Glenn Edwards, Professor
Office Location: 2314 French
Office Phone: (919) 660-2674
Email Address: email@example.com
Research Categories: Biological Physics
Research Description: Glenn Edwards investigates biological systems using a range of experimental techniques and theoretical methods from physics. His interests include Investigations of energy transduction where laser energy transforms into vibrational energy of biological molecules which then transforms into heat and pressure pulses that selectively drive tissue-scale dynamics. This line of research has led to human surgical applications of Free-Electron Lasers and spin-off laser technology. Another interest includes investigations of how biology harnesses physical mechanisms in biomechanical processes. This line of research investigates tissue dynamics and pattern formation during early development in Drosophila embryos.
Teaching (Fall 2013):
- Physics 362.01, Electricity & magnetism
- Physics 154, MW 11:45 AM-01:00 PM
- Heng Lu, Adam Sokolow, Daniel P. Kiehart, and Glenn S. Edwards, Turgor pressure and dorsal closure zipping dynamics during Drosophila development
(Submitted, 2012) .
- Adam Sokolow, Yusuke Toyama, Dan Kiehart, and Glenn Edwards, Cell Ingression and Apical Shape Oscillations During Dorsal Closure in Drosophila,
Biophysical Journal, vol. 102
pp. 969-979 .
- Anita T. Layton, Yusuke Toyama, Guo-Qiang Yang, Glenn S. Edwards, Daniel P. Kiehart, and Stephanos Venakides, Drosophila Morphogenesis: Tissue Force Laws and the Modeling of Dorsal Closure,
Human Frontier Science Program Journal, vol. 3 no. 6
pp. doi:10.2976/1.3266062 .
- Wolfgang Wagner, Adam Sokolow, Robert Pearlstein, and Glenn Edwards, Thermal Vapor Bubble and Pressure Dynamics During Infrared Laser Ablation of Tissue,
Applied Physics Letters, vol. 94 no. 013901
- W.D. Bush, J. Garguilo, F. A. Zucca, C. Bellei, R.J. Nemanich, G.S. Edwards, L. Zecca, and J. Simon, Neuromelanins Isolated From Different Regions of the Brain Exhibit a Common Surface Photoionization Threshold,
Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 85
pp. 387-390 .
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Adam C. Sokolow (May, 2011 - September, 2012)
- Heng Lu (October 2010 - present)
- Wolfgang Wagner (2006 - 2007)
- Yusuke Toyama (August 1, 2003 - March 31, 2010)
- Xomalin Peralta (2002 - 2007)
- Suzanne Hauger (1999/10-2000/06)
- M. Shane Hutson (1999/10-2003/08)
- Brian Keay (1996/04-1999/08)