Ruth W. Grant, Professor of Political Science and Philosophy edit|
Office Location: 140 Science Drive, 204H Gross
Office Phone: (919) 660-4316
Fax: (919) 660-4330
Web Page: http://www.duke.edu/~grant/
PhD, University of Chicago, 1984
M.A., University of Chicago, 1975
B.A. with honors, University of Chicago, 1971
Teaching (Spring 2014):
- Research Interests: Politics and Ethics, Early Modern Political Philosophy
- Ruth Grant is a Professor of Political Science at Duke University, specializing in political theory with a particular interest in early modern philosophy and political ethics. She is the author of John Locke's Liberalism and of Hypocrisy and Integrity: Machiavelli, Rousseau and the Ethics of Politics. She is also the editor of two collections of essays; Naming Evil, Judging Evil and In Search of Goodness. Her most recent book is Strings Attached: Untangling Ethics of Incentives. For further information please visit http://www.facebook.com/stringsattachedbook. Her work originally focused on the historical study of liberal thought and has moved increasingly toward contemporary ethics. Her articles have appeared in a variety of journals including APSR, Political Theory, Journal of Politics, and Politics and Society. She has received fellowship awards from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the American Council of Learned Societies, the National Humanities Center, and the Russell Sage Foundation, and a teaching award from Duke University.
- ETHICS 101D.001, Challenges living ethical life
- East Duke 204B, M 10:05 AM-10:55 AM; Soc/Psych 127, W 10:05 AM-11:20 AM
- ETHICS 101D.01D, Challenges living ethical life
- Friedl Bdg 118, F 10:20 AM-11:10 AM
- ETHICS 101D.02D, Challenges living ethical life
- Carr 106, F 12:00 PM-12:50 PM
- POLSCI 675S.01, Eco/soc/moral 18c thought
- Social Sciences 107, MW 03:05 PM-04:20 PM
Teaching (Fall 2014):
- POLSCI 268.01, Politics and literature
- TBA, TuTh 10:05 AM-11:20 AM
- Recent Publications
- R.W. Grant. "John Locke on Custom's Power and Reason's Authority." Review of Politics (Fall, 2012).
- R.W. Grant. Strings Attached: Untangling t he Ethics of Incentives. Princeton University Press and Russell Sage Foundation, 2012.
- In Search of Goodness.
Edited by Ruth W. Grant. University of Chicago Press, 2011.
- R.W. Grant. "Passions and Interests Revisited: the Psychological Foundations of Economics and Politics." Public Choice (forthcoming).
- R.W. Grant. "Ethics and Incentives: A Political Approach." American Political Science Review (February, 2006).
- Curriculum Vitae