- Hal Brands. What Good is Grand Strategy? Power and Purpose in American Statecraft from Harry S Truman to George W. Bush. Cornell University Press, 2014.
- H. Brands and P. Feaver. "Common Fallacies and Uncommon Fixes in the American Grand Strategy Debate." RAND Corporation Working Paper, September, 2012
- Hal Brands. The Promise and Pitfalls of Grand Strategy. Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College, August, 2012.
- Hal Brands, David Palkki. "Conspiring Bastards: Saddam Hussein's Strategic View of the United States." Diplomatic History (June, 2012).
- Hal Brands. "Saddam Hussein, the United States, and the Invasion of Iran: Was There a Green Light?." Cold War History 12 (June, 2012).
- H. Brands. "Diplomatic Milestones, 1992-2000: Dilemmas of the Post-Cold War Era." Guide to U.S. Foreign Policy: A Diplomatic History.
Ed. Robert J. McMahon and Thomas W. Zeiler CQ Press, 2012: 503-516.
- H. Brands. "Saddam and Israel: What do the New Iraqi Records Reveal?." Diplomacy & Statecraft 22.3 (September, 2011).
- Hal Brands. "Making the Conspiracy Theorist a Prophet: Covert Action and the Contours of U.S.-Iraq Relations." International History Review (September, 2011).
- Hal Brands, David Palkki. "Why Did Saddam Want the Bomb? The Israel Factor and the Iraqi Nuclear Program." Foreign Policy Research Institute E-Notes (August, 2011).
- Hal Brands, David Palkki. ""Saddam, Israel, and the Bomb: Nuclear Alarmism Justified?"." International Security 36.1 (Summer, 2011).
- Hal Brands. "Reform, Democratization, and Counter-Insurgency: Evaluating the U.S. Experience in Cold War Latin America." Small Wars & Insurgencies 22.2 (Summer, 2011).
- H. Brands. "Why Did Saddam Invade Iran? New Evidence on Motives, Complexity, and the Israel Factor." Journal of Military History (Summer, 2011).
- Hal Brands. "Crime, Irregular Warfare, and Institutional Failure in Latin America: Guatemala as a Case Study." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 34.3 (March, 2011).
- Hal Brands. "Evaluating Brazilian Grand Strategy under Lula." Comparative Strategy 31.1 (Spring, 2011).
- Hal Brands. "Inside the Iraqi State Records: Saddam Hussein, Irangate, and the United States." Journal of Strategic Studies 34 (February, 2011).
- Hal Brands. "Criminal Fiefdoms in Latin America: Understanding the Problem of Alternatively Governed Spaces." September, 2010 Policy paper prepared for US SOUTHCOM
- Hal Brands. Dilemmas of Brazilian Grand Strategy. Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College, September, 2010. [display.cfm]
- Hal Brands. "The United States and the Peruvian Challenge, 1968-1975." Diplomacy & Statecraft 20 (September, 2010). [pdf]
- Hal Brands. Crime, Violence, and the Crisis in Guatemala: A Case Study in the Erosion of the State. Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College, May, 2010. [display.cfm]
- Hal Brands. Latin America's Cold War. Harvard University Press, 2010. (Paperback released in 2012)
- Hal Brands. "El renacimiento populista, el crecimiento del centro, y la politica de los Estados Unidos en Latinoamerica." Air and Space Power Journal (Spanish Edition) (Primer Trimestre 2010). (Also published as "Como Enfrentar a Desarmonia na América Latina: O Resurgimento Populista, a Emergência do Centro e as
Inferências para as Diretrizes Norte-Americanas," in Air and Space Power Journal (Portuguese Edition), 2nd Trimester 2010.)
- Hal Brands. Gangs and the New Insurgency in Latin America. World Politics Review
(June 10, 2009).
- Hal Brands. Mexico's Narco-Insurgency. World Politics Review
(December 22, 2008).
- H. Brands. Lo que no funcionará de nuevo. El Universal
(August 31, 2008).
- Hal Brands. U.S. Plan to Fight Drugs in Mexico Bound to Falter Without Changes. San Jose Mercury News, LA Progressive, Tri-Cities Herald, Delaware State News, and other media outlets
(July 27, 2008).
- Hal Brands. The War on Terror Has Fizzled. Hartford Courant
(September 2, 2007).
- Hal Brands. Political Ferment in Latin America: The Populist Resurgence, the Rise of the Center, and Implications for U.S. Policy. Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College, September, 2009.
- Hal Brands. "Los Zetas and Mexico's Transnational Drug War." World Politics Review (September, 2009).
- H. Brands. The Rise of the Center in Latin America. World Politics Review
- Hal Brands. "Third Generation Gangs and Criminal Insurgency in Latin America." Small Wars Journal (July, 2009).
- Hal Brands. Mexico's Narco-Insurgency and U.S. Counter-Drug Policy. Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College, May, 2009.
- Hal Brands. "Los Zetas: Inside Mexico's Most Dangerous Drug Gang." Air and Space Power Journal (Spanish Edition) (Tercer Trimestre 2009).
- Hal Brands. "Economic Development and the Contours of U.S. Foreign Policy: The Nixon Administration's Approach to Latin America, 1969–1974." Peace & Change 33 (April, 2008). [pdf]
- Hal Brands. "Third-World Politics in an Age of Global Upheaval: The Latin American Challenge to U.S. and Western Hegemony, 1965-1975." Diplomatic History 32.1 (January, 2008). [pdf]
- Hal Brands. From Berlin to Baghdad: America's Search for Purpose in the Post-Cold War World. University Press of Kentucky, 2008.
- Hal Brands. "Non-Proliferation and the Dynamics of the Middle Cold War: The Superpowers, the MLF, and the NPT." Cold War History 7 (August, 2007).
- Hal Brands. "Richard Nixon and Economic Nationalism in Latin America: The Problem of Expropriations, 1969-1974." Diplomacy & Statecraft 17 (January, 2007).
- Hal Brands. "Who Saved the Emperor? The MacArthur Myth and U.S. Policy toward Hirohito and the Japanese Imperial Institution, 1942-1946." Pacific Historical Review 75 (May, 2006).
- Hal Brands. "Progress Unseen: U.S. Arms Control Policy and the Origins of Détente, 1963–1968." Diplomatic History 30 (April, 2006). [pdf]
- Hal Brands. "Rethinking Nonproliferation: LBJ, the Gilpatric Committee, and U.S. National Security Policy." Journal of Cold War Studies 8 (Spring, 2006).
- Hal Brands. "The Emperor's New Clothes: American Views of Hirohito after World War II." The Historian 68 (February, 2006).
- Hal Brands. "Rhetoric, Public Opinion, and Policy in the American Debate over the Japanese Emperor during World War II." Rhetoric & Public Affairs 8 (November, 2005).
- Hal Brands. "WARTIME RECRUITING PRACTICES, MARTIAL IDENTITY AND POST-WORLD WAR II DEMOBILIZATION IN COLONIAL KENYA." Journal of African History 46 (March, 2005).
- Hal Brands. "Lyndon Johnson and Chinese Representation Policy in the United Nations." American Diplomacy 9 (August, 2004).