Alfred T. Goshaw, J. B. Duke Professor
Office Location: 277 Physics
Office Phone: (919) 660-2584
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Page: http://fds.duke.edu/db/aas/Physics/faculty/goshaw
Experimental high energy physics
Research Categories: Experimental High Energy Physics
Research Description: Professor Goshaw current research is focused on the study of Nature's most massive particles, the W and Z bosons (carriers of the weak force) and the top quark (discovered in 1994). These studies have been carried out using 1.96 TeV proton-antiproton collisions provided by Fermilab's Tevatron, and analyzed using the CDF detector. Current studies concentrate on measurements of the tri-linear coupling among the photon, W boson and Z boson, as tests of the non-abelian character of the electroweak force carriers.
His research in the next five years will be focused on searches for phenomena beyond those predicted by the Standard Model, using precision measurements of the production of high energy photons, leptons and penetrating neutral particles such as neutrinos. In 2012, this research will be carried out at the high energy frontier using the ATLAS detector at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.
- A.T. Goshaw and the ATLAS Collaboration, Measurements of Wg and Zg production in pp colisions at 8 TEV,
Phys. Rev. D 87, 112003
- A.T. Goshaw and the ATLAS collaboration, Measurement of Wg and Zg production in pp collisions at root(s) = 7 TeV and limits on anomalous triple gauge couplings,
Physics Letters B 717 (2012) 49-69
(September, 2012) .
- A.T. Goshaw and the ATLAS collaboration, Observation of a new particle in the search for the SM Higgs boson,
Physics Letters B 176 (2012) 1-29.
(August, 2012) .
- A. T. Goshaw and the CDF Collboration, Measurement of the W boson rare decay to a pion plus photon,
Phys.Rev D 85, 032001 (2012)
(February, 2012) .
- A.T. Goshaw (CDF Collaboration), Limits on Anomalous Gauge Couplings in Z-photon events,
Phys. Rev. Letters 107, 051802 (2011)
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Andrea Bocci (October, 2005 - present)
- Yimei Huang (2002/05-2003/12)
- Peter Tamburello (1997/09-2002/05)