Roberto E Cabeza, Professor and
Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience Program Director
My laboratory investigates the neural correlates of memory and cognition in young and older adults using fMRI. We have three main lines of research: First, we distinguish the neural correlates of various episodic memory processes. For example, we have compared encoding vs. retrieval, item vs. source memory, recall vs. recognition, true vs. false memory, and emotional vs. nonemotional memory. We are particularly interested in the contribution of prefrontal cortex (PFC) and medial temporal lobe (MTL) subregions and their interactions.
Second, we investigate similarities and differences between the neural correlates of episodic memory and other memory and cognitive functions (working, semantic, implicit, and procedural memory; attention; perception, etc.). The main goal of this cross-functional approach is to understand the contributions of brain regions shared by different cognitive functions.
Finally, in both episodic memory and cross-function studies, we also examine the effects of healthy and pathological aging. Regarding episodic memory, we have linked processes differentially affected by aging (e.g., item vs. source memory, recall vs. recognition) to the effects of aging on specific PFC and MTL subregions. Regarding cross-function comparisons, we identify age-related changes in activity that are common to various functions. For example, we have found an age-related increase in bilaterality that occurs for many functions (memory, attention, language, perception, and motor) and is associated with functional compensation.
Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience
- St. Jacques, P.L., Dolcos, F., Cabeza, R. (2009). Effects of aging on functional connectivity of the amygdala during subsequent memory for negative pictures: A network analysis of fMRI data. Psychological Science, 20(74-84).
- Davis, S.W., Dennis, N.A., Buchler, N.E.G., Madden, D.J., White, L.E., Cabeza, R. (2009). Assessing the effects of aging on long white matter tracts using diffusion tensor imaging. Neuroimage, 46, 530-541.
- Cabeza, R., Ciaramelli, E., Olson, I. R., Moscovitch, M. (2008).
Parietal Cortex and Episodic Memory: An Attentional Account. Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 9, 613-625.
- Dennis, N.A., Hayes, S.M., Prince, S.E., Madden, D.J., Huettel, S.A., & Cabeza, R. (2008).
Effects of aging on the neural correlates of successful item and source memory encoding. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, & Cognition, 34, 791-808.
- Dennis, N.A., Kim, H. & Cabeza, R. (2008).
Age-related differences in brain activity during true and false memory retrieval. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 20, 1390-1402.
- St. Jacques, P.L., Rubin, D.C., LaBar, K.S., & Cabeza, R. (2008).
The short and long of it: Neural correlates of temporal-order memory for autobiographical events. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 20, 1327-1341.
- Davis, S.W., Dennis, N.A., Fleck, M.S., Daselaar, S.M., Cabeza, R. (2008).
Que PASA?: The posterior-anterior shift in aging. Cerebral Cortex, 18, 1201-1209.
- Daselaar, S.M, Rice,H.J. Greenberg, D.L, Cabeza, R., LaBar, K.S., and Rubin, D.C. (2008).
The spatiotemporal dynamics of autobiographical memory: Neural correlates of recall, emotional intensity, and reliving. Cerebral Cortex, 18, 217-219.
- Ritchey, M., Dolcos, F., Cabeza, R. (2008).
Role of amygdala connectivity in the persistence of emotional memories over time: An event-related fMRI investigation. Cerebral Cortex, 18, 2494-2504.
- Kim, H. & Cabeza, R (2007). Trusting our memories: Dissociating the neural correlates of confidence in veridical vs. illusory memories. Journal of Neuroscience, 27, 12190-12197.
- Kim, H. & Cabeza, R (2007). Differential contributions of prefrontal, medial temporal, and sensory-perceptual regions to true and false memory formation. Cerebral Cortex, 17, 2143-2150.
- Prince, S. E., Tsukiura, T., Daselaar, S. M., & Cabeza, R (2007). Distinguishing the neural correlates of episodic memory encoding and semantic memory retrieval. Psychological Science.
- Dennis, N.A., Daselaar, S.M., & Cabeza R (2007). Effects of aging on transient and sustained successful memory encoding activity. Neurobiology of Aging.
- Cabeza, R. & St. Jacques, P. L. (2007). Functional neuroimaging of autobiographical memory. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 11, 219-227.
Courses (Fall 2014):
- Psy 102.01, Cognitive psychology
- Soc/psych 130, TuTh 01:25 PM-02:40 PM
- Psy 102.01d, Cognitive psychology
- Old chem 123, Tu 03:20 PM-04:10 PM
- Psy 102.02d, Cognitive psychology
- Social sciences 228, Tu 04:55 PM-05:45 PM
- Psy 102.03d, Cognitive psychology
- Soc/psych 319, W 10:20 AM-11:10 AM
- Psy 102.04d, Cognitive psychology
- Bio sci 154, W 01:40 PM-02:30 PM
- Postdocs Mentored
- Wei-chun Wang (2013 - present)
- Simon Davis (2013 - present)
- Nichole Lighthall (August 2012 - present)
- Ilana Dew (2010 - 2013)
- Alexandra Atkins (2009 - 2012)
- Brandy Bessette-Symons (2008 - 2009)
- Norbou Buchler (2007 - 2009)
- Anne Botzung (2006 - 2012)
- Scott Hayes (2006 - 2009)
- Florin Dolcos (2006-2007)
- Nancy Dennis (2004 - 2008)
- Sander Daselaar (2002-2005)