William Johnson, Divisional Dean of Humanities
- Contact Info:
- Office Hours:
- Office hours only appointment, on Zoom
- Ph.D. Yale University 1992
- M.A. in Greek Literature University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 1981
- BA in English Literature & Latin Literature Oberlin College 1978
- Research Interests:
Greek historiography; Greek and Roman literature and cultural history; ancient books and readers; ancient music; literary papyri
- Curriculum Vitae
- Representative Publications
- Johnson, W, Ancient Literacies: The Culture of Reading in Greece and Rome, edited by Johnson, WA; Parker, H
pp. 1-448, Oxford University Press [doi] [abs] [author's comments].
- Johnson, WA, Bookrolls and scribes in oxyrhynchus
pp. 1-414, University of Toronto Press [abs] [author's comments].
- Johnson, WA, The Oxyrhynchus Distributions in America: Papyri and Ethics,
- Johnson, WA, Libraries and Reading Culture in the High Empire,
in Ancient Libraries, edited by Woolf, G
(2013), Cambridge University Press.
- Johnson, WA, Pliny Epistle. 9.36 and Demosthenes' Cave,
Classical World, vol. 106 no. 4
pp. 665-668 [abs].
- Johnson, WA, Cicero and Tyrannio: Mens addita videtur meis aedibus (ad Atticum iv.8.2),
Classical World, vol. 105 no. 4
pp. 471-477 [doi] [abs].
- Johnson, WA, Teaching the Children How to Read: The Syllabary,
Classical Journal, vol. 103 no. 4
pp. 445-463, Classical Association of the Middle West and South, Inc (CAMWS) [doi].
- Johnson, WA, The Ancient Book,
in The Oxford Handbook of Papyrology, edited by Bagnall, R
(2009), Oxford University Press.
- Johnson, WA, Hesiod's Theogony: Reading the Proem as a Priamel,
Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies, vol. 46 no. 3
- Johnson, WA, The Posidippus Papyrus: Bookroll and Reader,
in The New Posidippus: A Hellenistic Poetry Book, edited by Gutzwiller, K
(2005), Oxford University Press.
- Johnson, WA, Reading cultures and education,
in Reading Between the Lines: New Perspectives on Foreign Language Literacies, edited by Patrikis, P
(2002), Yale University Press.
- Johnson, WA, New instrumental music from Graeco-Roman Egypt,
Bulletin of the American Society of Papyrologists, vol. 37
pp. 17-36 (Appeared 2001.).
- Johnson, WA, Musical Evenings in the Early Empire: New Evidence from a Greek Papyrus with Musical Notation,
Journal of Hellenic Studies, vol. 120
pp. 57-85, Cambridge University Press (CUP) [doi] [abs].
- Johnson, WA, Toward a sociology of reading in classical antiquity,
American Journal of Philology, vol. 121
pp. 593-627 (Appeared 2001. Winner of the 2000 Gildersleeve
- Johnson, WA, Dramatic Frame and Philosophic Idea in Plato,
The American Journal of Philology, vol. 119
- Johnson, WA, Oral Performance and the Composition of Herodotus' Histories,
Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies, vol. 35
pp. 229-254 (appeared Fall 1995.).
Duke University * Arts & Sciences * Faculty * Staff * Reload * Login