Jianfeng Lu, Professor
Jianfeng Lu is an applied mathematician interested in mathematical analysis and algorithm development for problems from computational physics, theoretical chemistry, materials science and other related fields.
More specifically, his current research focuses include:
Electronic structure and many body problems; quantum molecular dynamics; multiscale modeling and analysis; rare events and sampling techniques.
- Contact Info:
Teaching (Fall 2023):
- MATH 555.01, ORDINARY DIFF EQUATIONS
- Gross Hall 324, TuTh 10:05 AM-11:20 AM
- Office Hours:
- By email appointments
- Research Interests:
Mathematical analysis and algorithm development for problems from
computational physics, theoretical chemistry, materials science and others.
Electronic structure and many body problems;
Multiscale modeling and analysis; and
Rare events and sampling techniques.
- Areas of Interest:
- Applied Mathematics
Partial Differential Equations
- Curriculum Vitae
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Haizhao Yang (July, 2015 - present)
- Zhennan Zhou (August, 2014 - present)
- Undergraduate Research Supervised
- Jeremy Tay (September, 2015 - December, 2015)
- Fuchsia Chen (January, 2015 - September, 2015)
- Leslie Lei (May, 2013 - May, 2014)
- Recent Publications
- Cao, Y; Lu, J; Wang, L, On Explicit L2 -Convergence Rate Estimate for Underdamped Langevin Dynamics,
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, vol. 247 no. 5
(October, 2023) [doi] [abs]
- Wang, M; Lu, J, Neural Network-Based Variational Methods for Solving Quadratic Porous Medium Equations in High Dimensions,
Communications in Mathematics and Statistics, vol. 11 no. 1
pp. 21-57 [doi] [abs]
- Bierman, J; Li, Y; Lu, J, Improving the Accuracy of Variational Quantum Eigensolvers with Fewer Qubits Using Orbital Optimization.,
Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation, vol. 19 no. 3
pp. 790-798 [doi] [abs]
- Cai, Z; Lu, J; Yang, S, NUMERICAL ANALYSIS FOR INCHWORM MONTE CARLO METHOD: SIGN PROBLEM AND ERROR GROWTH,
Mathematics of Computation, vol. 92 no. 341
pp. 1141-1209, American Mathematical Society (AMS) [doi] [abs]
- Chen, Z; Lu, J; Lu, Y; Zhou, S, A REGULARITY THEORY FOR STATIC SCHRÖDINGER EQUATIONS ON R d IN SPECTRAL BARRON SPACES,
Siam Journal on Mathematical Analysis, vol. 55 no. 1
pp. 557-570 [doi] [abs]
- Recent Grant Support
- Innovation of Numerical Methods for High-Dimensional Partial Differential Equations, National Science Foundation, 2023/08-2026/07.
- New computational methods to dynamically pinpointing the subregions carrying disease-associated rare variants, National Institutes of Health, 2022/09-2026/07.
- RTG: Training Tomorrow's Workforce in Analysis and Applications, National Science Foundation, 2021/07-2026/06.
- NRT-HDR: Harnessing AI for Autonomous Material Design, National Science Foundation, 2020/09-2025/08.
- FET: Small: Efficient Inference Tools for Quantum Systems: Algorithms, Applications, and Analysis, National Science Foundation, 2019/10-2023/09.
- HDR TRIPODS: Innovations in Data Science: Integrating Stochastic Modeling, Data Representation, and Algorithms, National Science Foundation, 2019/10-2023/09.
- EAGER-QAC-QSA: Resource Reduction in Quantum Computational Chemistry Mapping by Optimizing Orbital Basis Sets, National Science Foundation, 2020/09-2023/08.
- Innovation of Numerical Methods for High-Dimensional Problems, National Science Foundation, 2020/07-2023/06.
- Quantum Computing in Chemical and Material Sciences, Department of Energy, 2018/09-2022/09.
- Collaborative Research: SI2-SSI: ELSI-Infrastructure for Scalable Electronic Structure Theory, National Science Foundation, 1450280, 2015/06-2022/05.
- Quantum Computing in Chemical and Material Sciences, Department of Energy, 2018/09-2021/09.