- PhD, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 1982
- MA, Northwestern University,
- BS, Northwestern University,
Professor Gaines is Visiting Professor, Film Division, School of the Arts, Columbia University, during academic year 2007 - 08. Founder of the Program in Film/Video/Digital and founder of the Duke in Los Angeles Program. She won the Katherine Singer Kovacs prize for Fire and Desire: Mixed- Blood Movies in the Silent Era (University of Chicago Press, 2001). The only member of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies to win the award two times, she received it earlier for Contested Culture: The Image, the Voice, and the Law (University of North Carolina Press, 1991). In November, 2001, she received the coveted Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Scholarly Award for her forthcoming book on early cinema, Fictioning Histories: Women Film Pioneers (University of Illinois Press). In Spring 2006, Prof. Gaines was Kirsten Hesselgren Research Chair at the University of Stockholm and taught at the Norwegian Institute of Science and Technology.
Representative Publications (More Publications)
- Jane M. Gaines. Contested Culture: The Image, the Voice, and the Law. forthcoming . Second edition, forthcoming; Spanish
translation, Marcial Pons Ediciones, Madrid,
- Jane M. Gaines. Fire and Desire: Mixed Race Movies in the Silent Era. University of Chicago Press, 2001 .
Articles in a Journal
- with Pearl Bowser and Charles Musser, eds.. Oscar Micheaux and His Circle: African American Filmmaking and Race Cinema of the Silent Era. Indiana University Press, 2001 ().
- Jane M. Gaines and Michael Renov, eds.. Collecting Visible Evidence. University of Minnesota Press, 1999 ().
- Jane M. Gaines, editor. Classical Hollywood Narrative: The Paradigm Wars. Duke University Press, 1992 ().
- with Jane M. Gaines and Monica Dall' Asta. Women Film Pioneers: An International Sourcebook (Europe, Canada, Asia). University of Illinois Press
vol. II, forthcoming (). [author's comments]
Articles Accepted in Journal
- J.M. Gaines. "First Fictions." Signs 30.1 (Fall, 2004): 1293 - 1317. [author's comments]
- J.M. Gaines. "Sexual Semiosis." Duke Journal of Gender Law and Policy 11 (Spring, 2004): 55 - 67. [author's comments]
Articles in a Collection
- J.M. Gaines. "Early Cinema's Heyday of Copying." Cultural Studies 20.2 - 3 (June, 2006): 227 - 244.
- J.M. Gaines. "In and Out of Race." Women and Performance 29 (December, 2005). [author's comments]
- Jane M. Gaines. "Machines That Make the Body Do Things." More Dirty Looks
Ed. Pamela Church-Gibson. British Film Institute, Fall, 2003.