William G. Wilson, Associate Professor of Biology and CNCS: Center for nonlinear and complex systems
I earned my physics Ph.D. at the University of Hawaii on a topic in condensed matter theory using computer simulations and mathematics. I transferred those interdisciplinary skills to geophysics, fluid flow, and theoretical evolutionary ecology at the University of Calgary and UC Santa Barbara. In 2001 I earned tenure in the Duke Zoology department, which then merged with Botany into Biology. In 2007, amid funding difficulties, I directed my studies toward urban environmental issues and environmental inequities. I published two books, Constructed Climates (2011) and Stormwater (2016), with University of Chicago Press.
- Contact Info:
Teaching (Spring 2021):
- BIOLOGY 156S.01, ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
- Online ON, MW 03:30 PM-04:45 PM
|Ph.D.||University of Hawaii, Manoa||1988|
|BS Physics/Math||St. Cloud State University||1981|
|B.A.||St. Cloud State University||1981|
Ecology and Population Biology
.............(faculty research areas)
- Research Interests: Theoretical ecology and evolution
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Aaron Ashih
- Curtis Smith
- Jenn Nelson
- Postdocs Mentored
- Shane Richards (December 26, 1998 - 2000)
- Recent Publications
- W.G. Wilson, Stormwater: A resource for scientists and policy makers.
(2016), University of Chicago Press.
- Tanner, CJ; Adler, FR; Grimm, NB; Groffman, PM; Levin, SA; Munshi-South, J; Pataki, DE; Pavao-Zuckerman, M; Wilson, WG, Urban ecology: Advancing science and society,
Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, vol. 12 no. 10
pp. 574-581, WILEY, ISSN 1540-9295 [doi] [abs]
- Gibson, WT; Wilson, WG, Individual-based chaos: extensions of the discrete logistic model.,
Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 339
pp. 84-92, ISSN 0022-5193 [doi] [abs]
- Mitchell, RJ; Wilson, WG; Holmquist, KG; Karron, JD, Influence of pollen transport dynamics on sire profiles and multiple paternity in flowering plants.,
Plos One, vol. 8 no. 10
pp. e76312, ISSN 1932-6203 [doi] [abs]
- W.G. Wilson, Constructed Climates: A Primer on Urban Environments.
(2011), University of Chicago Press.