow, R. Springer, and Y. Wu, Parity Violation in Photonuclear Reactions at HIGS
(2012 Aug 10) [pdf] [author's comments].
- M.W. Ahmed, A.E. Champagne, C.R. Howell, W.M. Snow, R.P. Springer, and Y. Wu, HIGS2: The Next Generation Compton $\gamma$-ray Source
(Sep 2012) [pdf] [author's comments].
Physics Department Goals and Policy on Conduct
- Postdocs Mentored
- Jared Vanasse (Aug 2012 -- present)
- Andriy Badin (25 Aug 2010 -- 15 June 2012)
- Brian Tiburzi (2004 - 2007)
- Fabrizio Gabbiani (1997/08-2000/08)
- Silas Beane (1995/09-1997/09)